The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not 2020 films, but what I've watched during the lockdown so far...

Death of Stalin, Two Popes, Lost in Translation, Straight Up, The Green Book, Marriage Story, Only You, Joker, Roma, Bohemian Rhapsody, Blinded by the Light, Berlin I Love You, Boyhood, The Babadook, Incendies, Knives Out, Jumanji: The Next Level, Peanut Butter Falcon, Thoroughbreds, Nightcrawler, Leave No Trace, The Big Short, The Favourite, Captain Fantastic, The Great Gatsby, Begin Again, A Monster Calls, At Eternity's Gate, My Life As a Courgette, The Meyerowitz Stories, Love Marriage Repeat, Iam Dolomite, Julie & Julia, Pain & Glory, Stranger Than Fiction, Thunder Road, Zathura: A Space Adventure, The Bookshop.

A few new films. A few recent films. A few I always meant to watch but never got around to. A couple I've seen before but wanted to watch again.

I'd recommend;
Incendies: Powerful with a genuine o.m.g. moment- though it does rely on a couple of huge coincidences so you have to suspend disbelief.
Marriage Story: Adam Driver just became my favourite actor.
The Babadook: Really clever and thought provoking.
Leave No Trace: Engaging.
Captain Fantastic: An interesting and beautiful film.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-29-2020, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

6. The New Mutants, grade C+ = this is not a bad movie iat all but it’s not really that good. The plot happens too fast and they just don’t invest enough time with the characters. There are some nice elements and the acting is pretty good, but it just feels empty. Still it has some decent moments and is not a complete waste of time. It is also nice seeing a new group of mutants with new powers on the screen.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Not 2020 films, but what I've watched during the lockdown so far...

Death of Stalin, Two Popes, Lost in Translation, Straight Up, The Green Book, Marriage Story, Only You, Joker, Roma, Bohemian Rhapsody, Blinded by the Light, Berlin I Love You, Boyhood, The Babadook, Incendies, Knives Out, Jumanji: The Next Level, Peanut Butter Falcon, Thoroughbreds, Nightcrawler, Leave No Trace, The Big Short, The Favourite, Captain Fantastic, The Great Gatsby, Begin Again, A Monster Calls, At Eternity's Gate, My Life As a Courgette, The Meyerowitz Stories, Love Marriage Repeat, Iam Dolomite, Julie & Julia, Pain & Glory, Stranger Than Fiction, Thunder Road, Zathura: A Space Adventure, The Bookshop.

A few new films. A few recent films. A few I always meant to watch but never got around to. A couple I've seen before but wanted to watch again.

I'd recommend;
Incendies: Powerful with a genuine o.m.g. moment- though it does rely on a couple of huge coincidences so you have to suspend disbelief.
Marriage Story: Adam Driver just became my favourite actor.
The Babadook: Really clever and thought provoking.
Leave No Trace: Engaging.
Captain Fantastic: An interesting and beautiful film.
Incendies: i guessed the twist when they met with the lawyer at the beginning but the movie runs deeper than its shocking gimmick — it’s radical empathy (as good is Villeneuve’s Polytechnique about a real-life school shooting in Montreal — it’s Guernica cinema)

My Life as a Cucumber: A perfect film.

Pain & Glory: I remain moved by its primal scene — the definitive expression of gay desire’s essential innocence; Almodovar’s masterpiece?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-09-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Old 09-09-2020, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

My Life as a Cucumber: A perfect film.
My Life as a Zucchini in the US, My Life as a Courgette in most other places (I believe).
...watched this with my 7 year old daughter and we both loved it. Thankfully some of the adult themes went over her head.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-27-2020, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

6. Wonder Woman 1984, grade C+ = the movie is sort of a mess. There are two villains, including Cheetah, who is treated like a sideline character in my opinion. The theme of the movie is “Be careful what you wish for,” which has been done to death in other movies. It’s too long and some of it just doesn’t make sense. However, it does have some visually stunning moments, including one when Wonder Woman learns to fly. I was disappointed.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
6. Wonder Woman 1984, grade C+ = the movie is sort of a mess. There are two villains, including Cheetah, who is treated like a sideline character in my opinion. The theme of the movie is “Be careful what you wish for,” which has been done to death in other movies. It’s too long and some of it just doesn’t make sense. However, it does have some visually stunning moments, including one when Wonder Woman learns to fly. I was disappointed.
Ahh you are back to your movie reviews. I am so thankful that theaters are open again. I did notice that the new Wonder Woman sold out every showtime at the theaters in my area. Hopefully good sales performance like that will encourage the studios to release more of the new movies they have been sitting on.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

#TheNineWorthies - The 9 Best Movies of 2020
1. Straight Up (James Sweeney)
2. On a Magical Night (Christophe Honoré)
3. The New King of Comedy (Stephen Chow)
4. True History of the Kelly Gang (Justin Kurzel)
5. Joan of Arc (Bruno Dumont)
6. Corpus Christi (Jan Komasa)
7. The Traitor (Marco Bellocchio)
8. An Imperfect Murder (James Toback)
9. Capone (Josh Trank)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.