User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
And Lindsey barking "YEAH!" didn't help matters.
That's a good point. It could be considered discordant.

Michele
Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I have seen the one with just Stevie, are there more?
I can't remember but as long as you saw that one you should be all set.

Quote:
It just sounds so nice. I have not heard the live version from the Mirage tour back in 1982 and I really want to hear how they did Hold Me live.Did anyone have the privilege of living back then? Wasn't Hold Me a big hit on the radio and MTV?
I was 2o years old in 1982 and I was lucky enough to attend 2 Mirage concerts.

Quote:
To be honest, it's not that great live. I think the technology simply didn't exist in '82 to faithfully recreate the sound onstage. And Lindsey barking "YEAH!" didn't help matters.
I suppose it's just a matter of opinion. I enjoyed FM's live sound better before they added all the backup singers and musicians. When I listen to those older shows I am blown away by the fact that just 4 people created that sound(not including the vocals).
My favorite part of the Live Hold Me was when Stevie and Lindsey sang YEAH at the end of each Hold Me, Hold me.

Because of its repetiveness. I was not impressed with the song in the 1980's but over the hills and faraway in time I have learned to love this song whenever I hear it now.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To be honest, it's not that great live. I think the technology simply didn't exist in '82 to faithfully recreate the sound onstage. And Lindsey barking "YEAH!" didn't help matters.

LOL! I did have the privilege, but I was still a bit too young to remember much. I often wish I were 10 yrs older only so that I could've enjoyed more of the Mac in their heyday...

I'm still dying to hear it, as it's my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. I have the greatest hits cd in my car and I listen to Hold Me usually at least twice a day.

I wish I was twenty some years older so I could have seen all the great bands that I love in their heyday, I'm often told that I'm an old soul.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

I was 2o years old in 1982 and I was lucky enough to attend 2 Mirage concerts.

I suppose it's just a matter of opinion. I enjoyed FM's live sound better before they added all the backup singers and musicians. When I listen to those older shows I am blown away by the fact that just 4 people created that sound(not including the vocals).
My favorite part of the Live Hold Me was when Stevie and Lindsey sang YEAH at the end of each Hold Me, Hold me.

Because of its repetiveness. I was not impressed with the song in the 1980's but over the hills and faraway in time I have learned to love this song whenever I hear it now.
That's like my dream, to be in my early 20s in the early 80s. I agree their concerts before 1987 were much better when it was just the five of them performing with maybe just an extra guitar player if they need two guitars for a song.

The song definitely is repetitive, but I still love to and I never get tired of it, it shows how good Lindsey was at constructing songs.

Does anyone have a video of Hold Me live from 1982? or at least the audio?
Sara also? I love the live video of Sara from the Tusk tour, I want to hear how it sounded in 1982.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Here's the only live version I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRiwAIFIpng
Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did anyone have the privilege of living back then? Wasn't Hold Me a big hit on the radio and MTV?
Do you mean, are any of us old farts who can remember that far back?

Hell yes. Most of the die hands on this site were at least 20 by then. I was 11. Hold Me (#4) was a huge hut, the biggest single on Mirage. Gypsy (#12)was also huge and my favorite song on the album. Love In Store got a lot of airplay as well, and was a mid-sized hit (#22). The Billboard peak positions don't even give a full indication of the impact these songs made, particularly the first two. They were also in frequent rotation on rock stations.

Still, many critics (not counting some crucial exceptions) thought the album was spotty and that, to fans of the previous three records, Lindsey had gone mad. Christine was universally praised. Stevie was not. Lindsey's songs were oddball curios but they weren't edgy or energetic in the same way as they were on Tusk. Years on, the criticisms of it aren't warranted, I think. It really holds up better than Tango.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 03-23-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Hell yes. Most of the die hands on this site were at least 20 by then. I was 11. Hold Me (#4) was a huge hut, the biggest single on Mirage. Gypsy (#12)was also huge and my favorite song on the album. Love In Store got a lot of airplay as well, and was a mid-sized hit (#22). The Billboard peak positions don't even give a full indication of the impact these songs made, particularly the first two. They were also in frequent rotation on rock stations.

Still, many critics (not counting some crucial exceptions) thought the album was spotty and that, to fans of the previous three records, Lindsey had gone mad. Christine was universally praised. Stevie was not. Lindsey's songs were oddball curios but they weren't edgy or energetic in the same way as they were on Tusk. Years on, the criticisms of it aren't warranted, I think. It really holds up better than Tango.

I love mirage, I can listen to it without skipping any songs. I wish they did one more music video for Mirage, maybe one of Lindsey's songs or for Love in Store.

Tango is awesome too, but a lot of the songs are too chorus heavy (this coming from the guy whose favorite song is Hold Me, I know.) I still love them though, Seven Wonders, Little Lies, Everywhere (these three being the chorus heavy ones) and Family man are my favorites. Big Love, Isn't it Midnight, Welcome to the room Sara and Mystified are great as well, but I usually skip Caroline and that one slow Stevie song near the end of the CD.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Everything he said^^^. The airplay was huge! Christine or "Christie McVie", was becoming a household name with MTV and radio airplay. MTV loved Fmac at this time. Gypsy was heavily rotated as well.

Also, HBO was running promos for the "Mirage Live at the LA Forum concert" after every movie. I remember YMLF as part of that promo.

Hold Me is a unique tune in my opinion especially during this time period. It's nothing like Gypsy at all and yet both songs did rather well. The vocal harmonies on, "Hold Me" are rather neat.

I am going from memory, but I think, "Jack and Diane" (John Cougar) was also playing a lot at this time. It was a great time in my life and I remember it well.

Side Note: Christine released, "Got A Hold On Me" two years later and that received heavy airplay too.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live vs. studio.....

It would be great if Lindsey can make Hold Me work live on this tour. I'm sure it can be done. Lindsey made Everywhere work on the Dance tour and I'm sure he could even get Little Lies to work live.The "girls" kind of recked LL for me on the Tango tour
Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Only if you're primarily a Stevie fan. Personally, I'd love to see a behind the scenes with Lindsey and Christine. Also, I'd really like to know when exactly this was filmed. With the stories about them not getting along etc, I'd like to put it in context with a timeline.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It would be great if Lindsey can make Hold Me work live on this tour. I'm sure it can be done. Lindsey made Everywhere work on the Dance tour and I'm sure he could even get Little Lies to work live.The "girls" kind of recked LL for me on the Tango tour
Yes! Everywhere on the Tango your was cringeworthy, the dance Everywhere is pretty much equal in greatness to the album version. There's Lindsey's genius song building again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Only if you're primarily a Stevie fan. Personally, I'd love to see a behind the scenes with Lindsey and Christine. Also, I'd really like to know when exactly this was filmed. With the stories about them not getting along etc, I'd like to put it in context with a timeline.
^This. I would love to see behind the scenes of the Hold Me shoot of the rest of the band as well. I have always wanted to come across old photos or videos of the band with some coke evidence or paraphernalia in the background or something. That would be kinda funny.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the music video too, very 1982. Did anyone have the privilege of living back then? Wasn't Hold Me a big hit on the radio and MTV?[/QUOTE]

I was in first year university when this came out. Yes it was a hit and we always sat around and watched MTV while at parties. I seem to remember that Fleetwood Mac was considered the great band that had been around for the 70's and had morphed it's sound to keep up with the 80's.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but I usually skip Caroline
Tsk tsk tsk.

Just a dream, just a dream.