Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Best of 2011, part III

http://darkforcesswing.blogspot.com/...honorable.html

Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Best of 2011, part III: Honorable mentions

Today I'll run down some honorable-mention releases, 2011 titles I enjoyed but didn't end up including on either my jazz or all-genres-in-play lists.

Protest the Hero Scurrilous (Vagrant)

Lindsey Buckingham Seeds We Sow (Buckingham)

Aside from the records that did make my TONY top 10, these are the two that came closest to cracking the list. In the end, I just didn't feel that I could recommend either in full, but the highlights on each are magical.

I stumbled across Protest the Hero a few years ago while writing event listings for TONY. I'd heard a few bands fusing prog, metal and emo before, but never with such flair, talent and unabashed bombast. There are some dud tracks on this new one, but wow, the good stuff on here just floors me. Imagine a super-techy, less psychedelic, more overtly metallic Mars Volta circa De-Loused in the Comatorium and you're getting close. The frontman, Rody Walker, is unspeakably good: incredible tone and control combined with pure sardonic attitude. It baffles me a bit that you don't hear more about these guys on the indie-metal buzzfeed, but I think they might be too Warped Tour–ish to win over that crowd. Ignore the subgenre barriers; Protest the Hero is an outstanding band. This video is a little silly, but the over-the-top-ness fits the PTH aesthetic just fine:

Along with my wife, I awakened to Fleetwood Mac in a major way in 2011. The 1975 self-titled album, Rumours and Tusk have been on constant rotation this year (especially the breathtaking "Crystal", which I've started to think of as proto–Will Oldham). I loved Buckingham's fierce live show, and Seeds We Sow, the solo record he supported at that gig, was pretty damn respectable. In the end, there were a few too many weak tracks, but as with PTH, the best ones hit me hard. "Stars Are Crazy" is borderline holy:
And I love the punky chorus on "That's the Way Love Goes":

the rest at http://darkforcesswing.blogspot.com/...honorable.html

Posted by Hank at 9:05 AM Labels: 40 watt sun, cannabis corpse, exhumed, freddie t, gillian welch, lindsey buckingham, liturgy, multitudes, new york dolls, paul simon, protest the hero, raspberry bulbs, shilpa ray, yukon
Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you elle. As always.

I am so happy with SWS and...I'm going to take it out so I can listen to it in the car tomorrow.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Off subject, but Elle I saw your tweet
(or something like it) show up on a search
for Lindsey and Cosmo Kramer.

Happy Festivus to all Ledgies.

And Festivus isn't over until Nico
pins Lindsey in the feats of strength.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Best Music Discovered in 2011, The AV Club

http://www.avclub.com/articles/best-...in-2011,66958/

Todd VanDerWerff

There was a period in the summer months when pretty much all I did was listen to Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk” over and over and over again, for no particular reason. It was a song that got in my head something fierce, and it introduced me to the band’s weird, early-’80s experimental period. I can’t say I like every song out of this period, but it made me think of the group in a new way, and gave me a new appreciation for its ability to craft great hits. Plus, the song features a marching band, and I can’t think of a song featuring a marching band I haven’t enjoyed. (My other favorite discovery from my Fleetwood Mac period? “Silver Springs,” a Rumours outtake that apparently everybody but me knew about already.)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Said the Gramophone Best Songs of 2011

i guess we can go on with the best of lists that Lindsey's on in this thread... otherwise they seem to get lost among other threads.

Said the Gramophone Best Songs of 2011

http://www.saidthegramophone.com/arc...gs_of_2011.php

BEST SONGS OF 2011
by Sean
Please note: MP3s are only kept online for a short time, and if this entry is from more than a couple of weeks ago, the music probably won't be available to download any more.

These are my 100 favourite songs of 2011: songs I love more than plums & peaches & lesser harvests of almonds.

I follow just one arbitrary rule: that no artist may be listed twice.

I made similar lists in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

The best way to browse this list is to click the little arrow beside each song and then to listen as you read. The things you like you can then download by right- or ctrl-clicking with your mouse.

You can also download the complete 100 songs, in two parts: songs 1-50 (259mb) / songs 51-100 (249mb). (mirror)

Said the Gramophone is one of the oldest musicblogs. We try to do just two things well: finding good songs, and writing about them. We don't mess about with tour-dates, videos or advertising. We post new songs and old songs, write clumsy dreams of what we hear. If this is your first time here, I hope you'll bookmark us or subscribe via RSS. You can also follow me on Twitter.

Of these 100 songs, approximately 65 are fronted by men, 35 by women. 47 artists are American, 26 are Canadian, 15 are British, 4 are Swedish, 3 are French, 2 are Australian, and there is one Finn, one Swiss and one Beninese.

My favourite songs of the year do not necessarily speak to my favourite albums of the year. But if you want full-length records that are the best, the best, these were my top 12 in 2011: Colin Stetson's New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges, PJ Harvey's Let England Shake, Kurt Vile's Smoke Ring For My Halo, Adam & the Amethysts' Flickering Flashlight, Shotgun Jimmie's Transistor Sister, Destroyer's Kaputt, Tune-Yards' w h o k i l l, Eleanor Friedberger's Last Summer, Katy B's On A Mission, the Luyas' Too Beautiful to Work, Bry Webb's Provider and Real Estate's Days.

Some songs that you heard in 2011 may have been omitted from this tally because I heard them before this year, and included them in my Best of 2010. For example works by Little Scream, Pat Jordache, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Maison Neuve, Jai Paul and Katy B.

47. Lindsey Buckingham - "Seeds We Sow" [buy]
I am not an engineer or a musician but if I had a studio like Lindsey Buckingham's studio, like the studio I imagine Lindsey Buckingham to have, I would never leave my house. Every single dream or wish, I would render in music. I would record a song of true love, of fulfillment, of a holiday in St Petersburg. I build up my friendships with chords, I would say my farewells with reverb. My walls would be lined with golden records, each one with a secret message in the slow fade out.

And that's 2011's century of songs, best as I can say. There's so much that didn't quite make it, that I wish I was pointing you to. At Said the Gramophone we spent the year writing about as many wonderful songs as we could, and old songs too, treasures kept in drawers. If you're new to the site, please come again (or subscribe). We update almost every weekday, penning tales about the tunes that make us think yes

Thanks for reading, sorry for the broken links, please support these artists with your money. Happy holidaze to all and to all a good night.

Posted by Sean at December 19, 2011 2:07 AM
Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default best of LB 2011 - compiled list from nickslive blog

(thanks for putting the list together nickslive )

http://nickslive.blogspot.com/2011/1...s-lindsey.html

SOMETHING ELSE
Pop music, Rock music, uncategorized, Year-end Top 10 Lists
Nick DeRiso’s Top Albums for 2011, Rock and Pop Edition

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2011...d-pop-edition/
(this whole review is also in the separate thread under "top albums 2011 - Nick DeRiso)

No. 3 - LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM - SEED WE SOW: You keep waiting for Lindsey Buckingham, the old rebel, to soften into middle-aged acceptance, to conform. This wasn’t that record. Credit Buckingham for never trading true emotion for sentiment. Seeds We Sow was as hard eyed as it is musically ambitious. Makes sense. Buckingham, for all of the things he rejects, for all of the things that piss him off and make him play the guitar in a bloody-fingered rage, was never about nothingness. Buckingham’s music, in a move that belied his era, didn’t settle for cheap thrills, quick answers — or something so obvious and easy as nihilism. And, lucky for us, it still doesn’t.

TIME OUT NEW YORK
The best concerts of 2011

By Marley Lynch, Sophie Harris, Hank Shteamer and Steve Smith
http://newyork.timeout.com/music-nig...ackage=2332469

Lindsey Buckingham at the Town Hall, Sept 27
Supporting a strong new solo record, Fleetwood Mac’s male lead and fingerpicking demon of a guitarist proved that he still runs on pure raw-nerve emotion.—HS

COVER ME
The Best Cover Songs of 2011

http://www.covermesongs.com/2011/12/...of-2011.html/3
(we also have a separate thread for this)

38. Lindsey Buckingham: "She Smiled Sweetly" (The Rolling Stones cover)
Buckingham’s Seeds We Sow went top ten on the Billboard charts – not bad for a self-released album by a man in his early sixties. His take on “She Smiles Sweetly” trades the church-like hush of the Stones’ original for the quiet of a man alone in his room, always haunted after midnight. “Don’t worry,” he whispers, quoting her, and you know he feels her breath on the back of his neck, like a breeze from his beloved Pacific Ocean, and you can hear it brushing the sand from his spirit. – Patrick Robbins

BLOG CRITICS
Blog Critics Music Picks The Best Albums of 2011

By Glen Boyd
http://blogcritics.org/music/article...-best-albums1/
(we have a separate thread "BC music picks bets albums of 2011)

Kit O' Toole picks Lindsey Buckingham's Seeds We Sow
Sure, Lindsey Buckingham may be best known for his tenure with Fleetwood Mac. But his 2011 release Seeds We Sow reminds listeners of his unique gifts for songwriting and guitar picking. Whether pondering love and the universe in "Stars Are Crazy," or redemption in "End of Time" and "Gone Too Far," Buckingham impresses with his philosophical musings and sophisticated guitar work. However, he still has the penchant for writing accessible pop and rock. Only he could make anger catchy on "One Take" or the "Second Hand News" sequel "Rock Away Blind" ("I could go crazy without even trying/ Fleeing the scene of the crime," he snarls).

Instead of the slick, almost robotic arrangements of his 80s singles, Seeds We Sow showcases Buckingham at his most intimate and stripped down, revealing his raw talent. "Sliding down the karma slide/ Seems like it never ends," he sings in "End of Time." "When we get to the other side/ Maybe then we'll make amends." Is he discussing his own mortality, or our uncertain times? No matter the interpretation, Seeds We Sow perfectly showcases a superior guitarist, lyricist, and rock 'n' roll survivor. The album demonstrates that sometimes a guitar, voice, and simple arrangements can say more than a full-blown production ever could.

CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE (December issue):
A-Z Best Songs of 2011

(we have a separate thread)

"Seeds We Sow" Lindsey Buckingham
The lush sound of Fleetwood Mac stripped right down and laid bare. It's a haunting ode to the way the fates dictate life's path. It oozes charisma with every note, and highlights how underrated Buckingham truly is.

MAGNET
Best Of 2011: Singer/Songwriter

December 7, 2011
http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2011/1...gersongwriter/
(we have this in one of the threads added at the beginning of Dec)

MAGNET’s Hobart Rowland picks the best singer/songwriter releases of the year.

1. RYAN ADAMS Ashes And Fire (PAX-AM/Capitol)
2. IRON & WINE Kiss Each Other Clean (Warner Bros.)
3. LIAM FINN Fomo (Yep Roc)
4. LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM Seeds We Sow (Mind Kit)
5. JOAN AS POLICE WOMAN The Deep Field (Play It Again Sam)
6. A.A. BONDY Believers (Fat Possum)
7. RICHARD BUCKNER Our Blood (Merge)
8. MATTHEW SWEET Modern Art (Missing Piece)
9. STEPHIN MERRITT Obscurities (Merge)
10. BILL CALLAHAN Apocalypse (Drag City)

DARK FORCESS WING
Honorable-mention releases

http://darkforcesswing.blogspot.com/...honorable.html
(this was the starter for this thread)

Lindsey Buckingham "Seeds We Sow"
Along with my wife, I awakened to Fleetwood Mac in a major way in 2011. The 1975 self-titled album, Rumours and Tusk have been on constant rotation this year (especially the breathtaking "Crystal", which I've started to think of as proto–Will Oldham). I loved Buckingham's fierce live show, and Seeds We Sow, the solo record he supported at that gig

REVERB
Best of 2011: Songs of the year

by: Mike Long, Reverb writer
http://www.heyreverb.com/2011/12/21/best-songs-2011/
(we don't have a separate thread for this one)

10. Washed Out, “Amor Fati”
9. Lykke Li, “Get Some”
8. Real Estate, “Out Of Tune”
7. A.A. Bondy, “Rte. 28/Believers”
6. Tennis, “Long Boat Pass”
5. Lindsey Buckingham, “Gone Too Far”
4. Antlers, “No Widows”
3. Smith Westerns, “Weekend”
2. Shapes Have Fangs,”The Desert (Has A Place For You)”
1. Adele, “I’ll Be Waiting”

MUSICAL FAMILY TREE
Year-End Lists 2011: Jon's Picks

by Jon Rogers
http://www.musicalfamilytree.net/pro...ource=activity
(we don't have a separate thread for this)

Top 10 Personal Musical Discoveries in 2011
Lindsey Buckingham was actually a pretty amazing songwriter. Go ahead and laugh if you must, or try to deny it. But unless you’ve fully digested his songs on Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk or his 1981 solo debut Law And Order, your argument is completely meaningless to me. Discovering these two albums this year made me revisit the other Buckingham-era Fleetwood Mac albums I had only casually listened to in the past (while trying to ignore the nagging feeling that I kind of liked them), and like almost everyone else who is around age 30 and unafraid of being labeled “tasteless”, realized that those albums are incredible, largely due to Buckingham’s songs. In any case, I still hate the theme song to National Lampoon’s Vacation, but I plan to seek out whatever else I can find.

THE MIX
The Top 25 Rock Albums of 2011

by Rhapsody Editorial
http://www.rhapsody.com/blog/2011/12/rock2011
(separate thread here under Rhapsody top 25)

7. Lindsey Buckingham "Seeds We Sow"
There's something timeless about Lindsey Buckingham's musical vision. Much of this has to do with his fingerpicking and voice; neither has aged all that much since he joined Fleetwood Mac back in the mid-'70s. Recorded and released by the man himself, the thoroughly enjoyable Seeds We Sow feels particularly youthful. Numerous tracks, including "That's the Way Love Goes" and "End of Time," don't sound too different from much of what passes for modern indie pop. He closes out the record with a nice rendition of "She Smiled Sweetly," a deep track from The Rolling Stones' Between the Buttons. [J.F.]

CNET
Top 10 Music Blu-Rays

by Steve Guttenberg
http://www.rhapsody.com/blog/2011/12/rock2011
(this is in the Songs from the Small Machine DVD thread, page 5 http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...6&postcount=83)

Lindsey Buckingham
“Songs From the Small Machine – Live in L.A.”

This show from earlier this year looks and sounds great, definitely the sort of thing you’ll want to play to wow your audiophile or home theater pals. The opening tunes feature just Buckingham alone on stage, singing and playing guitar, and you really hear his sound filling the old theater. When the rest of the band joins Buckingham the recording’s hard-hitting dynamic range struts its stuff. The set list includes his solo and Fleetwood Mac tunes. The theater’s ambience and the appreciative crowd’s cheers sound utterly natural coming from the surround channels.

ALL MUSIC
Favorite Rock Albums of 2011

by: AMG Staff
http://blog.allmusic.com/2011/12/19/...11/#more-11307
(no separate thread for this)

Twenty years after Nevermind, Nirvana’s drummer Dave Grohl still thunders with his Foo Fighters, who sounded fiercer on Wasting Light than they have in years. Other veteran rockers continued to build on their strengths: Tom Waits revisited Rain Dogs territory on Bad as Me, Paul Simon released a new millennial Hearts & Bones with So Beautiful or So What, while PJ Harvey released the dense, haunting Let England Shake. Not all the rock of 2011 was so weighty, though: the Black Keys capitalized on their breakthrough with the trashy El Camino, a record with nothing but beats and riffs on its mind.

…And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead – The Tao of the Dead
Brett Anderson – Black Rainbows
Arctic Monkeys – Suck It and See
The Black Keys – El Camino
Blitzen Trapper – American Goldwing
Lindsey Buckingham – Seeds We Sow
Duran Duran – All You Need Is Now
Foo Fighters – Wasting Light
John Wesley Harding – The Sound of His Own Voice
PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
Joe Henry – Reverie
The Jayhawks – Mockingbird Time [pictured]
John Paul Keith – The Man That Time Forgot
The Kills – Blood Pressures
Nick Lowe – The Old Magic
Radiohead – The King of Limbs
Paul Simon – So Beautiful or So What
Urge Overkill – Rock & Roll Submarine
Tom Waits – Bad As Me

AVCLUB
Best music discovered in 2011

by: Todd VanDerWerff
http://www.avclub.com/articles/best-...in-2011,66958/
(no separate thread, Michele added to this thread, post #4)

FLEETWOOD MAC - "TUSK"
There was a period in the summer months when pretty much all I did was listen to Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk” over and over and over again, for no particular reason. It was a song that got in my head something fierce, and it introduced me to the band’s weird, early-’80s experimental period. I can’t say I like every song out of this period, but it made me think of the group in a new way, and gave me a new appreciation for its ability to craft great hits. Plus, the song features a marching band, and I can’t think of a song featuring a marching band I haven’t enjoyed. (My other favorite discovery from my Fleetwood Mac period? “Silver Springs,” a Rumours outtake that apparently everybody but me knew about already.)

EDIT: check above and below for additional "best of"

Last edited by elle; 12-23-2011 at 09:38 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[A cover, I know. Still . . .]

The wounded jukebox 12-26-2011
http://thewoundedjukebox.com/2011/12...11-matts-list/

20. Penguin Prison – “Don’t **** With My Money” [video]

19. Mozart Parties – “Black Cloud”

18. Nightlands – “Trouble” (Lindsey Buckingham cover)

17. Hail Mary Mallon – “Grubstake” [video]

16. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – “Little Blu House” [video]

15. M83 – “OK Pal”

14. Mathieu Santos – “I Can Hear The Trains Coming” [video]

13. Ane Brun – “Do You Remember” [video]

12. Hyde & Beast – “Never Come Back” [video]

11. The War On Drugs – “Baby Missiles” [video]

10. North Highlands – “Benefits” [video]

9. Austra – “The Beast”

8. Michael Kiwanuka – “I’m Getting Ready” [video]

7. Robin Pecknold – “Derwentwater Stones”

6. Jai Paul – “BTSTU” (Edit)

5. Jim Ward – “Broken Songs” (Electric) [video]

4. Bachelorette – “Blanket” [video]

3. Deportees – “Islands And Shores”

2. Lord Huron – “The Stranger” [video]
Old 12-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up A2G top 21 songs of 2011

http://according2g.com/2011/12/a2gs-...songs-of-2011/

According 2 G
The Best of the Music & Art Scene In New York From A to G. Daily!

A2G’s Top 21 Songs of 2011
Posted by The G on December 12, 2011 under G Reviews |

Photos by G.

2011 was a better than normal year for good tunes. In no particular order, here’s a list of 21 songs that made my world a lot groovier. I don’t think that all of the tracks were released as singles, and if they were, many of these gems were probably not played in a mainstream way (like the radio). That’s sad, especially when over-produced pop songs that sound good on ONE LISTEN ONLY are played ad nauseum to the masses while they open their mouths wide for something to suck on.

Jack White
“Love is Blindness” by Jack White.

Lenny Kravitz
“Superlove” by Lenny Kravitz.

Alex Frankel of Holy Ghost!
“Hold My Breath” by Holy Ghost!

Christopher Owens of Girls
“Vomit” by Girls.

Duran Duran
“The Man Who Stole A Leopard” by Duran Duran.

Jonny Pierce of The Drums
“If He Likes It Let Him Do It” by The Drums.

Thom Yorke
“Lotus Flower” by Radiohead.

Lana Del Rey
“Blue Jeans (Penguin Prison Remix)” by Lana Del Rey.

Chris Glover of Penguin Prison
“Don’t **** With My Money” by Penguin Prison.

Chris Martin of Coldplay
“Up In Flames” by Coldplay.

Hanni El Khatib
“Come Alive” by Hanni El Khatib.

Friendly Fires
“Hurting” by Friendly Fires.

Adele
“Rolling In The Deep” by Adele.

Katy B
“Why You Always Here” by Katy B.

Philip Oakey of Human League
“Night People” by Human League.

Lindsey Buckingham
“In Our Own Time” by Lindsey Buckingham.
Lindsey Buckingham just gets better with age. On his latest album “Seeds We Sow,” the songs range from reflective ballads to the rockin’ anthem “In Our Own Time,” which assets, “It wouldn’t make any difference. We crossed the line. From the fire we will rise again. In our own time.” It’s such an empowering anthem! It was a toss up between this song and “Stars Are Crazy,” which is a reflective look at questioning yourself.

Madeline Follin of Cults
“Abducted” by Cults. I love Cults.

Elizabeth Harper of Class Actress
“Keep You” by Class Actress.

Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine
“Breaking Down” by Florence and the Machine.

Fitz and the Tantrums
“Moneygrabber” by Fitz and the Tantrums.

Morris Day of the Original 7ven
”Strawberry Lake” by The Original 7ven.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
http://according2g.com/2011/12/a2gs-...songs-of-2011/

According 2 G
The Best of the Music & Art Scene In New York From A to G. Daily!

A2G’s Top 21 Songs of 2011
Posted by The G on December 12, 2011 under G Reviews |

Photos by G.

2011 was a better than normal year for good tunes. In no particular order, here’s a list of 21 songs that made my world a lot groovier. I don’t think that all of the tracks were released as singles, and if they were, many of these gems were probably not played in a mainstream way (like the radio). That’s sad, especially when over-produced pop songs that sound good on ONE LISTEN ONLY are played ad nauseum to the masses while they open their mouths wide for something to suck on.
Jack White
“Love is Blindness” by Jack White.

Lenny Kravitz
“Superlove” by Lenny Kravitz.

Alex Frankel of Holy Ghost!
“Hold My Breath” by Holy Ghost!

Christopher Owens of Girls
“Vomit” by Girls.

Duran Duran
“The Man Who Stole A Leopard” by Duran Duran.

Jonny Pierce of The Drums
“If He Likes It Let Him Do It” by The Drums.

Thom Yorke
“Lotus Flower” by Radiohead.

Lana Del Rey
“Blue Jeans (Penguin Prison Remix)” by Lana Del Rey.

Chris Glover of Penguin Prison
“Don’t **** With My Money” by Penguin Prison.

Chris Martin of Coldplay
“Up In Flames” by Coldplay.

Hanni El Khatib
“Come Alive” by Hanni El Khatib.

Friendly Fires
“Hurting” by Friendly Fires.

Adele
“Rolling In The Deep” by Adele.

Katy B
“Why You Always Here” by Katy B.

Philip Oakey of Human League
“Night People” by Human League.

Lindsey Buckingham
“In Our Own Time” by Lindsey Buckingham.
Lindsey Buckingham just gets better with age. On his latest album “Seeds We Sow,” the songs range from reflective ballads to the rockin’ anthem “In Our Own Time,” which assets, “It wouldn’t make any difference. We crossed the line. From the fire we will rise again. In our own time.” It’s such an empowering anthem! It was a toss up between this song and “Stars Are Crazy,” which is a reflective look at questioning yourself.

Madeline Follin of Cults
“Abducted” by Cults. I love Cults.

Elizabeth Harper of Class Actress
“Keep You” by Class Actress.

Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine
“Breaking Down” by Florence and the Machine.

Fitz and the Tantrums
“Moneygrabber” by Fitz and the Tantrums.

Morris Day of the Original 7ven
”Strawberry Lake” by The Original 7ven.
Another list?!!

That's our boy

( and I like the guy's intro, too )
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ha - more people who dislike that reverb-ed sped-up whatever-he-does-to-it voice. more people who would be so well served if they heard him live.

i forgot about this review but this sentence has interesting description of what he did to his voice on a number of SWS songs: "But where Gift Of Screws showcased the unforced and immediate passion of his voice, even the best moments on Seeds feel as though they’re being heard through a stethoscope placed upon Buckingham’s chest."

Sound Opinion message board (SOMB) voting results (100 best albums of 2011):
http://www.soundopinions.org/forum/i...hreaded&start=

Lindsey Buckingham | Seeds We Sow

The AV Club Says:

There’s a reason Lindsey Buckingham is portrayed as the aloof-and-silent type on Saturday Night Live’s “What’s Up With That?”: In real life, he’s always seemed that way. Yet his songs with Fleetwood Mac—many of which he sang—remain some of the most heartrendingly intimate ever committed to mass consciousness. His solo work since Mac’s prime has been hit or miss, but 2008’s Gift Of Screws was a beautiful reminder of Buckingham’s bygone directness and warmth. His new album, Seeds We Sow, sees him shying away again. But not always in a bad way.

Seeds’ biggest barrier is one Buckingham has always shielded himself with: the studio. Otherwise stunning folk-rock gems such as “Stars Are Crazy” and the disc’s title track drown stark, naked folk in staccato reverb and air-conditioned acoustics. Often, though, Buckingham elicits gooseflesh for the right reasons. “Illumination” is a sharp, accusatory screed that vibrates like a Tusk outtake, and “In Our Own Time” wrings sorcery out of Buckingham’s signature finger-picked arpeggios and haunted swathes of harmony. But where Gift Of Screws showcased the unforced and immediate passion of his voice, even the best moments on Seeds feel as though they’re being heard through a stethoscope placed upon Buckingham’s chest.

One thing Buckingham has never forgotten, though, is how to construct albums with the consummate balance and gravity-defying magic of an architect. After laying a foundation of sprawling airiness and sumptuous overdubs, he tops Seeds with “She Smiled Sweetly,” a bittersweet, almost medieval-sounding love song that falters and quivers like collapsing lungs. And when he closes the track—and the album—with what might be the soft, breathy aftershock of a kiss, he once again cuts through all the effects and atmospherics to deliver a little raw piece of his heart. – Jason Heller, 6 September 2011

SOMB Says:

“how is it that this guy keeps making such vital, weirdly out-of-time music? lots of this stuff just sound like countrified versions of material that could've come off go crazy (in our own time) but that's far from a bad thing. last summer--at least i think it was last summer--i put playing in the rain on a mixtape between mc5 and curren$y and he fit perfectly between the two. and basically the same goes for everything here. actually, a lot of this reminds me of joanna newsom, rounded madrigal stuff, but crossed with elo prog-pop. basically, lindsey buckingham is better than anyone else out there.” – stephen thomas erlewine

“Maybe I have a bad rip of this album, but I'm not digging the production at all. The drums just sound really cheap - hopefully when the actual album shows up it will prove to be the rip, but the production is actually bugging me (save for the songs that are just Lindsey on guitar).” – The Luscious Phil

“Really can't stop listening to this. This is my first album by him or any one related to fleetwood mac
Where do I go next. Seriously. Do I do the classic mac albums or his early solo???
I feel I've opened a Pandora's box.
And I like it.” – b*derty

“The guitar work, as always, is exemplary.” TSLOW

“The production has been one of the big digs against Lindsey's solo music, especially lately, and hearing it on CD, or even vinyl (and I don't think it's been issued that way yet) isn't going to change that. This album is just him, except on one song. While I appreciate his versatility, and I'm sure he's converted three of 12 bedrooms into a recording studio, I can't argue that a more organic approach with a band in a big room would make his amazing songs and guitar sound so much better. That said, I like the sound he gets out of him, his 60 guitars, his three bedrooms and his MacBook. But I'd KILL to have just him, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie in a theater someplace playing his and FM's catalog. I'm smiling just thinking about it.” - Bobzilla

“live around the corner from the Vic, and he played there at some point this year. I didn't go, but couldn't believe the amount of equipment they were loading out. They had an 18-wheeler, and maybe most of it was stage props or something, but at first glance I just assumed there were 30+ people playing on stage or something judging by all the flight cases and such in the alley south of the venue.” – Mr. Sinistro

“I dunno man, as much as the guitar playing and song crafting on this thing are masterful, am I the only one that wishes someone else were singing?” - tweed

Artist’s Previously Ranked Albums: n/a

Ranked Highest By: Elemeno P.T., b*derty (#4)
Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ha - more people who dislike that reverb-ed sped-up whatever-he-does-to-it voice. more people who would be so well served if they heard him live.

i forgot about this review but this sentence has interesting description of what he did to his voice on a number of SWS songs: "But where Gift Of Screws showcased the unforced and immediate passion of his voice, even the best moments on Seeds feel as though they’re being heard through a stethoscope placed upon Buckingham’s chest."

Sound Opinion message board (SOMB) voting results (100 best albums of 2011):
http://www.soundopinions.org/forum/i...hreaded&start=

Lindsey Buckingham | Seeds We Sow

The AV Club Says:

There’s a reason Lindsey Buckingham is portrayed as the aloof-and-silent type on Saturday Night Live’s “What’s Up With That?”: In real life, he’s always seemed that way. Yet his songs with Fleetwood Mac—many of which he sang—remain some of the most heartrendingly intimate ever committed to mass consciousness. His solo work since Mac’s prime has been hit or miss, but 2008’s Gift Of Screws was a beautiful reminder of Buckingham’s bygone directness and warmth. His new album, Seeds We Sow, sees him shying away again. But not always in a bad way.

Seeds’ biggest barrier is one Buckingham has always shielded himself with: the studio. Otherwise stunning folk-rock gems such as “Stars Are Crazy” and the disc’s title track drown stark, naked folk in staccato reverb and air-conditioned acoustics. Often, though, Buckingham elicits gooseflesh for the right reasons. “Illumination” is a sharp, accusatory screed that vibrates like a Tusk outtake, and “In Our Own Time” wrings sorcery out of Buckingham’s signature finger-picked arpeggios and haunted swathes of harmony. But where Gift Of Screws showcased the unforced and immediate passion of his voice, even the best moments on Seeds feel as though they’re being heard through a stethoscope placed upon Buckingham’s chest.

One thing Buckingham has never forgotten, though, is how to construct albums with the consummate balance and gravity-defying magic of an architect. After laying a foundation of sprawling airiness and sumptuous overdubs, he tops Seeds with “She Smiled Sweetly,” a bittersweet, almost medieval-sounding love song that falters and quivers like collapsing lungs. And when he closes the track—and the album—with what might be the soft, breathy aftershock of a kiss, he once again cuts through all the effects and atmospherics to deliver a little raw piece of his heart. – Jason Heller, 6 September 2011

SOMB Says:

“how is it that this guy keeps making such vital, weirdly out-of-time music? lots of this stuff just sound like countrified versions of material that could've come off go crazy (in our own time) but that's far from a bad thing. last summer--at least i think it was last summer--i put playing in the rain on a mixtape between mc5 and curren$y and he fit perfectly between the two. and basically the same goes for everything here. actually, a lot of this reminds me of joanna newsom, rounded madrigal stuff, but crossed with elo prog-pop. basically, lindsey buckingham is better than anyone else out there.” – stephen thomas erlewine

“Maybe I have a bad rip of this album, but I'm not digging the production at all. The drums just sound really cheap - hopefully when the actual album shows up it will prove to be the rip, but the production is actually bugging me (save for the songs that are just Lindsey on guitar).” – The Luscious Phil

“Really can't stop listening to this. This is my first album by him or any one related to fleetwood mac
Where do I go next. Seriously. Do I do the classic mac albums or his early solo???
I feel I've opened a Pandora's box.
And I like it.” – b*derty

“The guitar work, as always, is exemplary.” TSLOW

“The production has been one of the big digs against Lindsey's solo music, especially lately, and hearing it on CD, or even vinyl (and I don't think it's been issued that way yet) isn't going to change that. This album is just him, except on one song. While I appreciate his versatility, and I'm sure he's converted three of 12 bedrooms into a recording studio, I can't argue that a more organic approach with a band in a big room would make his amazing songs and guitar sound so much better. That said, I like the sound he gets out of him, his 60 guitars, his three bedrooms and his MacBook. But I'd KILL to have just him, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie in a theater someplace playing his and FM's catalog. I'm smiling just thinking about it.” - Bobzilla

“live around the corner from the Vic, and he played there at some point this year. I didn't go, but couldn't believe the amount of equipment they were loading out. They had an 18-wheeler, and maybe most of it was stage props or something, but at first glance I just assumed there were 30+ people playing on stage or something judging by all the flight cases and such in the alley south of the venue.” – Mr. Sinistro

“I dunno man, as much as the guitar playing and song crafting on this thing are masterful, am I the only one that wishes someone else were singing?” - tweed

Artist’s Previously Ranked Albums: n/a

Ranked Highest By: Elemeno P.T., b*derty (#4)
Some great comments there, Elle. Nice find

Men of the Mac tour <333

----------------------
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://indiealbany.com/2011/12/06/to...lbums-of-2011/

Top 20 Albums of 2011

DECEMBER 6, 2011 BY J. ERIC SMITH

As I was reviewing all of my new music purchases from 2011, working up my “Best Of” list for the year, it occured to me that 2011 is the 20th consecutive year that I have publicly offered such a year-end list for reader scrutiny, either on commercial websites, or for various print publications, or as a member of a couple of different blog communities. Before I lay out my 2011 list for your perusal, therefore, I thought I would share my “Album of the Year” winners for the past two decades, just for grins and giggles. There are a couple of years where, with 20/20 hindsight, I’m not quite sure exactly what I was thinking when I made these choices, but I own ‘em and embrace ‘em, for better or worse, occassional lapses in taste be damned. You may look at this list and decide that you don’t really care what I liked most in 2011. I’d understand and respect that.

1992: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Henry’s Dream
1993: Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville
1994: Ween, Chocolate and Cheese
1995: Björk, Post
1996: R.E.M., New Adventures in Hi-Fi
1997: Geraldine Fibbers, Butch
1998: Jarboe, Anhedoniac
1999: Static-X, Wisconsin Death Trip
2000: Warren Zevon, Life’ll Kill Ya
2001: Björk, Vespertine
2002: The Residents, Demons Dance Alone
2003: Wire, Send
2004: The Fall, The Real New Fall LP (Formerly “Country on the Click”)
2005: Mindless Self Indulgence, You’ll Rebel to Anything
2006: Gnarls Barkley, St. Elsewhere
2007: Max Eider, III: Back in the Bedroom
2008: Frightened Rabbit, The Midnight Organ Fight
2009: Mos Def, The Ecstatic
2010: Snog, Last Of The Great Romantics
2011: To be determined . . . below . . .

Okay, so with that as preamble and teaser, let’s move on to 2011, which was a very, very good year for challenging new music, by any measure. There are some years when picking my Album of the Year is really quite easy, since one disc so dominates the competition that there’s not a lot of thought required come December. This wasn’t one of those years, though, as I found myself looking, on first cut, at a list of six outstanding albums that had seperated themselves from the pack over the course of the past twelve months, and really being challenged to decide which one of those six deserved Album of the Year honors. It took some re-listens, some research, and some reflection, but when all was said and done, I feel good about making the following selection . . .

2011 ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Planningtorock, W: 2011 JES Album of the Year

So what about those other five albums that were in the woulda-coulda zone, rubbing shoulders with Planningtorock as I culled the list down to the best of the best? Here they are in alphabetical order:

2011 HONORABLE MENTIONS
Death Grips, Exmilitary
Future Islands, On The Water
Krallice, Diotima
St. Vincent, Strange Mercy
White Denim, D

Alright, so there are six particularly great albums down, and here are the remaining 14 discs (also great) of my 2011 Top 20 . . .

2011: THE BEST OF THE REST
Cheeseburger, Another Big Night Down the Drain
F*cked Up, David Comes To Life
Lindsey Buckingham, Seeds We Sow: As always, Buckingham delivers thrilling finger-picked guitar, terrific melodies, and sweetly sung, richly-layered vocals. It’s a shame he has to hang out with Stevie Nicks to get people to pay the attention to him that he should garner on his own.
The Fall, Ersatz GB
Hooray for Earth, True Loves
I’m From Barcelona, Forever Today
Pete and the Pirates, One Thousand Picturest-Pop
Primordial, Redemption at the Puritan’s Hand
Real Estate, Days
Red Hot Chili Peppers, I’m With You
Shabazz Palaces, Black Up
Sin Fang, Summer Echoes
Wire, Red Barked Tree
Yes, Fly From Here
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.nippertown.com/2011/12/29...ned-to-albums/

Best of 2011: Greg Haymes’ Top 13 Most-Listened-To Albums

I’m not saying that these were the best albums of the year. But they were the ones that I found myself returning to again and again and again:

13. Laura Marling’s “A Creature I Don’t Know” (Virgin)
12. Joe Ely’s “Satisfied at Last” (Rack’em)
11. Tom Waits’ “Bad as Me” (Anti-)
10. Alison Krauss & Union Station’s “Paper Airplane” (Rounder)
9. Abigail Washburn’s “City of Refuge” (Foreign Children)
8. Gillian Welch’s “The Harrow & the Harvest” (Acony)
7. Gretchen Parlato’s “The Lost and Found” (ObliqSound)
6. James Blake’s “James Blake” (Universal Republic)
5. Wilco’s “The Whole Love” (dBpm)
4. Lindsey Buckingham’s “Seeds We Sow” (Mind Kit)
3. Ry Cooder’s “Pull Up Some Dust and Sit Down” (Nonesuch)
2. Glen Campbell’s “Ghost on the Canvas” (Surfdog)
1. Willy DeVille’s “The Best of Willy DeVille: Come a Little Bit Closer” (Eagle)

by Greg Haymes, Nippertown writer-editor
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mike Mettler, Sound + Vision Editor-In-Chief (http://soundandvisionmag.com) has been tweeting his top 11 albums of 2011:

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 10, #2: Butch Walker and the Black Widows: The Spade @butchwalker amzn.to/vJUWMl
29 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 9, #3: Garland Jeffreys: The King of In Between @garlandjeffreys amzn.to/tLAv4C
28 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 8, #4: Fountains of Wayne: Sky Full of Holes amzn.to/uGHbMO
27 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 7, Day After Xmas Edition! #5: Tommy Shaw: The Great Divide amzn.to/taGd0t
26 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 6, Xmas Day Edition! #6: Lindsey Buckingham: Seeds We Sow amzn.to/t1BIPI
25 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 5, Xmas Eve Edition! #7: JP Soars: More Bees With Honey amzn.to/v8L6bh
24 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 4! #8: My Morning Jacket's Circuital amzn.to/vQYa0N
23 Dec

@MikeMettler
Final top a.m. commute track of 2011: Danger Mouse's "99 Problems" [ace-high mashup of Jay-Z with the Beatles' "Helter Skelter"]
23 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 3! #9: The Black Keys: El Camino amzn.to/uEfqpP
22 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown, Day 2! #10: The Raveonettes: Raven in the Grave amzn.to/vGkiRN
21 Dec

@MikeMettler
MM's Top 11 Albums of 2011 Countdown starts here! #11: Fleet Foxes -- Helplessness Blues
20 Dec
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Five of 2011's Most Underrated Discs

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/dec/...errated-discs/

Five of 2011's Most Underrated Discs

Contact Jesse De Leon at hofner999@yahoo.com
Posted December 30, 2011 at 5 a.m.

"Modern Love" MAT NATHANSON

"Seeds We Sow" LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM

"Paul McCartney's Ocean's Kingdom" PAUL MCCARTNEY

"Superheavy" SUPERHEAVY

"Young Love" MAT KEARNEY

CORPUS CHRISTI — Now that 2011 is in our collective rear view mirror, it seems to be a fitting vantage point from which to look back a little more clearly. Musically, it was an interesting year as CD sales continued to swiftly sink. While certain titles enjoyed success on specially-issued vinyl versions, the digital download was still the format of choice for most music consumers. Sure, there were blockbusters from Adele and Kanye, but it is always interesting to note some of the year's more underrated releases. In no particular order, here are five of the year's musical underdogs that are worthy of a second spin.

"Young Love" Mat Kearney (Universal Republic) Kearney's adept if somewhat unconventional gift for melody served him well on his third major label release. His lyrics are masterfully spiritual without being preachy and that has garnered him significant airplay on Christian radio. "Sooner or Later," "Young, Dumb and In Love" and "Learning to Love Again" were just a few highlights of this tragically underappreciated set.

"Seeds We Sow" Lindsey Buckingham (42West) The former Fleetwood Mac guitar virtuoso has always dwelled on the sidelines when it came to his solo career. His penchant for quirky has always shaded his music and that left-of-center approach still infuses his own brand of pop. The catchy melodies are everywhere over the course of these eleven songs, especially "In Our Own Time," "Illumination" and "End of the World," the latter being the most autobiographical set of lyrics he's written and is easily the best song on the disc.

"Paul McCartney's Ocean's Kingdom" Paul McCartney (Concord) McCartney has never been a stranger to reinvention, as his previous dabbling into classical music demonstrated. He took it a step further this year as he was commissioned to compose a ballet and this sprawling group of melodies and flourishes is impressive in their own quiet, underrated way.

"Superheavy" Superheavy (Universal Republic) Mick Jagger has always toyed with the idea of a solo career. His sporadic output since 1985's She's the Boss sounded more like he was just moonlighting when the Stones were on hiatus. He teams with soul chanteuse Joss Stone, Damian Marley and former Eurythmic mastermind Dave Stewart on this ad hoc one-off attempt at a supergroup. "Miracle Worker" and "Common Ground" are two of the most interesting tracks.

"Modern Love" Mat Nathanson (Vanguard) Perhaps the best album that the fewest people heard this past year belonged to the sharp-witted Nathanson. On this album, he proved to be quite the tunesmith, melding thoughtful, sensitive lyrics with deceptively catchy melodies. He is known for his hilarious observations that border on stand-up when performing his live shows, but the sheer excellence of "Faster," "Drop to Hold You" and "Room at the End of the World" are no laughing matter.

© 2011 Corpus Christi Caller Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.