Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Green Manalishi live - versions with guitar rather than bass solo

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been trying to reach back into my memory to figure out which FM concert I heard many years ago on WNEW - NYC in the very early seventies.

It was this concert broadcast that sent me running to find any and all early FM recordings. The thing that now seems unique was that rather than a six string bass solo in the second half of GM, there was a protracted regular guitar solo from PG, I assume.

However, most concert recordings I have come across over the years have the six string bass, rather than the guitar work.

Were there many performances of GM where PG played guitar rather than six string bass during the solo? Right now, the only recording I have which features this is one of the Warehouse in New Orleans concerts.

Then again, maybe it's DK playing the guitar solo on this one, and I'm way off bass (forgive the pun).

Paolo

Last edited by damianip; 11-29-2012 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome to the board, Paolo! That's an interesting question. IIRC, there are some performances where Peter starts out on bass for his solo but then switches back to guitar - I think Stockholm in April 1970 was one example and there may well be others as well. But I don't know that this Stockholm show was recorded for radio so I'd be surprised if it had showed up on that NYC station.

I know that bits from the BBC show recorded at the Paris Cinema in London from April 1970 showed up on radio now and then in the '70s - I remember hearing that version of "Rattlesnake Shake / Underway" back then and it was years before I found out where the recording was from. But I believe the version of "The Green Manalishi" from that show features only bass guitar from Peter during the latter half of the performance.

I will see if I can dig out some of the live recordings from late '69 and early '70 to see if I can find anything that sounds like what you're describing. And maybe some of the others on the board can chime in here with other possibilities too.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hey,

Thanks for the reply and looking for other "candidate concerts".

The older I get, the more obsessed I become with GM. It's such a scary, passionate song, and knowing, in retrospect, the context of where it fit in the journeys of FM and PG make it even "weightier" in my mind.

Paolo
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, welcome on board Paolo.
I just took a listen to some late 1969 / early 1970 shows.
* 1969-11-02, Goetheborg - Cue Club: definitely bass solo
* 1969-11-21, New York - Filmore East: definitely bass solo
* 1970-01-02, San Fransisco - Filmore West: definitely bass solo
* 1970-01-30, New Orleans - Warehouse: definitely GUITAR solo
* 1970-02-01, New Orleans - Warehouse: definitely bass solo
* 1970-03-19, Berlin - Sportpalast: definitely bass solo (awful sound quality)
* 1970-03-25, Vienna: definitely very short guitar solo, can't believe that this would have been "on air" considering the sound quality
* 1970-04-01, Stockholm: definitely bass solo
* 1970-04-09, London - Paris cinema: definitely bass solo
* 1970-04-24, London - Roundhouse chalkfarm: definitely bass solo

So I guess it probably was the Warehouse january 30 1970.
Hope that solves your problem
Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice work, Wouter! You got to this before I did It seems like you've solved it, since the New Orleans recording is a very clean one and could have shown up on the radio.

Wonder where the radio station would have gotten this recording? I don't think that show was broadcast originally so it's interesting that they would have been able to obtain the recording back in the 1970s.

BTW, here it is from YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kiq_0R1vek
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I agree totally with sharksfan. Impressive job you've done there Wouter. Thank you. Makes me want to hear all those versions again!

Ms Moose
Old 11-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Junior Ledgie

Wouter,

Thanks for doing the hard work of having to listen to GM over and over...

I have some of those recordings. I was wondering if I was missing a seminal live recording. I assumed the source was the BBC. I can't imagine WNEW broadcasting a board recording.

Since the broadcast aired post PG (but he was mentioned as part of the band in the broadcast), I assume it came from a "conventional" archive of some sort.

Maybe not, but I can still hope that there is another one out there with more guitar work.

Thanks again.

Paolo
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianip View Post
Wouter,

Thanks for doing the hard work of having to listen to GM over and over...

Paolo
It's never hard work having to listen to GM (except maybe for the Judas Priest version)!
Anyway, could it be possible that the announcer only mentioned Peter Green as part of the original band? In that case it could be possible that what you are referring to is actually a post PG version where Bob Welch sings and plays guitar, ending with guitar solo.
* 1974-09-19, Record Plant, Los Angeles
* 1974-10-08, Hempstead, New York
* 1974-11-30, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles
* 1974-12-15, Record PLant, Sausolito
All of these recordings are broadcastworthy....
Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

1974 would have been too late as I was already a firmly entrenched early FM fan by then and was aware of the Welch FM incarnation. I had purchased the Penguin and Mystery to Me LPs as they were released (precipitating a life long admiration for Weston's guitar work as well)

I'm thinking I heard this broadcast around 1971 or 1972.

This favors the Warehouse as a candidate.

This remains a mystery...

Were there any outtakes from the Live at BBC albums which may have had GM?

Paolo
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianip View Post
Were there any outtakes from the Live at BBC albums which may have had GM?

Paolo
I assume there never was a BBC studio recording of GM.
I checked at:
http://www.chromeoxide.com/green.htm
Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Wouter Vuijk;1068224]
I just took a listen to some late 1969 / early 1970 shows.
* 1969-11-02, Goetheborg - Cue Club: definitely bass solo
* 1969-11-21, New York - Filmore East: definitely bass solo
* 1970-01-02, San Fransisco - Filmore West: definitely bass solo
* 1970-01-30, New Orleans - Warehouse: definitely GUITAR solo
* 1970-02-01, New Orleans - Warehouse: definitely bass solo
* 1970-03-19, Berlin - Sportpalast: definitely bass solo (awful sound quality)
* 1970-03-25, Vienna: definitely very short guitar solo, can't believe that this would have been "on air" considering the sound quality
* 1970-04-01, Stockholm: definitely bass solo
* 1970-04-09, London - Paris cinema: definitely bass solo
* 1970-04-24, London - Roundhouse chalkfarm: definitely bass solo

I noticed that you were missing the version from the Boston Tea Party (recorded between February 05 and 07, 1970) – is that because on the most widely circulated CD, “Live at the Boston Tea Party Part One” (Snapper) the bass solo has been edited out?
The track runs 12:52 on that CD
The complete recording can be found on both “Cerulean / Roots – the Original Fleetwood Mac Live In Concert” (Pair) and “Greatest Hits Live” (Commander) with a running time of 15:55 – the additional three minutes being Green’s bass and percussion solo

Also, I do believe that the date you have for the Cue Club show in Gotenburg is incorrect – I remember there being some discussion about this when the show was first posted on the Wolfgang’s Vault website, and listening to the performances of GM as you have them listed allows one to hear how the number evolved –
We have no way of knowing if the recording from the Fillmore East was the actual live debut, but it is surely the earliest version that is currently available -
It is also interesting to note that they had been playing the song for almost six months before they finally put it tape in the studio on April 14, 1970

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

I always thought Green plays a guitar solo then drops out (while the rhythm guitar keeps going) to switch to bass, then it's just Green and Fleetwood?