The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yes. She dated him in the late 70s and maybe into the early 80s (around the time of BellaDonna released on Modern Records). If you watch her Behind the Music, it is clear that he still adores her. He discusses her rehab and what she went through. He also appeared in a cameo in one of her videos along with Danny Goldberg.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Who wasn't she dating (besides me ) in the late 70s into the early 80s around the release of Bella Donna?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Ledgie

Default Sleeping Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
Yes. She dated him in the late 70s and maybe into the early 80s (around the time of BellaDonna released on Modern Records). If you watch her Behind the Music, it is clear that he still adores her. He discusses her rehab and what she went through. He also appeared in a cameo in one of her videos along with Danny Goldberg.
And she also wrote "Sleeping Angel" about him!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise5 View Post
And she also wrote "Sleeping Angel" about him!
Really? Sleeping Angel is one of my favorites. Where did she of when did she say that? I'm not doubting you, I'm just really interested to know more about that song
Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydust75 View Post
Really? Sleeping Angel is one of my favorites. Where did she of when did she say that? I'm not doubting you, I'm just really interested to know more about that song
She talks about it in the bootleg version of 'Storytellers.' She did a Q+A session with the audience and someone asked her to tell the story behind Rhiannon. Stevie said 'I'm going to tell the story when I sing the song.' I think someone in the audience yelled, 'what about Sleeping Angel?' Stevie then said, 'that was about Paul Fishkin, if you're a really good guy, you get a great song, if you're a really bad guy, you get a nasty song.'

Something to that effect.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^So Sleeping Angel is a great song, I'm guessing, and Paul gets the a-okay?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's an excerpt from a Bella Donna interview that mentions Paul:

HIGH TIMES: I think that what keeps couples together is an understanding, you live your life and I live my life.

STEVIE NICKS: That’s all it is, if somebody just knows and understands. My mother said, "Stevie, you were born guilty. You never lied, you never did anything bad, and you always looked guilty. But you were willing to take on the guilt of everyone else immediately." And I am that way. If I ever think that someone thinks that I did anything wrong, it’s a neon sign across my face that blinks guilty guilty guilty.

HIGH TIMES: You feel the weight of the world sitting on your shoulders.

STEVIE NICKS: And you didn’t even do anything, but you wake up sick to your stomach the next day, thinking that you did. For whatever reasons—which aren’t important—my relationship with Paul (Fishkin, cofounder of Modern Records) stopped, he is the one man in my life that was truly good. Truly understood. I was in an emotional trauma all through that fifteen months. And he stood by and watched it, and was as much help as he could be. While the rest of the world questioned me constantly, including my very close friends. About everything.

The rest of the article is on the Nicksfix under High Times Magazine March 1982
Old 12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by equeen102289 View Post
Here's an excerpt from a Bella Donna interview that mentions Paul:

HIGH TIMES: You feel the weight of the world sitting on your shoulders.

STEVIE NICKS: And you didn’t even do anything, but you wake up sick to your stomach the next day, thinking that you did. For whatever reasons—which aren’t important—my relationship with Paul (Fishkin, cofounder of Modern Records) stopped, he is the one man in my life that was truly good. Truly understood. I was in an emotional trauma all through that fifteen months. And he stood by and watched it, and was as much help as he could be. While the rest of the world questioned me constantly, including my very close friends. About everything.
I guess that trauma she's talking about was the problematic quartet of Mick, Jenny, Sara Recor, & Stevie.

Also, it's always been my view that Stevie's guest appearance at the Roxy in early 1978 with Todd Rundgren was prompted or arranged by Paul Fishkin. Fishkin was a close friend of Todd's, & Todd even wrote "We Gotta Get You a Woman" for Paul.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I guess that trauma she's talking about was the problematic quartet of Mick, Jenny, Sara Recor, & Stevie.
Mick says in his book that Stevie broke off her relationship with the record company executive she was seeing when they got back to LA, after allegedly finally consummating in New Zealand (and then in Oz and Hawaii etc) what had been smouldering between them for some time before that. I actually tend to think that the '15 months of trauma' began with the demise of her relationship with Don Henley, because that was truly traumatic, and then intensified with Lindsey getting serious and very visibly coupled-up with CAH too. Add to that the fact that, as Stevie says, some usually supportive people (Robin? Mary?) might have been dismayed by her taking up with the still ostensibly married Mick, and she must have felt very isolated. So my theory would be that the 15 months go from anywhere around mid to late 1976 through to the end of 1977/beginning of 1978. But I also think you could shift all of that a few months forward too, beginning it more with the aftermath of Henley and into the phase of Mick taking up with Sara too, yes. Especially if you consider that Paul F. would not have had to have been still a boyfriend in order to have still been supportive of her.

Last edited by jellyman10; 12-20-2011 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Previous version was nonsense
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

[QUOTE=AliceLover;1031975]She talks about it in the bootleg version of 'Storytellers.' She did a Q+A session with the audience and someone asked her to tell the story behind Rhiannon. Stevie said 'I'm going to tell the story when I sing the song.' I think someone in the audience yelled, 'what about Sleeping Angel?' Stevie then said, 'that was about Paul Fishkin, if you're a really good guy, you get a great song, if you're a really bad guy, you get a nasty song.'

Something to that effect. [/QUOTE
thanks AliceLover...
Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found these photos of Paul with Stevie .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_lwjbfbA4V51r3jpa8o1_250.jpg (20.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_lwjbepIQ6a1r3jpa8o1_250.jpg (11.8 KB, 67 views)

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-19-2017, 05:50 AM

Paul Fishkin on Stevie Nicks’ Creativity and Confidence

The talent and force of nature that is Stevie Nicks is undeniable. Her style and charisma riveted the world and her music defined a generation. But beyond that, she found her voice in a time and place where women struggled to be heard.

As part of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie co-wrote and sang on Rumours, one of the most successful, best-selling albums of all time. It became their legacy and songs like “Go Your Own Way,” “Dreams,” and “The Chain,” would mark the cornerstone of their success for decades to come. Fleetwood Mac made history and would be acknowledged as one of the most influential rock bands to come out of that era. But there was much more music in Stevie to give. Paul Fishkin, who was President of Bearsville Records and dated Stevie Nicks at the time, played a pivotal role in Stevie’s decision to inevitably launch a solo career. “She loved being in the group, but she was overflowing with artistic ideas, and she needed more than that, to be constrained by three songs a record and constrained by the fact that she couldn’t do anything else.

The decision to start a solo career wasn’t an easy one and was met with both opposition and doubt. Even though her loyalty was still to Fleetwood Mac, starting projects outside of your group wasn’t something that was encouraged, especially in the ’70s. Going solo was considered the kiss of death by industry standards. But Stevie made the leap of faith and joined Modern Records, founded by Paul Fishkin and Danny Goldberg. She would go on to record her next five solo albums with the label, including quadruple-platinum Bella Donna. Not only was Stevie a massive success as part of Fleetwood Mac, but she gained the recognition she deserved as a solo artist, marking her place in history as a legend and an icon.

Stevie Nicks is a powerful songwriter and songstress, but she is also a pioneer. She broke the status quo of what women in the industry were supposed to be and forged her own path. She wore what she wanted, sang what she wanted, and didn’t let anyone else define who she was. In a conversation I had with Paul, he so eloquently said:

If you have the strength to do what you want in the way you want to do it and not be a prisoner of what our society and culture demand of us, if you have the absolute faith in what you wanna do and have the balls to do it, that’s a heroic idea…to not be in fear of what the rules are telling you to do. Just do what you feel is the best for your creativity and not compromise it, and so Stevie had that belief in herself and that belief in the idea that her artistic view and creativity was important for her and that she would do it and not let anybody discourage her from doing that. She was in a man’s world, but she wasn’t going to let herself be talked out of what she was doing. And even though at times she got intimidated by male musicians, and they hurt her feelings, she stood up to that.

Stevie Nicks believed in her abilities, had faith in herself, and was fearless when it came to sharing her music with the world. There was strength in her vulnerability, and beauty in her fight. She went her own way and laid the blueprint for countless others to follow, even to this day.

It takes nerves of steel to stand on your own as a female artist in the face of adversity and in the faces of those who doubt you. It takes courage to be willing to share your gift, at the risk of opening yourself up to criticism. And it takes a hero to do it all with grace.

Stevie Nicks is and always will be a pioneer, an icon, and a hero.

http://inspirer.life/home/2017/07/pa...ty-confidence/
Old 07-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie and Lindsey broke up in spring of '76. There's an article from that time that announced that they'd broken up two weeks before the article came out. She's said herself that it was right after the breakup with Lindsey that she started dating Henley (she says it on the Oprah Master Class). There was a story she told often back during that time about recording Rumours with FM throughout that 76-77 period-- how at one point Henley sent a big box of gifts for her to the place the band was staying in. And the chauffeur brings it in and starts unpacking it and she realizes what it is and is going "oh no, no, this can't be happening" coz Lindsey was right there in the breakfast room (this is why she always talks about having to see your ex in the breakfast room). And the box was full of different things, among them a record player and a bunch of records (his faves or whatever) and flowers and everything... and she couldn't stop the guy from opening it all up and she was watching Lindsey's face get madder and madder.... She was named one of People magazine's Sexiest People in their year-end issue 1978 and in that article she says she is currently seeing Paul Fishkin and that she's not interested in playing around but she does get terribly lonely on the road....They were still touring Rumours at that point. The Mick affair started later on that tour.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Stevie and Lindsey broke up in spring of '76. There's an article from that time that announced that they'd broken up two weeks before the article came out. She's said herself that it was right after the breakup with Lindsey that she started dating Henley (she says it on the Oprah Master Class). There was a story she told often back during that time about recording Rumours with FM throughout that 76-77 period-- how at one point Henley sent a big box of gifts for her to the place the band was staying in. And the chauffeur brings it in and starts unpacking it and she realizes what it is and is going "oh no, no, this can't be happening" coz Lindsey was right there in the breakfast room (this is why she always talks about having to see your ex in the breakfast room). And the box was full of different things, among them a record player and a bunch of records (his faves or whatever) and flowers and everything... and she couldn't stop the guy from opening it all up and she was watching Lindsey's face get madder and madder.... She was named one of People magazine's Sexiest People in their year-end issue 1978 and in that article she says she is currently seeing Paul Fishkin and that she's not interested in playing around but she does get terribly lonely on the road....They were still touring Rumours at that point. The Mick affair started later on that tour.
Not that this isn't a reasonable story...but I'd take things like this said by Stevie with more than a couple grains of salt. Her memory is always pretty fuzzy and there's no reason to regard her perspective on things as any less biased than someone like Carol Ann Harris, who offered quite a different outlook on how Lindsey handled their split. Didn't Lindsey himself once refer to the Don Henley gift thing as a "sack of potatoes"?

I think Stevie's entire relationship timeline from 76 to around 79 is pretty complicated. She had Don Henley, Derek Taylor, JD Souther, Mick, Paul Fishkin, Hernan Rojas and others all around that time period, all with a lot of overlap.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]

The decision to start a solo career wasn’t an easy one and was met with both opposition and doubt. Even though her loyalty was still to Fleetwood Mac, starting projects outside of your group wasn’t something that was encouraged, especially in the ’70s. Going solo was considered the kiss of death by industry standards. But Stevie made the leap of faith and joined Modern Records, founded by Paul Fishkin and Danny Goldberg. She would go on to record her next five solo albums with the label, including quadruple-platinum Bella Donna. Not only was Stevie a massive success as part of Fleetwood Mac, but she gained the recognition she deserved as a solo artist, marking her place in history as a legend and an icon.
At the Modern Records Wikipedia page it says Stevie Nicks cofounded the record label. Is that true? Did she cofound it as a business partner? Or does it just mean she was the first (or one of the first) artist that release a record with the Modern Records label? I tried to check in the Wikipedia source, but the article is kind of a print screen and it doesn't clearly mention she cofounded M. R.

And does anybody know why the label ended in 1999?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (95.8 KB, 2 views)