The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2007 box set. (4oth anniversary)

Ok, I know we all have our opinions of what we'd like to see next year. New album, nothing, ETC. It is my OPINION that there will be a 40th anniversary box set next year with maybe 5 or 6 new songs on it. I could certainly be wrong, but here is why I think this. First of all, as much as I hate to say this, I dont believe a Fleetwood Mac album of new material like SYW will sell enough for the record company to get behind the band with enough financial support. On the other hand, a box set for next year would I think sell well. I mean how many bands have gone over 40 years together without some or all of their members dying. The only one besides Fleetwood Mac I can think of that fits that bill are the Rolling Stones, and they lost Brian Jones. People love nostalgia, as much as that sucks sometimes. ANd believe me Warner Brothers I'm pretty sure isnt interested in throwing alot of money towards a project that may or may not sell. especially in these days of record companies tightening their budgets. SO anyway, assuming there will be a BOx Set, here's what I'd like to see:

7 Cd's. 1 of completely unreleased material from pre '75, and one from post '75. And I'm not talking about rehashing stuff that's already been released. I dont know this for a fact, but I gotta believe there's stuff out there that no one has heard no matter how rampant bootlegging is. Then after that 5 cd's of released material. 2 of pre '75 stuff and 3 of post '75. That seems fairly equitable to me, balancing it out. I know alot of fans here, myself included thought the 25th anniversary set was pretty piss poor. Let's have some suggestions from all you knowledgeable fans on what youd like to see, and who knows, maybe someone important will read it and take some of them and use them.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Junior Ledgie

Since nothing was touched pre-'75 for remastering, there should still be plenty of 'bonus track' material left to put in a box, and who knows how much live stuff is sitting a vault somewhere. A box set would be great.

Larry
Old 08-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Im sure the 40th anniversary will just be another excuse to release "Rumours" in another format
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

unreleased material from pre '75 and post '75 could be interesting for fans.. don't know about general public.

But.. remember the White, Rumours and Tusk special edtions with bonus tracks. Somebody said there would be also editions for Mirage, Tango, etc.. Well we're still waiting. Maybe for the 40 aniv. Anyway, those bonus tracks could also fit in the new boxset. I'm sure Mick would think about since he is always trying to sell stuff (good for us fans if it means unknown material).

On the other hand, there's already a boxset, The Chain. Does any band released more than one boxset? I don't know.

If so, what name would you choose for the new boxset? Right now I think in one, that sounds ironic (I miss Chris) or nostalgic in these days, it's the original Rumours title: YESTERDAY'S GONE
Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva View Post
Im sure the 40th anniversary will just be another excuse to release "Rumours" in another format
HEY!! So, you're stealing my replies now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But.. remember the White, Rumours and Tusk special edtions with bonus tracks. Somebody said there would be also editions for Mirage, Tango, etc..
Originally, it was their ENTIRE WB/Reprise catalogue...from Then Play On to Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightfire View Post
Since nothing was touched pre-'75 for remastering, there should still be plenty of 'bonus track' material left to put in a box, and who knows how much live stuff is sitting a vault somewhere. A box set would be great.
Screw a box set of studio material. Just remaster/reissue those 71-74 and 82-94 albums WITH the requisite bonus tracks. If they want to release a box set, make it all live, AFTER the tour, with live tracks from 1967-2007...five or six discs, whatever it takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I mean how many bands have gone over 40 years together without some or all of their members dying.
Well, ZZ Top is getting there...they've been together not only for 37 years, but without a personnel change at ALL. Same three guys since 1969. Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill & Frank Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
The only one besides Fleetwood Mac I can think of that fits that bill are the Rolling Stones, and they lost Brian Jones.
And, Ian Stewart (their pianist, who toured with them from 1964-198something), but wasn't given "official member" status.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-29-2006 at 03:57 PM..
Old 08-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
HEY!! So, you're stealing my replies
Whoops, sorry - I should leave the "Rumours" bashing to the master, huh
Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva View Post
Whoops, sorry - I should leave the "Rumours" bashing to the master, huh

Nah...ya done good, Grasshopper.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rhino needs to get on the pre-'75 catalog. Bare Trees needs a lot of work.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They all do.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Screw a box set of studio material. Just remaster/reissue those 71-74 and 82-94 albums WITH the requisite bonus tracks.
AMEN to the above!!! 71-74 REMASTERS!!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What was wrong with The Chain box set? I thought they did a great job. There was a lot I wish they had included but it was pretty spiffy.

How about doing something interesting. A CD of remixes, like all those Tango mixes that let Stevie do a little scat singing over everyone else's songs. Okay, I know that sounded mean but I actually like those mixes. Her little addition to Big Love made me totally fall in love with that song.

How about a CD of B-sides. Every single from Tango had rare B-sides that never made it to CD. The video mix of Gypsy? The single mix of Rhiannon? I'm sure there are more demos floating around. We don't need a new greatest hits package, there's been three. Make it all rare stuff from the beginning all the way until SYW.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
What was wrong with The Chain box set? I thought they did a great job. There was a lot I wish they had included but it was pretty spiffy.

How about doing something interesting. A CD of remixes, like all those Tango mixes that let Stevie do a little scat singing over everyone else's songs. Okay, I know that sounded mean but I actually like those mixes. Her little addition to Big Love made me totally fall in love with that song.

How about a CD of B-sides. Every single from Tango had rare B-sides that never made it to CD. The video mix of Gypsy? The single mix of Rhiannon? I'm sure there are more demos floating around. We don't need a new greatest hits package, there's been three. Make it all rare stuff from the beginning all the way until SYW.
By the end of your post, it appears you answered your own original question regarding The Chain box. Where were the Tango B-sides? Where were those Rumours & Tusk outtakes? Where were live tracks from 1971-74? Why did they only use 1 disc for pre-75 material? (those eras deserved better representation) On discs 2 & 3 they practically re-released Rumours & the white album.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
By the end of your post, it appears you answered your own original question regarding The Chain box. Where were the Tango B-sides? Where were those Rumours & Tusk outtakes? Where were live tracks from 1971-74? Why did they only use 1 disc for pre-75 material? (those eras deserved better representation) On discs 2 & 3 they practically re-released Rumours & the white album.
By the end of your post, it appears you answered your own original question regarding The Chain box.

Let's face it, they're NEVER going to do anything but continue to milk Tumours, I mean Rumours. It's really sad, IMO.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I have to agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Let's face it, they're NEVER going to do anything but continue to milk Tumours, I mean Rumours. It's really sad, IMO.
I'm sure they will use the 40th anniversary to milk the 30th anniversary of "Rumours".
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
I'm sure they will use the 40th anniversary to milk the 30th anniversary of "Rumours".
Or, the 20th Anniversary of Tango In The Night??

Or, the 10th Anniversary of The Dance??