Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:07 PM
Ledgie

Default The One Great Song on These Terrible Albums

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/grea...errible-album/

Fleetwood Mac, "I Do"

No Lindsey Buckingham or Stevie Nicks? No problem! Actually, lots of problems. Thankfully, Christine McVie could still provide a reliably joy-filled chorus
Old 11-01-2023, 09:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Your Dreams View Post
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/grea...errible-album/

Fleetwood Mac, "I Do"

No Lindsey Buckingham or Stevie Nicks? No problem! Actually, lots of problems. Thankfully, Christine McVie could still provide a reliably joy-filled chorus
Christine has a few other good songs on the album, particularly "Nights in Estoril" and "All Over Again", but I agree with this assessment. "I Do" is an absolute bop. It was one of my top played songs on Spotify last year.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Christine has a few other good songs on the album
I agree. Was "I Do" the only single? Other Christine songs deserved to be singles.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I agree. Was "I Do" the only single? Other Christine songs deserved to be singles.
Yes, and it was a minor hit and Canada. Fleetwood Mac was actually relatively successful in Canada during the 1990s: Two songs, "Save Me" and "Paper Doll", were top ten singles there. "Skies the Limit" and "Silver Springs" hit the top 40 and three more songs ("Love is Dangerous", "I Do", and "The Chain") also charted.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When this thread was posted and I read the title before clicking to enter, I supposed “These Terrible Albums” meant Behind the Mask and Time, since this is the Post Rumours forum. Not that I consider them terrible, but obviously they didn’t meet my expectations. Then I realized it was an article about different albums.

Having said that, I don’t find GREAT songs, but I do and Nights in Estoril are good ones. In general, I like very much Chistine songs in that album, and actually are the only ones I usually listen.

On the other hand, I do enjoy listening to almost all of BTM's songs. I do enjoy even Skies the Limit, though I’ve read harsh criticism about that song. My fave songs are Do You Know, ITBOMM and WTSGD. Yes, Save Me is not one of my faves.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When this thread was posted and I read the title before clicking to enter, I supposed “These Terrible Albums” meant Behind the Mask and Time, since this is the Post Rumours forum. Not that I consider them terrible, but obviously they didn’t meet my expectations. Then I realized it was an article about different albums.

Having said that, I don’t find GREAT songs, but I do and Nights in Estoril are good ones. In general, I like very much Chistine songs in that album, and actually are the only ones I usually listen.

On the other hand, I do enjoy listening to almost all of BTM's songs. I do enjoy even Skies the Limit, though I’ve read harsh criticism about that song. My fave songs are Do You Know, ITBOMM and WTSGD. Yes, Save Me is not one of my faves.
I absolutely LOVE Do You Know. I always have.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

Ignore the haters. Skies the limit is a great song. I love everything about it INCLUDING the spelling!!!!!
Yes it was a song quickly thrown together and it shows. But IMHO it shows the talent of Chris because even in a pinch she can write and put down some great chords. Supposedly BTM was finished and after playback the consensus was the album was very dark and lacked the typical peppy Chris song. So they came up with Skies the limit quickly and threw it on the first track, side one. It has some great harmonies with the 4 singers too. I particularly like Chris's keyboard playing and Mick's cracking of the drums.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:17 PM

I've come full circle on Skies. It's really sung well, and the chorus is fantastic. Also, love Stevie on this song.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

BTM is what Old Spice would sound like if it was a rock album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-07-2024, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Behind the Mask?

Dead on arrival. I bought the cd on the day of its release, listened to it twice, and stored it away. It was a record full of duds and the magic was gone. There's nothing behind the mask but emptiness.

Then - I had to suffer through the 1990 tour when they decided to OPEN the show with "In the Back of My Mind". Stevie and Chris were wise to exit after this s*it show.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Behind the Mask?

Dead on arrival. I bought the cd on the day of its release, listened to it twice, and stored it away. It was a record full of duds and the magic was gone. There's nothing behind the mask but emptiness.

Then - I had to suffer through the 1990 tour when they decided to OPEN the show with "In the Back of My Mind". Stevie and Chris were wise to exit after this s*it show.
I enjoy Skies, Save Me, Love Is Dangerous, and Do You Know. The rest is cheap filler.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Behind the Mask?

Besides the OWTS tour, the 1990 was my favorite Mac tour. I was too young and never saw Tusk, Rumours, or Mirage. I am sure they would have been my favorite. It almost seemed Chris was the ring leader. It was raw, supporting new material, and the last of the arena rock sound from the band. While the Dance was exciting to have Lindsey back we got neutered Chain and a very scripted and tame set. I think in some ways Stevie's tranquilized self allowed her to fall behind the other members of the band. She was always seen as the "star" and focal point. They really seemed like a band. I was awestruck when I left the arena in 1990 and was sad it was coming to and end (so we thought). The band rocked with Isn't It Midnight among other songs.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi! I'm taking it too late, but I think it's just in time...
Personally, it's a joke to know that I Do was the only single from Time, so it's sad to know that the press only writes its opinion based on it, without listening to the whole album.
Hollywood and Sooner Or Later were definitely the best songs of Chris from that album, and probably some of the best from her career. In fact, they're longer than the rest, but not because of that, they're worse than the only single we had...
Just an opinion!
Old 03-09-2024, 10:34 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Hi! I'm taking it too late, but I think it's just in time...
Personally, it's a joke to know that I Do was the only single from Time, so it's sad to know that the press only writes its opinion based on it, without listening to the whole album.
Hollywood and Sooner Or Later were definitely the best songs of Chris from that album, and probably some of the best from her career. In fact, they're longer than the rest, but not because of that, they're worse than the only single we had...
Just an opinion!
We seem to have divergent opinions on this. I find that "I Do", "Nights in Estoril", and "All Over Again" are her best songs on the album. "Sooner or Later" and "Hollywood" are ambling compositions that could have benefited from some pruning.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
We seem to have divergent opinions on this. I find that "I Do", "Nights in Estoril", and "All Over Again" are her best songs on the album. "Sooner or Later" and "Hollywood" are ambling compositions that could have benefited from some pruning.
Completely agree. “Hollywood” never did much for me, but “Sooner or Later” would have been way better if it had been half as long and it would have still gotten the point across.

THE Stephen Hopkins