The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,414
Default Bob Brunning's Passing

The papers are reporting that Bob Brunning has passed away yesterday, at the age of 68. His first wife Sujatin Elspeth Johnson confirmed his death on October 18, 2011, in an email to me. Mr. Brunning had 2 children with Sujatin Johnson, Simon and Rachel.

He also had a son Daniel, with his second wife Halina. He had six grandchildren.

A blogger has prepared a nice tribute to Bob Brunning here: http://www.roybaintonwrites.com/2011...done-gone.html
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Silver Springs's Avatar
Silver Springs Silver Springs is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,934
Default

Rest in peace, Bob.
__________________
 photo anigif_zpsaae925b8.gif
You were the only audience I ever needed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,414
Default

We've never had to say that before about a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Silver Springs's Avatar
Silver Springs Silver Springs is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
We've never had to say that before about a member of Fleetwood Mac.

Michele
It's depressing that they're getting older. One day we'll have to say it again.
__________________
 photo anigif_zpsaae925b8.gif
You were the only audience I ever needed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
chiliD's Avatar
chiliD chiliD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In the backseat of a Studebaker
Posts: 9,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
It's depressing that they're getting older. One day we'll have to say it again.
15 more times all-in-all. Probably double that by including members of their solo bands.

RIP Bob.

Bee, couldn't help it, but that sig you have of Lindsey from the Live 1980 album...squint just right and he kinda looks like SpongeBobSquarePants.
__________________
Among God's creations, two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes in order not to be separated from the man.---Andres Segovia

Last edited by chiliD; 10-19-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
It's depressing that they're getting older. One day we'll have to say it again.
Yep, we just lost the first link in the chain. Let's hope it's not a 3 pack.

Rest in peace, Bob.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,852
Default

RIP Bob. While his impact on Fleetwood Mac was minimal, his contribution to British blues over the years was enjoyable.

Thank you so much to Wetcamelfood for getting me into Bob Brunning's music and all those albums that I would never have had the opportunity to hear otherwise.

I have spent many a happy time listening to Brunning Sunflower Blues Band or The De Luxe Blues Band. While they never made it to stardom, they were an excellent band that produced some wonderful music.

The only video I could find that featured BB on bass (somewhere over in the corner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaFKZ...feature=colike
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by chriskisn; 10-20-2011 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 AM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Unhappy

You're welcome Chris.

My computer crashed last night before this news broke so I just saw this now.

I couldn't help thinking over the last few years that we were lucky to never have needed to encounter this situation with one of our 16. It's amazing when you think of all the other bands out there and what their fans had to go through regarding members they were fans of that had been lost but as has been pointed out here it is inevitable and if nothing else it will help us prepare for those unavoidable future days we hear more news like this.

This will be a strange day not knowing the feelings that will overcome me.

John
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post

This will be a strange day not knowing the feelings that will overcome me.

John
Yes as terrible as it sounds, and while his death has made me sad, it certainly hasn't affected me like the passing of some of the members will. That sounds callous, but I don't mean it to be so.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
sharksfan2000's Avatar
sharksfan2000 sharksfan2000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 982
Default

Sad to hear this news. RIP Bob.

A few YouTube clips that include Bob on bass guitar:

From Fleetwood Mac's debut gig at Windsor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e08kol0ZzrM

Studio recording of "Long Grey Mare":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSvU8OXqmzM

From Tramp, with Danny Kirwan and Mick Fleetwood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_v5r4rd5ZA
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,842
Default

Very sad. He has taken part of the band's history with him. I really do wish Mick could do a super Mac album with all the members of the Mac on record: one song per songwriter. That's my dream. I wish it were his.
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Very sad. He has taken part of the band's history with him. I really do wish Mick could do a super Mac album with all the members of the Mac on record: one song per songwriter. That's my dream. I wish it were his.
We might get something exciting in 2017... if we are lucky. Surely they have to release something different, rather than another rehashed greatest hits album?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2011, 02:16 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
We might get something exciting in 2017... if we are lucky. Surely they have to release something different, rather than another rehashed greatest hits album?
Won't happen. That will be the 40th anniversary of Tumours. God, please let them re-release it on 8-track! Because they will still have to beat that old, dead, road carcass.

LAME. They were artists, once upon a time. Now, well,....just they may as well stock up on some red light bulbs.....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Silver Springs's Avatar
Silver Springs Silver Springs is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Won't happen. That will be the 40th anniversary of Tumours. God, please let them re-release it on 8-track! Because they will still have to beat that old, dead, road carcass.

LAME. They were artists, once upon a time. Now, well,....just they may as well stock up on some red light bulbs.....
Wow. More seasoned fans really do hate Rumours. O_o. I never understood the hate, but different strokes for different folks. I just find it a little unfair that the artists as a whole are being judged for only what they do with the Fleetwood Mac they've been drifting away from for years. Yes, the band has had better days. But so have alot of the old greats. But individually, some wonderful things are happening for the members. On a personal level, Lindsey Buckingham is as vital as ever. Whereas I didn't enjoy Stevie's album much at all, but she still brings in the fans. I can't help but feel that the band is judged because they're not constantly shoving material down our throats. I'd rather them take many years to make an album I love, instead of them pumping out album after album of mediocre dreck as many contemporary artists do.
__________________
 photo anigif_zpsaae925b8.gif
You were the only audience I ever needed.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Wow. More seasoned fans really do hate Rumours. O_o. I never understood the hate, but different strokes for different folks. I just find it a little unfair that the artists as a whole are being judged for only what they do with the Fleetwood Mac they've been drifting away from for years. Yes, the band has had better days. But so have alot of the old greats. But individually, some wonderful things are happening for the members. On a personal level, Lindsey Buckingham is as vital as ever. Whereas I didn't enjoy Stevie's album much at all, but she still brings in the fans. I can't help but feel that the band is judged because they're not constantly shoving material down our throats. I'd rather them take many years to make an album I love, instead of them pumping out album after album of mediocre dreck as many contemporary artists do.
An "artist" creates. Not REcreates, a 40yo work of art, without putting something new on the palette(I don't count them doing SYLM as new). They're sort of a cover band now, because all they do is oldies. So SYW didn't have anything worth still performing? Hmm...

Their solo careers are where they put their artistic effort now. Fleetwood Mac is just for the money.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood FLEETWOOD MAC MICK FLEETWOOD SIGNED RUMOURS VINYL ALBUM
$299.99
FLEETWOOD MAC MICK FLEETWOOD SIGNED RUMOURS VINYL ALBUM pictureMick Fleetwood Signed 10" Drumhead Drum Head Fleetwood Mac Drummer LEGEND RAD
$249.99
Mick Fleetwood Signed 10MICK FLEETWOOD SIGNED FLEETWOOD MAC 12" DRUMHEAD
$249.99
MICK FLEETWOOD SIGNED FLEETWOOD MAC 12MICK FLEETWOOD SIGNED FLEETWOOD MAC VINYL RECORD
$199.99
MICK FLEETWOOD SIGNED FLEETWOOD MAC VINYL RECORD picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved