Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The music of Saturday Night Special

For whatever reason, I had the urge to watch this movie tonight. I am, of course, a fan of Burnette's music but his movies are... crap. Anyway, as I was watching the movie, I noticed that two of the songs - "Nothing To Do (And All Night To Do It)" and "(All I Can Do Is) Dream You" - weren't really familiar to me. I checked my collection (which is woefully incomplete) and sure enough, neither song is on any of the albums that I have. Can anyone tell me which of Billy's albums these songs are on?

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 12-12-2005 at 02:22 AM..
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd try the Billy Burnette Discography. But, I have all his albums, and I'm not familiar with those two.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

"Nothin' To Do (And All Night To Do It)" was only released on A Warner Bros single in 1992 ("Can't Get Over You" was the B-side).

I don't think Billy ever recorded his own version of "(All I Can Do Is) Dream You" (outside of the movie version you speak of). However, Billy & Rick play on Roy Orbison's version of the song on his "Mystery girl" album.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
"Nothin' To Do (And All Night To Do It)" was only released on A Warner Bros single in 1992 ("Can't Get Over You" was the B-side).

I don't think Billy ever recorded his own version of "(All I Can Do Is) Dream You" (outside of the movie version you speak of). However, Billy & Rick play on Roy Orbison's version of the song on his "Mystery girl" album.

Hope this helps.

John
Well crap. I guess that means I'll just have to watch that damned movie whenever I want to hear those songs. I was really hoping that wasn't going to be the case.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Nothing To Do (And All Night To Do It) being released as a single - does that mean vinyl or CD? Some time ago, I saw a jukebox vinyl of it on ebay, but I only have a CD player, so I can't handle vinyl, but I'd still like to hear the song in its entirety. Back in the Napster days, I was lucky enough to find the 1st verse and part of the chorus in 96k quality, before the transfer was interrupted and the anonymous contributor dissappeared. But I've never heard of the B-side you mentioned. These songs surely would make nice bonus tracks if a reissue of Billy's Coming Home CD was planned, but as that is not planned, I don't really know what to do (and haven't got all night to do it) to find these songs anywhere.
Since Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl was one of the first two albums I bought when I was 11, All I Can Do Is Dream You was my introduction to Fleetwood Mac, so to speak.
If I had a record label, I'd sign Billy any time, so he could return to making his own albums...
Old 12-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

I'd have bought the NTD(AANTDI)/CGOY single on CD if I'd have seen it that way but as far as I know it was just a vinyl release. As it is, I didn't get it when it was out because I understood these songs were going to be "on his new album" (which would've been CH of course) but since they weren't I had to scramble to get a copy & all I could find was a vinyl copy (I did think it was odd that this single was on the large WB label but CH was on the small, I believe, now defunct, WB affiliate, Capricorn). I'd be happy to e mail either of you guys an mp3 of this/these track(s) if you want as I transferred it from vinyl (though I'm no expert at the vinyl to CD stuff so I was lucky to get it to transfer at all (so it might not sound that great), but the offer's there if wanted.

I first heard "Can't get over you" on the A&E "Inside track" program with Graham Nash when The Zoo were on playing a few songs (when Mick was on pushing his bio book) & aisde from that, this single version & the "Are you with me baby" version, I haven't heard of any other release of that song.

John
Old 12-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster
If I had a record label, I'd sign Billy any time, so he could return to making his own albums...
As would I. Profit or no profit, the world needs to hear more of what that man has to offer.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster
If I had a label, I'd also reissue all of his old albums, including "Bekka & Billy" and "I'm Not Me." I might even try to get enough material for a live album. The Graham Nash show would be a good starting place.

Totally off topic, but I was listening to "Gimme Shelter" the other night, and thought THIS would have been perfect for Billy and Bekka.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
If I had a label, I'd also reissue all of his old albums, including "Bekka & Billy" and "I'm Not Me." I might even try to get enough material for a live album. The Graham Nash show would be a good starting place.

Totally off topic, but I was listening to "Gimme Shelter" the other night, and thought THIS would have been perfect for Billy and Bekka.
Agreed on both counts. Incidentally, "Gimme Shelter" is my all time favorite Stones tune.

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 12-15-2005 at 12:50 AM..