Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Is 'Straight Back' about Jimmy?

I had never heard any rumors prior to this that Straight Back was about Jimmy.... he says he thinks it's about somebody else. It would have come in between her doing BD and the WH....so not likely about Joe.....

Jimmy Iovine calls Dr. Dre 'great' and says 'that' Stevie Nicks song isn't about him

(DON MACCATHY/LONDON ENT/SPLASH /DON MACCATHY/LONDON ENT/SPLASH )
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, June 30, 2017, 6:00 PM
Dr. Dre is “great” and he’s also a pain in the arse.

Legendary producer Jimmy Iovine says that Dr. Dre is one of the biggest perfectionists he’s worked with, and that says a lot.

“Dre’s focus is on one thing — ‘great,’” Iovine told us at a Time Warner Center screening of HBO’s “The Defiant Ones,” which documents the two music moguls’ working relationship. It premieres on July 9.

According to Iovine, a Brooklyn native who’s also worked with John Lennon, Bruce Sprinsteen, U2 and Lady Gaga, Dre’s not about looking the part of a bigshot.

“He doesn't care about being famous, he doesn't care about any of these things,” Iovine insists. “The fact that he is so focused on the work, and yes he's born with talent, yes he's gifted, but a lot of gifted and talented people burn it out and don't follow through.”

Iovine and Dre’s most lucrative collaboration was about listening to music rather than creating it. In 2006, the pair developed Beats Electronic, whose Beats by Dre headphones have become ubiquitous.

“The market was controlled by just a very sterile sounding headphone and they looked like medical equipment so we just said, 'Let's plug that hole!” Iovine said. According to Iovine, if Dre were a diva, the two of them wouldn’t be in business.

“My father told me when I was a kid, when the s--t gets bigger than the cat, you get rid of the cat,” he said.

Iovine was famously involved with singer Stevie Nicks both personally and professionally while there were recording her 1981 album Bella Donna. They split in 1982 and she was rumored to have written a song about him called “Straight Back,” which appeared on the Fleetwood Mac album “Mirage.” The tune speaks of a “dream that is not over” but just went away.

“Anytime someone that gifted points their talent in your direction it's an honor,” he said of that tune. “I still think the song is about somebody else, but I'll take it.”

WITH NICKI GOSTIN, BRIAN NIEMIETZ
Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought it was about him. For that time period and what the song is about, it makes complete sense
Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's clear that "Straight Back" is about Jimmy. I interpret it to be about Stevie being called to leave an artistically fulfilling solo career with a great producer to "fly like some little wing straight back to the sun" (the sun being a metaphor for Fleetwood Mac). While recording "Mirage", "she remembers how good it can be".

In light of recent reports and story developments, could the "hours and hours of waiting for you" line be about Stevie hiding and waiting in the basement for Jimmy to finish his meeting with Tom Petty? LOL.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Jimmy is definitely part of the song, but I think it's more about the start of her solo career. I wrote this interpretation (opinion, folks) of "Straight Back" a while back. If anyone has an interview of Stevie talking about "Straight Back," please share.

About the Song

Though Stevie has never revealed the meaning of the song, “Straight Back” is interpreted to be about the start of her solo career, characterized as “the dream.”

The opening lyrics suggest her complicated relationship with Fleetwood Mac, compared here to the strategy of a card game, like poker.

What can I say this time
Which card shall I play

“The dream is not over” seems to refer to Stevie feeling hopeful about her solo career after the success of Bella Donna; and “the dream is just away” and “you will fly like some little wing straight back to the sun” revealing Stevie’s intention to return to “the dream,” or her solo career, at some point.

The second verse may allude to Stevie secretly writing songs on the piano for her second solo album, The Wild Heart (1983), during the 1982 Mirage recording sessions. “Like a wolf on the run,” Stevie had to be discreet and strategic about her solo career plans, so not to jeopardize her future with Fleetwood Mac.

Fingers find the ivory keys
And a song begins to begin
Like a wolf on the run

“The dream” also seems to represent independence, perhaps artistic freedom from Fleetwood Mac. Having written so many songs only to be unused or discarded during her formative years in Fleetwood Mac, Stevie may have temporarily lost sight of her goal to be an independent, prolific songwriter.

And you will find while in the wind
Something that you lost
The dream was never over, no
The dream was only lost

Who Stevie is referring to in the bridge of the song is unclear. The implication seems to be Fleetwood Mac, and “how good it can be” when they are creating music together.

She remembers how good it can be
He remembers a melody
He remembers how good it can be
She remembers a melody

This lyric is reminiscent of “come in out of the darkness” from “Bella Donna.” It could represent the spirit of shining through the darkness, gloom, or despair.

In the shadow of my shadow in a gleam

The following lyrics could be interpreted as Fleetwood Mac waiting “hours and hours” for Stevie to return to the band so they could start recording Mirage, despite “the dream” having just begun. “So strong and fleeting” might represent how quickly “the dream” — the tremendous success of Bella Donna — came and went.

Hours and hours of waiting for you
So strong and so fleeting
The dream has just begun
Hours and hours of waiting this way
Meeting me