Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rolling Stone review of Behind The Mask

I was just checking out Rolling Stone's website & came across their review of Behind The Mask. It's actually a VERY good review, by the way. (4 stars out of 5)

Fleetwood Mac

Behind The Mask

Originally released: 1990
Warner Bros. Records

The joke goes something like this: Lindsey Buckingham was such an integral part of Fleetwood Mac that the band needed two guitarists to fill his space. What's really funny, though, is that the addition of Rick Vito and Billy Burnette is the best thing to ever happen to Fleetwood Mac. On Behind the Mask, the band doesn't surrender an inch of the territory it staked out in the Seventies. This notoriously unstable family keeps its center still for once, using the same slow-push melodies, thudding drums and endlessly repeated refrains. And right up front, Vito and Burnette play those slides and solos that leap out of a song, have their say and sink back into the ensemble.

Vito and Burnette's presence is one of the reasons Behind the Mask doesn't sound like a supergroup's last stand. The songs they wrote or co-wrote fit in fine, and their vocals are manly and unremarkable. More impressive is the growth in song-writing the women show. Stevie Nicks's last solo album had enough moments of grown-up honesty to forgive her juniorgrade mysticism. On this album, all of her tunes sound thought out and still rock hard, especially "Love Is Dangerous," a funky romp that keeps the imagery to a bare minimum and lets her voice communicate the title's message.

Audiences always expect more from Christine McVie; on Behind the Mask she comes through with sensitivity and style, keeping high hopes grounded on "Skies the Limit," backing off and giving in on "Save Me." But it's the title song that puts Fleetwood's past – both on record and in scandal sheets – in perspective. It catches McVie still reeling, deciding a trip to the moon isn't worth the gas, because "you can make the darkness mean more than it ever did." Not since Rumours has Fleetwood Mac recorded pain so unwaveringly and sounded this together. (RS 579)

ARION BERGER
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for the cool review. I always loved Chris's stuff on that album; the whole thing was pretty good, really.

-Lis
Old 06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting that.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice review! Take that, Lindsey's ego!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember reading this online shortly after I bought BTM . I wholeheartedly agreed then, as I do now...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I always said this from the gitgo- Behind the Mask is truly underrated. I've always liked this album.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
But it's the title song that puts Fleetwood's past – both on record and in scandal sheets – in perspective. It catches McVie still reeling, deciding a trip to the moon isn't worth the gas, because "you can make the darkness mean more than it ever did."
It's nice to see that song getting some recognition. It's one of Christine's very best, in my opinion.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
What's really funny, though, is that the addition of Rick Vito and Billy Burnette is the best thing to ever happen to Fleetwood Mac.

I AM VINDICATED, AT LAST!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It's nice to see that song getting some recognition. It's one of Christine's very best, in my opinion.
I agree. "Behind The Mask" such a cool song, so dark & mysterious...so un-Christine like.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
I always said this from the gitgo- Behind the Mask is truly underrated. I've always liked this album.
So have I. I probably listen to this one all the way through almost as much as Tusk.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
So have I. I probably listen to this one all the way through almost as much as Tusk.
I like the overall vibe on Mask & a lot of the songs (although some of the songs, like Stand on the Rock, do the Fleetwood Mac legacy a disservice by being nothing but repositories of every last arena rock cliche -- something that Mac was always so refreshingly NOT). I also don't like Stevie Nicks's singing at this stage of her life: her enervation is all too evident. But the main issue I have with Mask is the engineering/production. That, too, does no service to Fleetwood Mac's legacy from the '70s & '80s. (We generally don't talk about the engineering & production of the '60s albums because it just isn't germane to the their glories.)

Christine McVie provides the highest of the high points on Mask. But then she usually does on other albums, too, although Stevie's "Second Time" is beautiful. I was lucky enough to hear "When the Sun Goes Down" live a couple of times on this tour.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
. I was lucky enough to hear "When the Sun Goes Down" live a couple of times on this tour.
I can't remember if they played that at Red Rocks or not. When The Sun Goes Down is a classic rockabilly (pardon the pun) tune and a nice departure for Fleetwood Mac.
BTM was the first album to be released into the CD age, no? Perhaps that's why the production suffers a bit? Is it possible that whomever they were working with (Ladanyi?) hadn't fully mastered the intracacies of digital recording?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Am I the only one who likes Stand on the Rock?

I really love this album!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover
Am I the only one who likes Stand on the Rock?

I really love this album!
No. I like it alright. It went over well at Red Rocks too.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I never heard good things about this album. There are songs I really love on this album ( and ones I hate) but the good songs to me were really good and they were right...steady.

Cool.