The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
KarmaContestant's Avatar
KarmaContestant KarmaContestant is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,911
Default TISL Acetate

Does anyone have the TISL acetate that would be willing to upload or mail a CD copy of it? I've got MP3s of the tracks from it that are different - My Heart, Bombay Sapphires, etc... but I'm hoping to add a lossless copy of it to my collection if I might be so lucky.

I know it's rare, and I recall that when it first surfaced only MP3 rips of the alternate tracks were shared, so I'm not expecting any sort of overwhelming response.

If someone is able, and willing, I'd be so very thankful. Please reply here or send me a PM if you prefer.
__________________
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
mikebise mikebise is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,200
Default

Do you have "Every Day"? No one's ever posted that here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
KarmaContestant's Avatar
KarmaContestant KarmaContestant is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post
Do you have "Every Day"? No one's ever posted that here.
I do. I'll post it tonight (I have an appointment to look at a house after work so it might be closer to 7-ish MDT). I have Bombay Sapphires, Every Day, I Miss You, My Heart, Thrown Down and Touched By An Angel. All are MPs.
__________________
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM
jeffd8382's Avatar
jeffd8382 jeffd8382 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: IL, USA
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Does anyone have the TISL acetate that would be willing to upload or mail a CD copy of it? I've got MP3s of the tracks from it that are different - My Heart, Bombay Sapphires, etc... but I'm hoping to add a lossless copy of it to my collection if I might be so lucky.

I know it's rare, and I recall that when it first surfaced only MP3 rips of the alternate tracks were shared, so I'm not expecting any sort of overwhelming response.

If someone is able, and willing, I'd be so very thankful. Please reply here or send me a PM if you prefer.
Yes, that would be incredible! I have been looking for this for forever, as well... but no one seems to have anything but the MP3s of these tracks. A couple of times, I found FLAC encoded versions mixed in compilations, but when analyzed, you can clearly see they are MP3 sourced.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM
HejiraNYC's Avatar
HejiraNYC HejiraNYC is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,793
Default

Okay... pardon my ignorance...

But can someone enlighten me about the source of the TISL-era recordings that are in circulation:

"Annabel Lee"
"Have No Heart"
"Space Needle"

Plus demos or alt. takes of

"Trouble in Shangri-la" (demo and acoustic)
"Candlebright" (with the expanded intro)
"That Made Me Stronger"
"Not Make Believe"
"Thrown Down" (demos)
"Planets of the Universe" (TISL demos)
"Love Changes"

Were these stolen from Stevie's house? From the record company? I don't think any of these were on the early Greman TISL pressing.
__________________
**********************
hejiranyc
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
mikebise mikebise is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,200
Default

No, I bought mine on a 2~CD set off eBay in 2001. Not sure if this person was the source, but it's where I first saw and GOT all of these.

Don't forget "Fall From Grace"!

And unedited CROW mix of "Sorcerer"!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
HejiraNYC's Avatar
HejiraNYC HejiraNYC is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post
No, I bought mine on a 2~CD set off eBay in 2001. Not sure if this person was the source, but it's where I first saw and GOT all of these.

Don't forget "Fall From Grace"!

And unedited CROW mix of "Sorcerer"!!!
I thought that was the promo only single mix.

So in a nutshell, it's not entirely clear how/where these tracks leaked?
__________________
**********************
hejiranyc
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
KarmaContestant's Avatar
KarmaContestant KarmaContestant is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I thought that was the promo only single mix.

So in a nutshell, it's not entirely clear how/where these tracks leaked?
The promo CD had the Sheryl Crow edit - the 2CD TISL demo comp. has the uncut Shery Crow remix.

All I know is that the collection came from eBay, and that many people seem to have purchased it. I got it from an online download, and it's another one that I wish I had in lossless quality, instead of MP3
__________________
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
gldstwmn's Avatar
gldstwmn gldstwmn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Drowning in the sea of La Mer
Posts: 18,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Does anyone have the TISL acetate that would be willing to upload or mail a CD copy of it? I've got MP3s of the tracks from it that are different - My Heart, Bombay Sapphires, etc... but I'm hoping to add a lossless copy of it to my collection if I might be so lucky.

I know it's rare, and I recall that when it first surfaced only MP3 rips of the alternate tracks were shared, so I'm not expecting any sort of overwhelming response.

If someone is able, and willing, I'd be so very thankful. Please reply here or send me a PM if you prefer.
I'll see if my copy is lossless. Meanwhile I will upload it to mediafire. Give me just a few minutes please.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM
mikebise mikebise is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
The promo CD had the Sheryl Crow edit - the 2CD TISL demo comp. has the uncut Shery Crow remix.

All I know is that the collection came from eBay, and that many people seem to have purchased it. I got it from an online download, and it's another one that I wish I had in lossless quality, instead of MP3
Mine are the CDs. Would they be lossless?

Me? I'm clueless...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
HejiraNYC's Avatar
HejiraNYC HejiraNYC is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post
Mine are the CDs. Would they be lossless?

Me? I'm clueless...
The quick answer is not necessarily. It depends on the source of the recordings burned onto the CD.

As far as I'm concerned, if the mp3s were created at a decent sampling rate, i.e., 192 kbps or above, then it is pretty much "lossless." Only a dog or a spectrum analyzer could detect the difference between that and the lossless original.
__________________
**********************
hejiranyc
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
jeffd8382's Avatar
jeffd8382 jeffd8382 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: IL, USA
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
The quick answer is not necessarily. It depends on the source of the recordings burned onto the CD.

As far as I'm concerned, if the mp3s were created at a decent sampling rate, i.e., 192 kbps or above, then it is pretty much "lossless." Only a dog or a spectrum analyzer could detect the difference between that and the lossless original.
Yeah... this is absolutely true. If something is burned from a lossy source onto an audio CD, it remains "lossy". If it is re-ripped into a WAV file, the file size is huge, but the quality remains the same (it's the same audio information that it had available when it was burned). MP3s are great for saving file space and having reasonable to excellent sound quality (depending on the bitrate), but you can never get back the audio information that was lost when it was encoded.

Hejira is right too that it's hard to tell the difference between high quality mp3s and lossless sources. Some audiophiles claim they can hear a difference, but there have actually been tests done where people have failed to actually tell the difference (despite their claims to the contrary). I tend to think it's psychological, but I believe I can hear a difference between a 192kbps file and a 256 or above... but above 256kbps (320kbps in particular), I can't hear a difference. It's probably a bit obsessive on my part, but there is something oddly comforting to me about knowing I have a lossless file, so that I haven't lost any of the audio information from the source.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM
KarmaContestant's Avatar
KarmaContestant KarmaContestant is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I'll see if my copy is lossless. Meanwhile I will upload it to mediafire. Give me just a few minutes please.
Thank you so much! *crosses fingers*
__________________
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
APerfectLie's Avatar
APerfectLie APerfectLie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,522
Default

whoa! A demo for that made me stronger? Could someone post this?? And a sifferent version of Sorcerer? I haven't heard that either!
__________________
-John
www.twitter.com/aperfectlie226
www.facebook.com/aperfectlie226
www.amendswiththedeaf.tumblr.com/
You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn't mean you're defective - it just means you're human.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
sorcerer999's Avatar
sorcerer999 sorcerer999 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
whoa! A demo for that made me stronger? Could someone post this?? And a different version of Sorcerer? I haven't heard that either!
The uncut mix of "Sorcerer" really isn't all that special. It's the exact same version from the album, except the bass is high in the mix and guitars are far back in the mix, which I never liked. Also the ending just keeps going and going and going. It's like they didn't know when to stop.

The only noticable difference to this version is an electric sitar-esque part midway through each verse, which is kind of cool but I can see why they decided not to put it with the final mix, as it really is too much.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved