Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Chain: Stevie “Takes One for the Team”

So, Stevie Nicks is now saying that her contribution to “The Chain” was an example of her “taking one for the team.” She claims she gave up her beloved song so that Lindsey could feature his brilliant solo. Of course she says she’s “glad she did it”—so maybe that’s something.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/stev...mac-the-chain/

Once again she is highlighting all she sacrificed for “her band.” We never hear Christine complain that her song “Keep Me There” was sacrificed for the sake of Lindsey’s vision. Instrumentally, the final version of “The Chain” is heavily dependent on the McVie’s original backing track, but whenever she speaks of the song she highlights the collaborative way in which the song came into being.

I’m not minimizing Stevie’s contribution to the song, which is enormous, but I am tired of her doing these little PR-driven interviews where she positions herself as a martyr for the FM cause. It’s exhausting.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 11-19-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Old 11-19-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
So, Stevie Nicks is now saying that her contribution to “The Chain” was an example of her “taking one for the team.” She claims she gave up her beloved song so that Lindsey could feature his brilliant solo. Of course she says she’s “glad she did it”—so maybe that’s something.

Once again she is highlighting all she sacrificed for “her band.” We never hear Christine complain that her song “Keep Me There” was sacrificed for the sake of Lindsey’s vision. Instrumentally, the final version of “The Chain” is heavily dependent on the McVie’s original backing track, but whenever she speaks of the song she highlights the collaborative way in which the song came into being.

I’m not minimizing Stevie’s contribution to the song, which is enormous, but I am tired of her doing these little PR-driven interviews where she positions herself as a martyr for the FM cause. It’s exhausting.

What a big surprise. I thought for sure she was give up her amazing compositional skills without letting anyone know. I can't believe this!!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

informative discussion in the thread here https://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showp...YoI3eIlzLlMLeo

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-19-2020, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
informative discussion in the thread here https://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showp...YoI3eIlzLlMLeo
great link, elle.

the description there matches Stevie's original description of her contribution from the late 70s/very early 80s (Tusk era) interviews. And is certainly consistent with the working versions of Butter Cookie/Keep Me There we've since seen released.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie literally could have re written new lyrics to her beloved song. Which did become that song form pratical magic. Think of her originial melody and the pacing. Even I could write lyyrics to that and I'm no lyric writer. SHE.IS.THE.WORST....and continues to get worser as the days go by. UGH
Old 11-20-2020, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Thanks for reposting. I enjoyed that original discussion thread. One thing not noted in that old post is that LB reworked the music of the verses from the chord structure of Christine’s verses in “Keep Me There.” So it’s not just the music of the chorus that she contributes to the finished “Chain”; she essentially co-wrote the verse music, too.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 11-20-2020 at 12:52 AM..
Old 11-20-2020, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for reposting. I enjoyed that original discussion thread. One thing not noted in that old post is that LB reworked the music of the verses from the chord structure of Christine’s verses in “Keep Me There.” So it’s not just the music of the chorus that she contributes to the finished “Chain”; she essentially co-wrote the verse music, too.
If you play Keep me there, you can sing Stevie's lyrics over Christines part that was already recorded. Christine wrote the music. Stevie contributed a few lines and acts like the bulk of the songs is hers. UGH
Old 11-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
If you play Keep me there, you can sing Stevie's lyrics over Christines part that was already recorded. Christine wrote the music. Stevie contributed a few lines and acts like the bulk of the songs is hers. UGH
Exactly. And while LB clearly reworked the music for the verses, he kept all of the original chord structure.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Exactly. And while LB clearly reworked the music for the verses, he kept all of the original chord structure.
You mean Stevie didn't re-work her parts that she contributed to make this all work?
Old 11-20-2020, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You mean Stevie didn't re-work her parts that she contributed to make this all work?
No, she just sacrificed and sacrificed and dragged her hair shirt along the Persian carpet.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
No, she just sacrificed and sacrificed and dragged her hair shirt along the Persian carpet.
It's a wonder Lindsey and Christine were able to get by without her.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:24 AM
Ledgie

My opinion of Stevie keeps going lower and lower whilst her ego gets bigger and bigger.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I guess so. I don't remember exactly, but it was just about her being full of herself. I wish I knew why as well.
It's a Mystery To Me.

Edit- I remember that I used a phrase that my grandma(who would be 93 now) always used to say, about someone's rear end and buttermilk. Grandma was bad. Very bad. I miss her.
I can’t remember what you said, so it couldn’t have been too bad(for you)
But I did have pursed lips and took a sharp intake of breath when I read it...hahaha..
I don’t care anyway.. I’m having that British delicacy...Egg and homemade proper chips for dinner !!

Last edited by sue; 11-21-2020 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: With bread and butter to make a chip sandwich on the side.....
Old 11-21-2020, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I would think Karen gets paid enough to fact check her from time to time....prevent her from sounding like a babbling loon???
Old 11-24-2020, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

David,

I don't think your original post was deleted. I don't recall deleting a post regarding buttermilk and Stevie's bottom. But please don't fill up a thread with queries about why your post was deleted. That's not going to serve any purpose.