The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Interview: Mick Fleetwood puts rumours of the band's hedonism to bed

Sunday October 25 2009

IF one band summed up the hedonistic eighties more than any other, it was Fleetwood Mac.

Now founder member Mick Fleetwood admits that it was early to bed on Friday night in Dublin in advance of their two gigs at the 02 Arena.

He's a little shamefaced to say that he had dinner at his hotel with his sister, who travelled over from Cornwall with a mutual friend.

"A lovely quiet evening. The old hedonism sometimes rears its head when I discover I've had too much wine but these days we are all very well- behaved. It's one glass of wine and five glasses of water."

The band has been exploring Dublin.

"Lindsey (Buckingham) loves walking and loves architecture so he was off exploring the city. He seems to always find his way back to the hotel in time for the gig."

The current tour features Buckingham and Stevie Nicks along with the legendary rhythm section of Fleetwood on drums and John McVie on bass.

Despite their best efforts it proved impossible to lure Christine McVie, writer of some of their biggest hits, out of a self-enforced retirement.

"Christine hates flying, which is something of a impediment when it comes to a world tour. We are still all close to Christine and looking forward to catching up with her in London," he says.

But before that there may be another reunion.

Peter Green
, the original creative genius behind Fleetwood Mac during their heydey as one of the most influential British blues bands, is playing the Academy on Monday night with his own band.

"Is Peter playing? Brilliant, it's my night off. I would love to go. When I'm not with Fleetwood Mac I have my own little band playing small venues and we play all of the old stuff that Peter created. I'm so glad you told me that," he added.

Last night's gig at the 02 was a sell-out but there are still tickets left for tonight's concert promoted by MCD.

Mick is convinced that there is another album in the band -- possibly next year.

"We are all up for it but Stevie is a little bit reluctant to commit to a time."

"I truly hope we get it together. It's tough committing to a new album. Stevie works incredibly hard and she is the lady of the band.

"We are trying not to really discuss it yet," he added.

- JEROME REILLY

Sunday Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...d-1924044.html
Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^Stevie, do it!!! Puh-leeez!!! Then u have an excuse to go back on tour and make lots of money!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
^^^Stevie, do it!!! Puh-leeez!!! Then u have an excuse to go back on tour and make lots of money!!!
Oh, I'm pretty confident Stevie will decide to do it!!! It's time for some new songs baby!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie will do it, I have complete faith
Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=vivfox;849924]

"We are all up for it but Stevie is a little bit reluctant to commit to a time."

[QUOTE]

Why is she so reluctant? I'm a huge fan but that's ridiculous. Unless she's doing another solo album next year (and actually putting it out) then she has no excuse whatsoever for not doing another Mac record.

She says she loves working but her output in the past 8 years has been one greatest hits album, recording a commentary track for her old videos which can't have taken long, 2 small tours and one live dvd (that she admits took just a day to film) and one cd that was re-recordings of 10 songs of her old material. Hardly prolific. So the excuse that she's too busy just won't cut it with me. Lindsey has been far more productive.

Last edited by Dodfather; 10-25-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Old 10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is great! Thanks viv!

Stevie will do it. I have unconditional faith in her.

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

[QUOTE=Dodfather;849949][QUOTE=vivfox;849924]

Quote:

Why is she so reluctant? I'm a huge fan but that's ridiculous. Unless she's doing another solo album next year (and actually putting it out) then she has no excuse whatsoever for not doing another Mac record.

She says she loves working but her output in the past 8 years has been one greatest hits album, recording a commentary track for her old videos which can't have taken long, 2 small tours and one live dvd (that she admits took just a day to film) and one cd that was re-recordings of 10 songs of her old material. Hardly prolific. So the excuse that she's too busy just won't cut it with me. Lindsey has been far more productive.
You're so correct in what you're saying. The only excuse Stevie could get away with at this point is some kind of health issues. Other then that, it is just being plain selfish to prevent the other band members from doing an album they want to do!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=holidayroad;849955][QUOTE=Dodfather;849949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

You're so correct in what you're saying. The only excuse Stevie could get away with at this point is some kind of health issues. Other then that, it is just being plain selfish to prevent the other band members from doing an album they want to do!
I would to hear LB's point of view on this, if he's interested in putting out material too. (I'm assuming he is haha!)

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 10-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See when Mick says things like Christine doesn't want a world tour, that just makes me scream, "Then do a one-off with her in England." If that's not the real reason she's not with the band, then I wish he'd stop suggesting it was, because it can be so easily resolved that it just makes me crazy to keep hearing it.

She doesn't have to tour to be with the band. Mick knows this. Stop saying that's the reason. I'd rather he just said she hates them (or some of them) and at least then I'd feel I could get on with my life.

As for Stevie, she said she and Lindsey fought through the entire SYW production, so she doesn't want to commit, not because she doesn't have the time (hours, days, months), but because she doesn't have the time for that kind of stress.

Michele
Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
See when Mick says things like Christine doesn't want a world tour, that just makes me scream, "Then do a one-off with her in England."
Quote:
See when Mick says things like Christine doesn't want a world tour, that just makes me scream, "Then do a one-off with her in England."
Wouldn't that be the coolest thing?... A complete surprise to everyone and a major shot in the arm for the band - not to mention the headlines it would generate. Even if for only one song, and she wouldn't even have to sing the lead... stroll out during Don't Stop or something and just sing on the chorus! I mean holy crap just thinking about that.... I'm mean twice now they will have played London in the last six years or so... and once with Mick's band in the area - and she's not participated - but was there... Obviously, she's done with it - but just the thought of that makes me want to really question what the hell?!

And if it ever happened... Record the damn thing for dvd!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

As for Stevie, she said she and Lindsey fought through the entire SYW production, so she doesn't want to commit, not because she doesn't have the time (hours, days, months), but because she doesn't have the time for that kind of stress.

Michele
I think this is partly the reason as well - just that she's wanting to keep things positive with him. An excerpt from an interview with Stevie in April:

Quote:
On Fleetwood Mac's recent tour, which Buckingham has described as "fun" and "drama-free," and Nicks' agreed that the two are in a better spot than in the past...

"Right now, we're trying to be a little more on the high road, but let us go in and do another album, and bang! Back down to the bad, low road go we."
Old 10-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
See when Mick says things like Christine doesn't want a world tour, that just makes me scream, "Then do a one-off with her in England." If that's not the real reason she's not with the band, then I wish he'd stop suggesting it was, because it can be so easily resolved that it just makes me crazy to keep hearing it.

She doesn't have to tour to be with the band. Mick knows this. Stop saying that's the reason. I'd rather he just said she hates them (or some of them) and at least then I'd feel I could get on with my life.

Michele
I agree with all that. I think what really happened is Chris just slowed down, saw the person she was for the past 20+ years, didn't like it, and changed. I think she was truly done with all the silly drama, the chasing of elusive fame, being a lady drunk, all of it. If you look at the press kit interviews for In The Meantime, it's almost like a completely different person in every way. Christine looked so different... spoke differently, held her body differently, thought differently. I don't know whether the other band members are in denial about the fact that she was tired of living an immature, self centered, unhealthy life; or if it truly embarrasses them they they are still living it.

As for Stevie, I think she's just bluffing. She didn't care for the boys club mentality and hard edged sound of SYW. She wants to have Lindsey by the balls when it's time to sit down and discuss a new album. I think she feels she didn't have enough power or say so last go round, and she wants to have more steering control this time. The more time goes on, the more I suspect we will indeed get that Mac album. It seems everybody went into the SYW project happy, but left unhappy. And this time, everybody is going to go into it unhappy, and maybe that will make for great art, like Rumours and Tango. I guess we'll see...
Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I read this article, that BIG smile came to my face...
To hear these things about a new record from Mick this time is soo exciting and now we know that this wasn't only what Stevie said But now Mick says that Stevie is reluctant...and we all know iit's just because of what happened between her and LB during the SYW making...but why???? Why does she think that it will happen again??? Can't they just go in there and say "Well, let's have a great time this time and enjoy the making of this record!" When this is what Stevie think will happen it's up to her and LB to not make it happen again! I sooo wish they were best friends, lol!

But now we'll just wait 'til January and see what will happen! Hope there'll be a new record, 'cause it seems very possible right now

Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so excited about this! Stevie will do it...I have no doubt in my mind. I, too, have complete faith in her.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyBlueEyes View Post
I'm so excited about this! Stevie will do it...I have no doubt in my mind. I, too, have complete faith in her.
Yeah, go Stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!