The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick the next Fleetwood Mac contest.
Choice A - Best of Christine, Lindsey, Stevie 12 22.64%
Choice B - Favorite Non-Hit Song 29 54.72%
Choice C - Favorite Live Performance 6 11.32%
Choice D - Ultimate Fleetwood Mac: 18 Songs Every Fan Should Have 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Yet interestingly, I still have interest in poles. (insert smirky smile here).
That's because your avatar is a penguin and gravitates North.

Michele
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
Choice A - Best of.....

Can we do all these polls one after the other?
This one will run between February to about June. The next would be around September. Gotta leave a break in there for me and everybody to recuperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
This is MacShadowsBall's thread. Ofcourse she'll get around to making a poll of all three. That's what she does best: pole dancing.
Thanks vivfox, but I'ma dude. Haven't we been through this before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I think that the concept of contests that pitch songs against songs are ridiculous.
PenguinHead, I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess being a Ledgie for so long and seeing things like this so many times can be "ridiculous". Nonetheless, I try to make these contests both fair yet different from the ones in the past. Also newer Ledgies haven't experienced song battles and contest. They provide for good discussion and a critical analysis of the Fleetwood Mac catalogue. I hope you participate some, though.

...and until Fleetwood Mac get their act together and give us another album, what else do we have to do!?!?!?!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went with A. It could be fun, grueling, and a little bit offensive.

Trying to narrow Stevie's/Lindsey's/Christine's entire catalog, both solo and FM down to 6 songs each? Sonds like a blast!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I went with A. It could be fun, grueling, and a little bit offensive.

Trying to narrow Stevie's/Lindsey's/Christine's entire catalog, both solo and FM down to 6 songs each? Sonds like a blast!
Actually it would be 18 songs for each of them, solo and FM songs as you said. Kinda like Stevie's Crystal Visions CD but including FM album versions. Plus Lindsey and Christine don't have a official "Best of" released.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Actually it would be 18 songs for each of them, solo and FM songs as you said. Kinda like Stevie's Crystal Visions CD but including FM album versions. Plus Lindsey and Christine don't have a official "Best of" released.
Ah... Just my humble opinion, but 18 songs each seems like it might be too...easy? Not sure that's the right word.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Non-Hit sounds a good choice!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

18 is the perfect count.

That's how many tracks are on Say You Will.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As for solo best-ofs: I am a staunch believer in Singles collections. If there are too many singles, then I believe in establishing some sort of charting position ("Greatest Hits"). I totally hate random "best of" collections that have no basis in history or reality but instead are based on the arbitrary whim of some accountant at a record company.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
As for solo best-ofs: I am a staunch believer in Singles collections. If there are too many singles, then I believe in establishing some sort of charting position ("Greatest Hits"). I totally hate random "best of" collections that have no basis in history or reality but instead are based on the arbitrary whim of some accountant at a record company.
unlike singles?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
unlike singles?
...and consequently impacted the culture as a single.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Ah... Just my humble opinion, but 18 songs each seems like it might be too...easy? Not sure that's the right word.
Quote:
18 is the perfect count.

That's how many tracks are on Say You Will.
18 songs perhaps would be "less challenging" as opposed to 10 or so. Narrowing down Stevie's entire catalog to just 18 songs would definitely be harder than Lindsey or Christine's, in my opinion. Most CD's can hold 18 songs so I thought that was a good number to create that 1-disc "Best of" for each Rumours-era vocalists.

Quote:
I seem to remember you doing a singles list for Christine on her forum last year. My idea would have more that just the singles in the running. All songs penned by that vocalist - solo, FM, etc would be eligible with no restrictions or rules about album limits.

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 01-31-2012 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: because today I'm gramatically inept!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
18 songs perhaps would be "less challenging" as opposed to 10 or so. Narrowing down Stevie's entire catalog to just 18 songs would definitely be harder than Lindsey or Christine's, in my opinion. Most CD's can hold 18 songs so I thought that was a good number to create that 1-disc "Best of" for each Rumours-era vocalists.
how many solo albums did Stevie put out? 7? and 7 albums with FM? some extra singles?

how about Lindsey? 6 solo albums plus 6 albums with FM. plus some extra singles / film songs.

Christine? tons of FM albums, 2 solo, and Chickenshack ones?

[would you count singles? i guess you would need to if you are going with entire catalog from each of them.]

so, they are all probably at about the same number i suspect.

i like 18 as a starting number. we tried to get lindsey down to (i believe?) 10 songs in the recent thread and it was really really painful. most people had to go over 10. you can always follow up by slimming down to a smaller number after that...

Quote:
I seem to remember you doing a singles list for Christine on her forum last year. My idea would have more that just the singles in the running. All songs penned by that vocalist - solo, FM, etc would be eligible with no restrictions or rules about album limits.
i like that. as long as they were officially released?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
18 songs perhaps would be "less challenging" as opposed to 10 or so.
just FYI - on LB board we have recently done "top 10 lindsey solo songs" http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49046 - but not a combination of both solo and FM songs. and it wasn't a poll, we were just trying to list them.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, the actual amount of songs that the three have put out is about the same, but Stevie's are more popular.........

I saw that Lindsey thread, so yeah 10 songs is really hard.

Only official releases would count. Also stickly mainly to the album version of that release.

Certainly things can change before the contest begins based on the overall view of Ledgies, but we can't be changing the rules once the contest begins.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, the actual amount of songs that the three have put out is about the same, but Stevie's are more popular......... .
stevie solo is more popular, of course, but it seems that in general people still go crazy at her solo shows mostly when she sings her FM songs and don't even know most of her her solo catalog other than EO17 and SB? [which is very similar for lindsey too, btw]. note, i'm talking about general audiences at their shows, not huge fans like most people on these boards.

anyway - i don't know her solo songs either way - same as you don't know lindsey solo songs i presume [actually, i barely know lindsey's FM songs from Mirage and Tango ]
Quote:
I saw that Lindsey thread, so yeah 10 songs is really hard.
yup, by the end of the thread we decided we can't have less than 20 solo lindsey songs, and that we could probably whittle down to 50 lindsey songs all together, if we count both his solo and FM songs.
Closed Thread