User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I disagree with that, as with politics and religion I find myself someplace in the middle among motivated extremes.

Over time I have listened to Christine's songs by far more than the non-Chris ones from the 1975-on releases. But Buckingham and Nicks are both extremely talented and skillful in my opinion. If there were a Fritz collection or new pre-Mac recordings I'd be there early in line.
Yeah, I was talking about Stevie in 1987, and she was not good in 1987.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-11-2013, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Relax.....I was kidding.

Peace to you as well.

Mick

All good my friend. All good.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
To each their own; some people like unprocessed guitar that B.B.King recognized as the highest quality and some like super-glossy drum machine music enhanced with fifty vocal overdubs and hand clapping effects.

The thing that gets me with things like Tusk, Mirage and Tango is that Buckingham is an excellent guitarist who I enjoy a lot, it's just as a producer he drives me up the wall! I don't get that wall of sound Pet Sounds worship thing either so many have. To me it so often buries what I'm into with pointless icing layered on. I love Wish You Were Here on Mirage, maybe because it has the least processing?

I'll still take the 'worst' Mac album over the best by many others!
Agreed!! "Wish You Were Here" is one of my favourite Mac songs.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Even the worst FM album is still pretty decent, IMO...

But as far as "worst" goes:
I don't like "Kiln House" that much.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

From the Buckingham Nicks lineup of FM (or what everyone else but me call the Rumours lineup), and I'd have to pick a studio album, no live albums or compilations...hmmm I'd say...uh...well, reluctantly, Tango In The Night. I hate saying that because Tango is a truly great album. It's just not quite as good as the white FM album, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage or Say You Will. Tango is awesome though, really.

Otherwise, including live albums and comps, I'd say Live in Boston, as it's nowhere near as good as the studio albums or their various compilations or The Dance or FM Live for that matter. Really, really good though! And IF Christine does play with FM in London in September, that would be a perfect opportunity to play 'Fireflies' live for once, ARE YOU LISTENING, STEVIE?!?

..Sorry. I just love, love, love that song.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."

Last edited by The Highwayman; 07-23-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Old 07-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd say Penguin. It was such a letdown after Bare Trees, which is a perfect listen from beginning to end. From 1970 until 1974 starting with Kiln House, every other album seemed to be a dud (Future Games, Penguin, Heroes Are Hard to Find).
Old 07-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You even liked the Mrs. Scarrot recitation at the end of Bare Trees? If I remember I do tend to stop at Dust.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Ledgie

Time - The band is dead without Stevie or Lindsey.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwoundDreams View Post
Time - The band is dead without Stevie or Lindsey.
So, they were dead when Peter Green was in the band? They were dead when Bob Welch was in the band? Sorry, my Fleetwood Mac collection starts with the 1968 album (actually, it starts with "A Hard Road", which was the first pseudo-Fleetwood Mac album). There were a lot of records without Stevie and Lindsey, so I don't hold that against "Time", which seems to be the main reason people ultimately don't like it.

In fact, I'd MUCH rather have an album with Bekka Bramlett on lead vocals than Stevie Nicks when the latter is half a**ing it, like she did on "Tango In The Night" and "Behind The Mask".

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, they were dead when Peter Green was in the band? They were dead when Bob Welch was in the band? Sorry, my Fleetwood Mac collection starts with the 1968 album (actually, it starts with "A Hard Road", which was the first pseudo-Fleetwood Mac album). There were a lot of records without Stevie and Lindsey, so I don't hold that against "Time", which seems to be the main reason people ultimately don't like it.

In fact, I'd MUCH rather have an album with Bekka Bramlett on lead vocals than Stevie Nicks when the latter is half a**ing it, like she did on "Tango In The Night" and "Behind The Mask".
what's that word there...I'm guessing it's not "acting"...

I'm one of those weird people who actually doesn't mind Time now that I have listened to it. Winds of Change and Talkin' to my Heart I really like. And I think Bekka Bramlett's renditions of Don't Stop and Say You Love Me (available on YouTube) are just magic. In fact I prefer Bekka's version of Don't Stop to Stevie's (but Christine's version is still the best of course - can't wait for London 2013!).

I listened to a Time Fleetwood Mac playlist on Spotify - all the songs are there but they have been resequenced and occasionally interspersed with other Mac songs (I Believe my Time Ain't Long, It Takes Time, The Second Time) so maybe that helps me to like it as much as I do?

Let me say this: to me, Fleetwood Mac is just that - Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. For me the band lives or dies with Mick and John. You can take Stevie away and you can still have a great 3-man band. You can take Lindsey away and still have a great 3-piece with Mick, John and Stevie. Take away Buckingham Nicks and you still have the greatest rhythm section in modern history and great instrumental music. Look at the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band - they perform together really well.

So for me, Time is not some dark place in Fleetwood Mac's history. It is just another exciting, intriguing chapter - as the tour was named, Another Link in the Chain.

I believe originally I nominated Behind the Mask as the worst Fleetwood Mac album. I stand by that, but for me it is still a good album. BTM is not as good as Time...nor is it as cool as Extended Play if we are counting that song set too.

Best Mac albums are in my opinion -
1. Tusk
2. Mystery to Me
3. Rumours
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Of course I know about Peter Green and Bob Welch; I'm not one of those gushy teenagers who can't name any songs outside of Rumours and can't name one band member apart from Stevie! I haven't listened to those eras in depth yet, I've heard "Oh Well", "Black Magic Woman" and "Sentimental Lady" and really like them. I just haven't got around to trying the albums yet (I'm trying to get hold of a copy of Say You Will, as I'm trying to get up to date before I see them in September). I'm not going to form an opinion on that era until I've properly listened to everything.

And I didn't mean by saying that the band is dead without Stevie or Lindsey, that Fleetwood Mac is no good without them and they are only good when they are leading the band. The original incarnation of FM and the revamped incarnation with Buckingham Nicks are two entirely different genres of music. I was referring to the pop era that BN brought in. My mistake, I didn't clarify, sorry.

And I have actually listened to Time, and I felt that the entire creative energy and passion that I'd heard in the previous albums (regardless of Stevie half a**ing it or not) was gone or significantly diminished. The only songs I found halfway decent were "Hollywood" and "Winds of Change". Apart from that, I felt that something was missing. Hence, I prefer the Buckingham Nicks era more because that 's the one I connect with more and I prefer their work. That's my opinion.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You even liked the Mrs. Scarrot recitation at the end of Bare Trees? If I remember I do tend to stop at Dust.
I actually get a kick out of the ending track of Bare Trees! I can't really justify it, and Bob Welch has basically admitted that it was just a bunch of silliness, but it makes me smile. I like seeing a band not take itself too seriously.

Y'all who are saying Time is a worse album than BTM are crazy! There is no way I'm drinking that kool-aid. Yes, BTM is cohesive, and yes it's basically the first time the band has sounded like a "band" since Rumours, but neither of those things negate the awfulness of it.

Time sounds like a weird mishmash of songs. I sort of picture some obscure American road-trip B-movie while listening to. It has kind of a mediocre-soundtrack vibe to it. But at least it's actually pleasant. I like things that are pleasant.

BTM gets my vote all the way. Although I don't particularly enjoy any of FM's albums pre-Bob Welch, they are recognizably well-crafted, and I can't fault them just for being in a genre I'm not into.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I agree. I wonder if Lindsey's Time Bomb Town was about this era of the band?
How so, when this song preceded the Time era by about 10 years?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
How so, when this song preceded the Time era by about 10 years?
This made me smile.