The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
LesPaul7's Avatar
LesPaul7 LesPaul7 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114
Default Beasts of Burden

I've read places that Snowy White plays on this as well, although I'm skeptical. Also, did Green still have his iconic Les Paul at this time? It sounds like it to me. Anybody know what his last material would have been before he sold it?
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Mrpeabody Mrpeabody is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 29
Default

Nigel Watson plays congas on this. Don't know about the others.

This BBC video was done around the same time. He's playing a Strat as far as I can tell. The LP was long gone to Gary Moore by then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPFEi...3E275B6351C877
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Exclamation

According to the sessionography in Jet Martin Celmins PG biography, this was the line up:

Nigel Watson - Congas, Vocals
Peter Green - Guitar, Vocals
Clifford Chewaluza - Percussion
Snowy White - Guitar

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/songs...8&perfid=15430

Hope this helps.

John
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM
sharksfan2000's Avatar
sharksfan2000 sharksfan2000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 982
Default

Here's a photo of the four of them:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
LesPaul7's Avatar
LesPaul7 LesPaul7 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114
Default

Yeah, that's the Heavy Heart line-up, but Snowy White isn't in that pic. Here's an interesting article I found where in the 2nd paragraph it says Green originally tried to sell the guitar to Snowy White: http://www.thinlizzy.biz/bio-swhite.htm

Also there's this picture of Green doing a B.B. King session in June of '71, but I can't tell if that's his famous LP:

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM
chiliD's Avatar
chiliD chiliD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In the backseat of a Studebaker
Posts: 9,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Yeah, that's the Heavy Heart line-up, but Snowy White isn't in that pic. Here's an interesting article I found where in the 2nd paragraph it says Green originally tried to sell the guitar to Snowy White: http://www.thinlizzy.biz/bio-swhite.htm

Also there's this picture of Green doing a B.B. King session in June of '71, but I can't tell if that's his famous LP:

That looks like a '56 Gold Top with P-90 pickups. (I've seen a couple of other photos from that session & that's what he's playing in those)

BTW...somebody wake up B.B. !
__________________
Among God's creations, two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes in order not to be separated from the man.---Andres Segovia
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM
sharksfan2000's Avatar
sharksfan2000 sharksfan2000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 982
Default

Here's a link to another shot from that BB King session (with Klaus Voormann at left). Peter's guitar has a tailpiece so I'd guess it's not his earlier guitar.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/94103347

In contrast, here are a couple of shots of Peter at the 8/25/70 benefit show at the 100 Club in London, also with Duster Bennett:



Anyone know who the sax player is? Wondering whether it might be John Altman from the Brunning Sunflower Blues Band.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
chiliD's Avatar
chiliD chiliD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In the backseat of a Studebaker
Posts: 9,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Here's a link to another shot from that BB King session (with Klaus Voormann at left). Peter's guitar has a tailpiece so I'd guess it's not his earlier guitar.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/94103347

In contrast, here are a couple of shots of Peter at the 8/25/70 benefit show at the 100 Club in London, also with Duster Bennett:



Anyone know who the sax player is? Wondering whether it might be John Altman from the Brunning Sunflower Blues Band.
Ahhh...trapeze tailpiece...it's even older than '56...probably a '52 or '53.

The sax player looks like Climax Blues Band lead vocalist/sax player Colin Cooper. I'm not saying that it IS him, just that he LOOKS like him. Well, after looking up John Altman, it could very well be him, as well.
__________________
Among God's creations, two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes in order not to be separated from the man.---Andres Segovia

Last edited by chiliD; 04-23-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
sharksfan2000's Avatar
sharksfan2000 sharksfan2000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Yeah, that's the Heavy Heart line-up, but Snowy White isn't in that pic.
OK, I assumed that was him at the top center. Any idea who that is?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
OK, I assumed that was him at the top center. Any idea who that is?
I guess by process of elimination, it has to be Chris Kelly, who was a percussionist on the Heavy Heart single but not the Beasts Of Burden single.

John
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Ms Moose Ms Moose is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
That looks like a '56 Gold Top with P-90 pickups. (I've seen a couple of other photos from that session & that's what he's playing in those)

BTW...somebody wake up B.B. !
I think the guitar in the picture is Duster Bennett's famous '52 Gibson Les Paul Gold top. According to Martin Celmins book abour Duster Bennett, the Gold Top was a gift from Peter Green to Duster, who had previously had been given it by Eric Clapton: " It was half busted" Peter recalls, "when I got it from Eric. I went to his house in the forest a few times and noticed it there. I think ne of the pick-ups were missing and I said something like ' I could use that to smash up on stage like Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townsend'. So Eric said I could have it. When Duster saw it he said it looked just right for his one-man band act. He liked it so much that I gave it to him and he had it fixed" (Celmins, Jumping at Shadows, 2007, p.193).

So it's a guitar with a lot of history.

Ms Moose
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Wouter Vuijk's Avatar
Wouter Vuijk Wouter Vuijk is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
According to the sessionography in Jet Martin Celmins PG biography, this was the line up:

Nigel Watson - Congas, Vocals
Peter Green - Guitar, Vocals
Clifford Chewaluza - Percussion
Snowy White - Guitar

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/songs...8&perfid=15430

Hope this helps.

John
Hard to believe. It's definitely a bass guitar instead of a "normal 6-string" guitar. And as far as I can see, the bass player looks a lot like Nigel Watson (same eyes).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM
sharksfan2000's Avatar
sharksfan2000 sharksfan2000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Hard to believe. It's definitely a bass guitar instead of a "normal 6-string" guitar. And as far as I can see, the bass player looks a lot like Nigel Watson (same eyes).
That's definitely Nigel Watson with the bass on the "Heavy Heart" video clip. But that doesn't mean he played bass on the "Beasts of Burden" studio recording (or the "Heavy Heart" recording for that matter).

Last edited by sharksfan2000; 04-25-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 AM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
That's definitely Nigel Watson with the bass on the "Heavy Heart" video clip. But that doesn't mean he played bass on the "Beasts of Burden" studio recording (or the "Heavy Heart" recording for that matter).
Agreed, and the listing I provided had nothing to do with the picture (i.e. names not listed in the order they are in the above picture), it's just the way the names are listed in the book.

John
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM
greenmanastrat's Avatar
greenmanastrat greenmanastrat is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 135
Default Les Paul without doubt

Its most definitely a les paul played on the beast of burden record and i have no doubt peter plays all the guitar on it. Great track really love it, one of his best post mac releases!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

FLEETWOOD MAC AUTOGRAPHED/SIGNED JOHN McVIE 8X10; CHRISTINE & LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
$200.0
FLEETWOOD MAC AUTOGRAPHED/SIGNED JOHN McVIE 8X10; CHRISTINE & LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM pictureCHRISTINE MCVIE FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED 1977 RUMOURS ALBUM BAS #V28876
$149.99
CHRISTINE MCVIE FLEETWOOD MAC SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED 1977 RUMOURS ALBUM BAS #V28876 pictureFLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER
$29.0
FLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS MICK CHRISTINE MCVIE LINDSEY GRAMMY AWARD POSTER picturePress Photo Singer Songwriter Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Press Photo Singer Songwriter Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac pictureLG818 Orig Photo FLEETWOOD MAC Christine McVie Stevie Nicks Lindsey Buckingham
$20.0
LG818 Orig Photo FLEETWOOD MAC Christine McVie Stevie Nicks Lindsey Buckingham picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved