User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I've always just thought 'don't meet your idols', after all what we all know isn't the real them, but just a distorted image made of info filtered by both our heroes themselves and the media and our own projected expectations and preassumptions.
That's also why I've never understood those people who decide their favourite musicians based on their supposed niceness. Most of the greatest musicians of all time were/are downright unpleasant people to say the least.
Agreed. Most artists got popular(and good) BECAUSE they're really focused, and that often doesn't make for..."social niceties". They're too busy being THEM!

Finding out that Christine kept Bob Welch out of the R&RHOF broke my heart, and shows me how tough(and vindictive) she can be. It's still a fantasy to meet her, but I'd be very nervous that she might "go off" on me.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 AM

I love people that move me. Fleetwood Mac's music over the years has really moved me.

I'm so turned off by celebs that think they are divas or beyond something divine. Christine is fierce, yet humble, and shows tremendous amounts of class. I love Lindsey's passion for artistry and his passion really turns me on and sparks my curiosity.

Other than that, I like to create and write for myself. It's important.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-03-2017 at 12:36 PM..
Old 04-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
in general, agree about not caring to meet any celebrities. as far as i'm concerned these people provide either culture or entertainment to my life, and i really don't care about their personal lives, collecting their autographs, and such stuff.

i also agree (for once! ) with Homer that like him i seem to be usually interested and drawn to underdogs or underappreciated, and not necessarily the most popular or flashy people.

after seeing a number of his shows and really enjoying them (plus because i had musical requests that i wanted to relay to him), i did want to meet Lindsey. which is really rare for me. i think extra part that made me curious about meeting him is his genius. i seem to be attracted to people who are extraordinary in what they do (and i don't think most celebrities are extraordinary, they are just in a highly visible business). so i ended up meeting Lindsey when he was doing meet and greets at his 2012 tour. and his m&gs were not just a quick take-a-photo-off-you-go like most m&gs are. he was open to actually really talk to fans, if they wanted to. so i have to say that in Lindsey's case, the old "don't meet your idols" is really turned on it's head - he is really down to earth and [especially considering all the rumors about his personality] extraordinarily nice man to his fans.
yeah yeah how much is he paying you to be his social media advocate??

TOTAL JOKE, PEOPLE.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

TOTAL JOKE, PEOPLE.
It's required to mess w/ Elle.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

TOTAL JOKE, PEOPLE.
i wish he actually did hire someone for his social media!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's required to mess w/ Elle.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Finding out that Christine kept Bob Welch out of the R&RHOF broke my heart, and shows me how tough(and vindictive) she can be. It's still a fantasy to meet her, but I'd be very nervous that she might "go off" on me.
I think Chris blocking Bob from the RRHOF should be viewed in the context of the times. In 1998 she was deep in her "burning bridges" phase- she was divorcing her husband who apparently ran around on her, she was quitting the band she'd been a member of for nearly 30 years, she was selling the house she'd lived in for 20+ years, and leaving the country she'd lived in for 3 decades. It's safe to say she was making very emotional, possibly irrational decisions. I can see how Bob's suing the band for royalties would seem like yet another betrayal she needed to mow down.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 04-03-2017 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: I can't maths
Old 04-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I think Chris blocking Bob from the RRHOF should be viewed in the context of the times. In 1998 she was deep in her "burning bridges" phase- she was divorcing her husband who apparently ran around on her, she was quitting the band she'd been a member of for nearly 40 years, she was selling the house she'd lived in for 20+ years, and leaving the country she'd lived in for 3 decades. It's safe to say she was making very emotional, possibly irrational decisions. I can see how Bob's suing the band for royalties would seem like yet another betrayal she needed to mow down.
Oh wow, I must have completely missed this story/anecdote... Is there a link or anything that explains this? I'd love to learn more... I always thought it was Mick who blocked Bob
Old 04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed. Most artists got popular(and good) BECAUSE they're really focused, and that often doesn't make for..."social niceties". They're too busy being THEM!

There's no question that Bob Welch deserved to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. But if indeed Christine was the primary reason why he was blocked (this explanation is only one of many, no matter what Wendy Welch said), then Bob had only himself to blame. You don't sue your former bandmates and then expect them to embrace you in a career-spanning honor. You just don't. He knew copyright law, so his reasons for suing were likely legitimate, but that's neither here nor there. I'll bet Fleetwood and the McVies saw Bob's lawsuit as an ironically cruel echo of Clifford Davis's. But then this has all been discussed before. I just don't think her role in Bob's not being inducted is a clear-cut indication of her temperament. Much more telling are Ken Caillat's anecdotes about Christine's sarcasm, which can be corroborated by our own viewing of her on several YouTube clips over the years.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
Oh wow, I must have completely missed this story/anecdote... Is there a link or anything that explains this? I'd love to learn more... I always thought it was Mick who blocked Bob
Bob changed his stories on this. First he blamed all the core trio (Fleetwood and the McVies) but then, when he made up with Mick and John backstage on the SYW tour, he began saying it was the executives at the RARHOF, then he turned his attention to Christine, who was retired and reclusive at the time. The best thing to do is go to the Pre-Rumors forum. There you'll find at least two or three very long threads about it. Bob discusses this a bit in both of his q&a sessions, too, which can be found on The Penguin site.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-03-2017 at 04:24 PM..
Old 04-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post

Conveniently and frustratingly Mick side-stepped all of this in his second book. Of all the things he could have written about since his first one, this would have been one of the most interesting, important and revealing aspects of Fleetwood Mac over the past 25 years. Yet he wrote virtually nothing about the award in general- very disappointing.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly I'd really question the whole 'Chris blocking Bob from RRHOF' thing. We only heard one extremely biased perspective. There's two sides to a story.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Haven't we all come to the band because of her?
Uh ... no. Not. Definitely not. Most emphatically not.

That's the kind of inaccurate, and really annoying, assumption that Nicks fans sometimes make.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Uh ... no. Not. Definitely not. Most emphatically not.

That's the kind of inaccurate, and really annoying, assumption that Nicks fans sometimes make.
Button was joking, although someone else said that. Most think the sun rises and sets in you know whose bum....

You got me OGB, yeah you know me...

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 04-03-2017 at 11:36 PM..
Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Honestly I'd really question the whole 'Chris blocking Bob from RRHOF' thing. We only heard one extremely biased perspective. There's two sides to a story.
I realize that Wendy was biased, and very defensive of Bob, but I don't know why they'd single out Chris, unless it was true.

As much as I hate to believe it, I do.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I realize that Wendy was biased, and very defensive of Bob, but I don't know why they'd single out Chris, unless it was true.

As much as I hate to believe it, I do.
Maybe she had some really good reason? I just find the whole situation sketchy and I don't totally believe the whole 'Chris is an evil villain and Mick and John are too for allowing it' thing.