The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 AM
deribish's Avatar
deribish deribish is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 306
Default

I did have a similar epiphany when listening to the TANGO remaster last week. The album is lovely and polished and the tunes are pure pop. Christine is givng us classic perfecly crafted songs and Linds is sprinking 80s-synth-tribalness all over it. But Stevie is the only one bringing viable emotion to the tracks. LInds has nothing close to emotion compared to songs live "Save me a place" "Book of Love" or "I'm so afriad" -- and while "LIttle Lies" and "Everywhere" are amazing, they dont have the sorrow and sweetness of "Over & Over" & "Songbird". Stevie might be singing her vocals in a burbling and scattered manner *but you can at least feel the emotion. And a lot of it too. And that really helped make Tango the wonderful album that it is.


and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I maintain that Stevie, as addled and desperate as she was at the time, brought heart to the Tango album, which without her blood and guts, would have been overly synthesised and slick. The stripped back "When I See You Again", flaws and all, helps to balance proceedings - it is in its own way, an unwitting masterstroke, exposing Stevie as devastated and devoid of hope.
I remember her mentioning the trick she played on Lindsey regarding the coda but I have recently been wondering if indeed she had even recorded a vocal for this section? Given the situation, Lindsey may have undertaken the vocal out of necessity. I have heard a poor quality outtake that features Stevie during the fade but it appears to be fan-made with just the opening line of "when I see you again" looped (ie not a harmony vocal).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:20 AM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
I did have a similar epiphany when listening to the TANGO remaster last week. The album is lovely and polished and the tunes are pure pop. Christine is givng us classic perfecly crafted songs and Linds is sprinking 80s-synth-tribalness all over it. But Stevie is the only one bringing viable emotion to the tracks. LInds has nothing close to emotion compared to songs live "Save me a place" "Book of Love" or "I'm so afriad" -- and while "LIttle Lies" and "Everywhere" are amazing, they dont have the sorrow and sweetness of "Over & Over" & "Songbird". Stevie might be singing her vocals in a burbling and scattered manner *but you can at least feel the emotion. And a lot of it too. And that really helped make Tango the wonderful album that it is.


and
Hence why the whole universe is bummed that she will not be participating in this new record...
__________________
Find out more about my books: The Community of Desire: Selected Critical Writings (2001-2007) & Serpents and Doves <---Fleetwood Mac content!!! & my NEW book Watch the Throne
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-07-2017, 10:14 AM
blinker12's Avatar
blinker12 blinker12 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
And yes, I also even love Family Man. Just because of the message, of what Lindsey wanted to become, and he succeeded.
I put Family Man in the same category as Sister Honey - so bad they're fun.
__________________
Don't you know that the stars are / A part of us?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-07-2017, 12:25 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,543
Default

I'm never speaking to any of you again!!

And I hope Stevie doesn't either!!
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-07-2017, 02:20 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
I put Family Man in the same category as Sister Honey - so bad they're fun.
I know the feeling. It's the same for me with "When I see you again".
__________________
"This has been the best tour I've been on. Ever, ever, ever..." - Stevie Nicks. 24 Karat Gold Tour, Long Island, NY -April 6, 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:28 PM
jmn3 jmn3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 658
Default

As always, this stuff is subjective, but IMO the lyrics are horrible and her singing is absolute garbage. As was already stated, the "Wassamatta BAYBAYYY" and "she stares at the stairs" lines just kill any potential for this song to be anything but a laugh (or cringe) for me.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Street_Dreamer's Avatar
Street_Dreamer Street_Dreamer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Eureka, CA
Posts: 556
Default

Lindsey's vocals save what could have been the worst Fleetwood Mac song ever.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Angel75 Angel75 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Lindsey's vocals save what could have been the worst Fleetwood Mac song ever.
Yes, Lindsey's vocals are dreaming on this. I definitely agree with you.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Yes, Lindsey's vocals are dreaming on this. I definitely agree with you.
On another thread we spoke about Lindsey's vocals. Seven Wonders was recorded before Stevie went to Betty Ford. Is it possible the Lindsey part was Lindsey had her vocal track (from the demo sent to them) and since she was in rehab he did not have much to work with and he added his vocals to the track. I see that as completely plausible. I see him lifting her vocal and creating the song around it.
__________________

Still I believe.....LOVE will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 PM
jwd jwd is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fleetucky
Posts: 2,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wanted to pay a little tribute to this tortured song. (because I've been listening to the re-master deluxe version that was just released...)

Next time you listen to WISYA, hear the "Fleetwood Mac" in it.
Listen to the guitar and keyboards, then combine the backing vocals by Buckingham/McVie. Notice how much contrast they have with this scorned and wounded woman. The sound off angels, as Stevie tries to figure out why she can't make it with the one who owns her heart. andddd (Who just happens to be singing 'beautifully' with a tall blonde british woman.)


Try to listen to it in this manner. Why? because Stevie Nicks nails what this song is about. You may not like her tone or timbre, but it accurately depicts the setting.

When you understand it that way, you can then appreciate the delicate voices, keyboards, and guitar that give way to a chamber of living angst.


............. well at least there is a dream left....

Were you drunk when you typed this?! There really there is some redeeming value to this song. First and foremost, it's the voice and emotion of the scorned woman. Next, it's the magic of FM that makes it work. But really, the band had to see something in this recording?!!! I kinda get it....I've had a few beers, so maybe it's me?!!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:30 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Were you drunk when you typed this?! There really there is some redeeming value to this song. First and foremost, it's the voice and emotion of the scorned woman. Next, it's the magic of FM that makes it work. But really, the band had to see something in this recording?!!! I kinda get it....I've had a few beers, so maybe it's me?!!!
Haha, no. I've always loved this song and it's placement on the album. I was listening to the re-master last night. If you just listen to it for what the song is about, I think you can understand the output of the material.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-07-2017, 06:56 PM
jwd jwd is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fleetucky
Posts: 2,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Haha, no. I've always loved this song and it's placement on the album. I was listening to the re-master last night. If you just listen to it for what the song is about, I think you can understand the output of the material.
And I always thought you were so circa '83 and before when it came to the GREAT STEVIE NICKS! Every once in awhile she dropped a little bomb on you afterwards?!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 537
Default

I wonder what the context was for this song. When she wrote it that is.

I wish it had been the album closer.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-08-2017, 05:12 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I wonder what the context was for this song. When she wrote it that is.

I wish it had been the album closer.
Let's not go crazy.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,267
Default

In 87 when I bought the album on cassette I kept flipping and fast forwarding between WISYA and 7W. WISYA has always fascinated me. I hear beauty in it and something mysterious, the production is almost avante garde. I wish she/they had done more like it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1976 Press Photo Carol Burnett & Billy Wilder - cvp77031
$24.88
1976 Press Photo Carol Burnett & Billy Wilder - cvp77031 picture1981 Press Photo Billy Burnette, entertainer - nop12943
$20.0
1981 Press Photo Billy Burnette, entertainer - nop12943 picture1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picturePress Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773
$17.88
Press Photo Billy Burnette, Guitarist - spp41773 pictureRARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (3) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE
$15.88
RARE 1980s Original 35mm Negative Strip of (3) Rock Star BILLY BURNETTE picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved