Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default How'd you find this place?

I've been here for one year as of today.
(You remember, There goes the neighborhood!)

I suspect I followed the Nicksfix link to The Penguin, or perhaps I was searching for song lyrics. I really don't remember.
It's like that mediocre movie said: "I don't know who met who first, or who fell in love with who first..."

Anyway what's the story behind your arrival? How'd you get here? Where do Ledgies come from, Mommy?

- Jake
Old 03-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: How'd you find this place?

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Anyway what's the story behind your arrival? How'd you get here? Where do Ledgies come from, Mommy?
I knew about the Penguin already. Marty told me about this forum. In the beginning -- would you believe? -- there were only about twenty or thirty people posting! And we thought that was crowded.

The forum used to use a Matt Wright script that was popular for message boards for a long time, & it was neat because thread headers were hierarchically organized so that the headers themselves created a sort of conversation or dialog. We used to play little word games with the headers.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm pretty sure it was through the Nicksfix. Plus, it was right before the current tour and I wanted to find out more info!!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

God I have been on here a long time.

In summer 1997, I got the Dance and wanted to come on here because I wanted to talk about the album and the show I saw at Camden. When I saw other people went I was really excited and started posting right away.

Marty and crew were so welcoming, we started writing stories and having such a good time. It was so much smaller then and fun too! Even all the crazy fights!

But really, I just wanted to connect to other fans. I was sooooo obsessed and it was so great to find others who were as well, especially those romantics like me...boy that was a LONG time ago!!!

6 and a half years later, they still remain! I can't imagine being on the computer without these boards to visit and post on!!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I found it...

by accident, Simple as that.

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like Janet, I came here back in the day (you and I were such nerds...lol). I had finally gotten the internet and the first thing I looked up was Fleetwood Mac on yahoo which directed me to The Penguin.

Years and many friends, many fights later, here I am. I can't imagine having never met Sarah, Ali, Meredith...people whom I consider to be three of my best friends...not to mention those that used to post here that I still talk to and even those that i've not yet had the chance to meet. So it's always been much more than Fleetwood Mac around these parts However...we are obsessed with Fleetwood Mac....a lot
Old 03-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just remember hearing people talk about The Ledge on other boards I posted on. So, one day I decided to head on over here myself, registered, and bam, I'm an addicted Ledgie . I can't believe that it's been almost a year since I got into the whole Fleetwood Mac fan community, because I started posting on other boards in April of last year. Time goes by pretty fast .
Old 03-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When I first got into the internet in 1998, I had just become interested in the Mac. I found the Penguin and noticed there was a "message board" - something I'd never heard of before, lol. I went to check it out.... and got scared. I didn't understand the way the threads were set up, and I didn't feel like I knew enough to carry on intelligent conversations with anyone, lol. You guys may find this hard to believe, but I'm actually very shy! lol So, I headed for the hills, and didn't sign up.

After I got my master's degree in 2000, I had more time to do some surfing, so I joined some FM-listservs, most of which often referred to "The Ledge." But I hadn't visited it in two years, and my memory of it as a difficult, intimidating place prevented me from trying to go back.

I started my own site in August of 2000, and as the year progressed I began to realize I was just out of the loop and unaware of so much that was going on. Since having a site made me a little braver, I checked out the Ledge and saw, to my astonishment, that it didn't look anything like it did back in 1998. It was a lot more user-friendly. I began to think I might have confused it with something else, lol. I started to visit, to get the latest news, because people around here seemed so well-informed.

But it wasn't until 2001 and TISL came out when I realized that I wanted to be in on the conversations. I bit the bullet and signed up.

The rest is history!

Old 03-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I was at the AHI a couple of years ago..the one with Chris Issak (Isaak?), Sheryl Crow, Don Henley and Lindsey...it was in 2001? I think.

Well my sister, her friend Christie and I were eating at Cooperstown the afternoon of the concert and I glanced across the street and saw a mom and her daughter there like totally decked out in Lindsey gear...so I went over there and struck up some conversation....and they were like, "are you a Ledgie?" and I was like.."What is a Ledgie??" So they told me about this board...and I got home, wrote a review for the NicksFix and then found this place a while later
Old 03-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

A friend of mine signed up for AOL sometime in '96, and when I was visiting her, the first thing we did was look up info on Stevie.
We quickly found the NicksFix, and then eventually we found Penguin, and they became regular stops whenever my friend and I would surf the internet.

So I was here pretty much in the first days after Marty opened The Ledge.... when it was a single board, and, like David said, there were only about 20-30 people.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool Lemme see...

I think I signed up a few Mays ago. I was posting on another board, and didn't like it very much, so I did some searching and found this place. I loved the layout and it was easy to read and navigate. I dipped my toe in and before ya knew it....BAM...I'm an addict with a daily habit.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

lol, I don't even remember when it was that I first found this place. It was sometime after the Dance. I used to borrow my cousin's laptop all the time and would come on and read what everyone had to say. We finally got our own computer in '00 and I lurked for another year and a half before finally getting up the nerve to actually say something myself. I don't post all that much anymore, but I do still visit quite often. It's definitely the most informative place around on the Mac.

~Angela
Old 03-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was using the Penguin for its Discography, Lyrics, and Biographies sections for a few months when I first got online having been a fan for a number of months prior to that. Then at the start of 2002 I began posting on the Ledge after having come to it for the first time and seen a thread about 'Rate TITN' that I really wanted to participate in. I remember that my first few posts where nothing but polls. It was my first message board or anything so I guess I couldn't get over the new toys. I realised that I was probably annoying ppl being a newbie and making so many polls so I posted a poll titled 'Should DownOnRodeo Stop Making Polls'. Who else replied but Christy (wondergirl9847), and assured me that she herself had been a bit poll-crazy when she first joined and not to worry.
Ironically, I only ever came to the ChitChat forum about a year or so ago. Although that was down a lot for maintenance for a while.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Beats me...just a happy little accident I guess.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

I can't remember how I found The Ledge, but I am very glad that I did! The posters are so knowledgeable about all things FM; I learn something new all the time. And I have found other wonderful sites from being here. Thanks to everyone that maintains a site!!!

Also, finding The Ledge makes me feel less weird about being obsessed with FM -- I'm not alone.