Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation The Time Appreciation Thread

Ok so what are everyone's thoughts on the album Time. I think it is one of the most underrated Mac albums ever.... I very much enjoy it.

Much Love,
Ethan
Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's my favorite Fleetwood Mac album. Love it from start to finish, even "These Strange Times."

LOVE Billy Burnette. Love Bekka Bramlett. Not crazy about Dave Mason, but still like his contributions and I think Christine's songs are some of her best.

(Michael, if you make any skidmark comments, I will book a flight to New Zealand and personally kick your ass. )
Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVE. THIS. ALBUM!!
It has gone from the bottom of the stack to the top for sure. I originally got it for the Christine songs. I eventually came to totally lurve the Bekka and Billy tunes...
and even like Dave's, too!

Bekka TOTALLY rocks... in my book! Not only is her singing and writing amazing but she is one very cool chick.
Would have been something to see where this line-up would have gone... but I would have hated for Bekka to be forever destined to singing "Gold Dust Woman".

I totally agree that it is incredibly underrated. I suppose it will forever earmarked as "that one without Stevie & Lindsey" (altho Lindsey does make a bgv appearance). Folks gotta get past what/who is not there and appreciate the collection for what it is.... a collaboration of incredible talents!

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 10-21-2006, 03:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychCat View Post

I totally agree that it is incredibly underrated. I suppose it will forever earmarked as "that one without Stevie & Lindsey"
Time IS a very good album. I like it MUCH better than BTM.
Quote:
Folks gotta get past what/who is not there and appreciate the collection for what it is.... a collaboration of incredible talents!
Yeah, but you know who(the id**ts) won't let that happen.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I don't HATE time. It's pretty good. But as far as it goes as a Mac album. NO WAY! It's so bland. If i heard a song released from that album on the radio I wouldn't think "oh, thats a fleetwood mac song" I'd think "who's this? it's not bad" I just don't class it is a Fleetwood Mac lineup. All the other lineups have had very much there own sound and this one just DOESN'T!! Sorry, but I hardly EVER play ANY songs from this album. It's so unmemorable and bland - no flare. No power. NO STEVIE!!
Old 10-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
NO STEVIE!!
I think that's WHY it stands apart. Don't get me wrong... I love me some Stevie but I don't believe she IS Fleetwood Mac. "Time" is more reminiscent (IMHO) of what FM was pre-B/N. Would have been interesting to hear Bekka with the BTM line-up instead of Stevie. ....along with way better overall production of that cd.

As you can see, I'm incredibly Bekka-biased... and proud of it!
Bekka & Billy are both so incredibly talented and awesome people on and off-stage.
They just so happen to follow the incredibly strong Buckingham/Nicks and will forever be known in the Mac-universe as "those two that replaced.... blah, blah, blah....".

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 10-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm incredibly Bekka-biased... and proud of it!
Amen sister!

'Course, I'm even more Billy-biased than I am Bekka-biased, but when it comes to the ladies of Fleetwood Mac, Bekka is #1 in my book.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky View Post
Amen sister!

'Course, I'm even more Billy-biased than I am Bekka-biased, but when it comes to the ladies of Fleetwood Mac, Bekka is #1 in my book.
You rock, Miss V!!
.... and have incredible taste in music.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You rock, Miss V!!
I know.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I don't HATE time. It's pretty good. But as far as it goes as a Mac album. NO WAY! It's so bland. If i heard a song released from that album on the radio I wouldn't think "oh, thats a fleetwood mac song" I'd think "who's this? it's not bad" I just don't class it is a Fleetwood Mac lineup. All the other lineups have had very much there own sound and this one just DOESN'T!! Sorry, but I hardly EVER play ANY songs from this album. It's so unmemorable and bland - no flare. No power. NO STEVIE!!
See, I don't see how you could like anything PRE B/N then, either.

Face it, you ONLY like FM when old what's her name's in it. Doesn't that make you a Stevie fan, and not really a FM fan?
C'mon- no Stevie, no FM- as far as you're concerned. Admit it.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky View Post
(Michael, if you make any skidmark comments, I will book a flight to New Zealand and personally kick your ass. )

You know my opinions have toned down about "Time" since then. I actually really enjoy it. Christine's songs are some of her best, and Bekka's songs "Nothing Without You" and "Winds of Change" are great. I also love Dave's "I Wonder Why" - but overall, this is probably my least favourite Mac album. Not a bad effort by any stretch - I just don't see what the point was

A solid 2/5

Quote:
Good joke
Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
See, I don't see how you could like anything PRE B/N then, either.

Face it, you ONLY like FM when old what's her name's in it. Doesn't that make you a Stevie fan, and not really a FM fan?
C'mon- no Stevie, no FM- as far as you're concerned. Admit it.
I have explained this before. I LOVE Fleetwood Mac Rumours lineup and Behind the Mask lineup but I have, am and always will, primarilly be a Stevie Nicks fan. However, I love Lindsey's mac stuff and Christine's mac stuff from around the same time and I like some of Christine's solo stuff too. I just don't like the album "Time". No I am not a pre B/N fan but I'm not a blues fan.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have explained this before. I LOVE Fleetwood Mac Rumours lineup and Behind the Mask lineup but I have, am and always will, primarilly be a Stevie Nicks fan. However, I love Lindsey's mac stuff and Christine's mac stuff from around the same time and I like some of Christine's solo stuff too. I just don't like the album "Time". No I am not a pre B/N fan but I'm not a blues fan.
I appreciate the admission of guilt.

The Bob Welch years aren't blues, BTW.
These albums aren't blues.
Mystery To Me
Future Games
Bare Trees
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Penguin
Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, it's time for a Time appreciation thread, or as Van Dyke Parks would say "Time was a magazine..."

For me, these songs are the hits (all in order of appearance):
-Talkin' To My Heart
-Hollywood (SOKOT)
-I Do
-Nothing Without You
-I Got it In For You
-These Strange Times

These are still good to me:
-Winds Of Change (btw is that a cover version?)
-Blow By Blow
-Nights In Estoril

I don't care much about the following
-Dreaming the Dream
-I Wonder Why (they put that on the album)
and those that I haven't mentioned because I don't really remember them.

Having gotten into Fleetwood Mac by ways of Rick and Billy's guest appearances on Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl album, which was one of my first CDs, Time was only the 5th FM related disc that I got, and to be honest, I don't care much about the old FM stuff. To further describe my background, these are the FM related discs that I got prior to time (in chronological order of purchase):
-Out Of the Cradle
-Coming Home
-Behind the Mask
-Street Angel
Having heard Bekka before I got the disc in that duet with Joe Cocker, I didn't really recognize her on Winds Of Change, because she's holding back quite a bit.
Today, Time seems to me more as a predecessor of Bekka&Billy than as a successor of Behind the Mask. The record company should have definitely not messed as much with the BTM-era FM as they have: First, they release a Greatest Hits album and promote it with 2 new members in the band who then had to cover Lindsey. It's hard to step out of anybody's shadow that way. Then came the 'debut' for the new band. And instead of a sophomore effort for the 'new band', a box set chronicling the whole band's career on from the 1960s comes out. No chance of shining on your own. That must have really ruined the BTM-era band's own career. And then, the next chapter opened with Time, and another two old members gone and replaced with new ones.
Still, I prefer Michael Thompson's guitar parts (great solo on Hollywood) over Dave Mason's. And it's good to hear Mick do a song of his own on a FM release, too.

As for the members of the Time era:
-a new solo album in the blues/pop/soul direction by Bekka would be much appreciated
-just as a new album by Billy would be that's not rockabilly, but pop. He's such a great songwriter.
-a new album from Christine would be a real treat, albeit this time with more piano and less funk guitar
-Dave Mason has retired, hasn't he?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster View Post
-Dave Mason has retired, hasn't he?
No, I saw in Pro Sound Magazine, last week, where he played a show in Largo, FL.