The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What should Fleetwood Mac do about Stevie Nicks since she refuses to record w/them?
The should kick her out of the band unless she agrees to participate in a new album. 17 17.35%
They should finish the album without her but let her tour with them. 18 18.37%
They should finish the album and do a small tour without her, but then do a big tour with her. 38 38.78%
They should replace her with someone else. 4 4.08%
They should just disband and end Fleetwood Mac. 5 5.10%
They should not record anything new and just tour with Stevie as Fleetwood Mac. 16 16.33%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
More accurately, What should Stevie Nicks do about Fleetwood Mac since she refuses to record with them?? The ball is much more in her COURT than Mick's, John, Chris and Lindsey!! Without Stevie, in 2017, there is NO Fleetwood Mac.
No, the classic Fleetwood Mac minus Stevie Nicks is like Crosby, Stills, and Nash vs. Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. CSN was still a viable entity without Neil, albeit on a smaller scale.

Actually, it's Stevie who risks overplaying her cards. They might find that they're still able to make good enough money and that they're having more fun without her and decide to go on without her.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post

A thought... Maybe Stevie doesn't want to record again because she simply doesn't have the quality of songs she'd like to contribute to a new Mac record?

I think that's a big part of it.

To me the only listenable songs of hers are the ones
she wrote many, many years ago.

Plus she seems to love the power trip of holding the
band hostage, so to speak.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Ledgie

I think they should go on without her. They certainly shouldn't need the money. I have said before, I hope this album, if it ever is released, gets some critical buzz and maybe even a few industry awards. In all honesty, I wish Stevie would just leave the band if she is that miserable. I find it very sad that Stevie and Lindsey can't get it together enough at this point in their lives to communicate like reasonable adults and do a handful of songs together. And since when did Stevie need new material? We know she has several unreleased demos that could be shaped into something beautiful and worthy of the Fleetwood Mac name.

As frustrated as I am with Stevie, I also lay a good chuck of the blame for no new album with Stevie on Lindsey and his tight control over the band's sound. I have loved his work as a producer in the past but his work with the band since Mirage has lacked a certain warmth that is present in their best stuff. It's a shame they can't get a co-producer who is a huge fan but also not afraid to tell them NO when it needs to be said. This whole mess just boils down to the love/hate drama that never ends with those two. I wish Chris (because she is likely the only one with the guts to say it) would just tell them both to get over themselves and suck it up or hit the road.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:04 AM
Ledgie

If they were to tour without her, it'd be on a much smaller scale. Amphitheaters, 5K crowds maybe. She's the face of FM, and gave them many of their top ten hits. Casual fans probably wouldn't see them without her, but big fans like us would. They shouldn't have to wait on her, but her tour is doing really well, I say let her tour then she can join them, it's not like she'll be able to perform many of the songs she's playing ever again.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOfTheNight View Post
If they were to tour without her, it'd be on a much smaller scale. Amphitheaters, 5K crowds maybe. She's the face of FM, and gave them many of their top ten hits. Casual fans probably wouldn't see them without her, but big fans like us would. They shouldn't have to wait on her, but her tour is doing really well, I say let her tour then she can join them, it's not like she'll be able to perform many of the songs she's playing ever again.

She gave them relatively few of their top ten hits!
Casual fans would probably mostly still go to shows as they wouldn't know much difference- hence, they are casual fans.

I'm starting to think Stevie really deep down doesn't want to be in the band but can't quite bring herself to quit. She's almost daring them to kick her out. That's not to say she doesn't like elements of being in Fleetwood Mac (the money) I just think she'd be just as happy doing her own thing from now on.
I can see them doing a foursome and Stevie then playing the martyr card-
''Oh, look world... my old band kicked me out. They did an album and tour without me. Woe is me. Now I'll have to go and write songs about how it feels to be ostracized by people I thought were my friends. Woe is me'
Old 12-21-2016, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If they were to tour without her, it'd be on a much smaller scale. Amphitheaters, 5K crowds maybe.
The flip side to that is that they would have a much smaller crew, so they could end up netting a comparable amount of money.

Quote:
She's the face of FM, and gave them many of their top ten hits.
Two. Stevie had two top-ten hits in Fleetwood Mac (Dreams and Sara). Lindsey had three (Go Your Own Way, Tusk, and Big Love) and Christine had four (Don't Stop, You Make Loving Fun, Hold Me, and Little Lies). Stevie had the fewest top ten hits in Fleetwood Mac, although she did have their only number one.

Quote:
Casual fans probably wouldn't see them without her
Or, more casual fans who like the band, but not Stevie would come out.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I'm critical about a new album.
Maybe Mick and Chris talked too much, there is no material at all, or it isn't as advanced as they told us, wouldn't be the first time that FM members talk too much.
Or Stevie heard the songs and she does not like them and wants no part in an FM album that has bad songwriting. She herself is no longer able to write good material, Chris' hasn't had much practice over the years (I don't know anything about Lindsey, don't follow his solo work), maybe the songs aren't good at all, who knows.
And if they record together, who knows what friction goes down between the two ego-queens Stevie and Lindsey? If they end up at odds again, a tour will not be pleasant. With the enormous money a ticket will cost, I would rather see a harmonic band playing oldies then listen to sub-par new songs played by passive-aggresive people.
And maybe, it isn't a problem with Stevie after all, but rather with Johns health and noone wants to issue that by now.

So - touring without a new album is it for me.

On the other hand - when I see how the Rolling Stones just singled-handedly saved millions of people from having no christmas present for their parents with an album they recorded in 3 days, raking in the cash, i can't help to think: "Hey, Macs, this could have been your money!".

Last edited by AncientQueen; 12-21-2016 at 02:08 AM..
Old 12-21-2016, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She's the face of FM, and gave them many of their top ten hits.
Many? Many?? You get an F in Math. Obviously not your forte.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never thought I would say this, but I think they should just finish the album without her. After seeing her show at the Forum Sunday, I just can't help but feel that the end of Fleetwood Mac is upon us. It's clear she doesn't want to be in the band anymore, but it's also clear she needs the band....her solo show wasn't nearly as good as the Fleetwood Mac show last year.
Stevie loves being the star on stage....with Lindsey (and, to a lesser degree, Christine) she has to work for that....they push each other. No one pushes her when she's solo. Consequently, as different as she said this tour was going to be, it really wasn't....she seemed to be going through the motions, especially after Chrissie Hynde, who just KILLED it!
Don't get me wrong....she seemed happy. And that's why I think going back to the band is going to be such a disaster. She doesn't want to be there...you KNOW Lindsey is pissed at her....and I'm sure even Christine is upset. All of this is going to bleed into being on stage together, making them miserable.
Next year is the band's 50th anniversary, which I'm sure means something to Mick and John. I'm sure part of the tour is already booked. Between these two facts, I think we will see the band continue on for a bit.
But the fact remains....love her or hate her, Stevie is the main draw for Fleetwood Mac. I think the band's legacy means a lot to Mick and John. As much as everyone seems to love the new material, I think they should circle the wagons and make it clear that Stevie didn't want to participate, but they wanted the fans to hear this music. So what if it pisses her off? At this point, I don't think it matters.
So.....release the album without Stevie, do a mini tour without her while she does the second leg of her tour, plus Australia and Great Britain, then soldier through one more tour at the end of 2017 and into 2018.
I never thought I would say that. But at this point, I just want to see the band end their run with some integrity and on a (somewhat) high note.

Last edited by Fannymac; 12-21-2016 at 04:11 AM..
Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I gauge my thoughts about my favourite band of all time by my visceral reactions to the chance to see them live, including Stevie. I have not been to a concert since 2004 and have no desire to. It just does nothing for me to see the same (wonderful) tunes so heavily augmented by back up singers, musicians and pre-recorded tracks. It sucks the wind out of the experience and reinforces the reality that these shows are all about generating cash, in line with much of the corporate world. I do like the most recent work including Say You Will and Stevie's last two solo albums and would be interested in hearing some new music. Minus that, I have zero interest in the hype and drama so if Stevie is not willing to record an album, it makes no sense to continue and they should just end it all. It is also ridiculous for people in their seventies to be relying on 40 year old issues, who does that, really. So I voted to end it, I would rather listen to all the great albums than see them live, for the reasons above.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It should say the other way. "What should Stevie Nicks c do about Fleetwood Mac ?"

She should say .

Years ago and move on.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 12-21-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But seriously I vote for 3.

They should finish the album and do a small tour without her, but then do a big tour with her.

And all can throw the towel in after that.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish one of the poll choices was: "They should kick her out of the band."

That's different from: "The should kick her out of the band unless she agrees to participate in a new album," which is the choice the poll gives us.

Stevie has had plenty of opportunity to agree to participate and hasn't. It's time for the four to conclude that she isn't interested and go on without her. I am hoping that that is exactly what they are doing. Christine's statements to interviewers earlier this fall, and a picture or two that have emerged from what looks like a recording studio, give me hope that they really ARE finishing the album and we'll be hearing something about it very soon.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
It just does nothing for me to see the same (wonderful) tunes so heavily augmented by back up singers, musicians and pre-recorded tracks. It sucks the wind out of the experience and reinforces the reality that these shows are all about generating cash, in line with much of the corporate world.
I do agree with this, to a point. I saw the band last year but only because of Christine's return. One of the reasons I am hoping for a foursome tour is that hopefully it will be more like a real concert and less like a Hollywood stage extravaganza. I would rather see just the four of them, even if the harmonies aren't perfect and there's only one guitar and one keyboard. (I would expect one extra musician because "Go Your Own Way" and "Tusk" really require it, but I can't think of any other song they couldn't perform well with just the four of them.)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Well, I'm critical about a new album.
Maybe Mick and Chris talked too much, there is no material at all, or it isn't as advanced as they told us, wouldn't be the first time that FM members talk too much.
Or Stevie heard the songs and she does not like them and wants no part in an FM album that has bad songwriting. She herself is no longer able to write good material, Chris' hasn't had much practice over the years (I don't know anything about Lindsey, don't follow his solo work), maybe the songs aren't good at all, who knows....
Given that Mick, Lindsey, and Christine have all said the same thing about the new music, and that Christine is pretty frank about such projects, I doubt the first scenario you pose. This is nor to say that they are necessarily finished (though according to their timelines they should be).

The second scenario is VERY unlikely. My guess is Stevie hasn't even made an attempt to listen to the new songs. And even if she did and didn't like them, that would not factor into her participation. If FM were her only musical outlet, she'd be on board, if for no other reason than to bring out her own material. But she's got her own thing and a bunch of people letting her do whatever she wants. So, why come back and be subjected to edits and critiques--even though those very things may be necessary or constructive?

What is most likely is she just doesn't want to work with Lindsey and she doesn't have new material. I DO think the sparks from the McVie-Buckingham collaborations are probably scary to her, especially since if she contributed new songs to the Mac record, critics would compare her contributions to theirs and quite possibly find her material wanting. Critics have rarely been kind to her within the context of band studio albums. She may fear that kind of assessment and press at this stage of her life, especially since the last several years on her own have been met with fan and critical acclaim.