The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Buckingham Nicks (Flat master tape transfer)

As most of you know, the Buckingham Nicks album has never been released on CD or official download. I though the only way to listen to this album was either by playing the vinyl or downloading/making a vinyl transfer. However, I have been made aware that there is a flat transfer of the master tapes circulating on the internet, which are in the FLAC format (uncompressed). Today, thanks to a very kind person I was given these files and they sound fantastic! No more vinyl crackles or pop. It sounds just like a CD release. I don't know how these files got into the public domain, but I'm so glad they did. Now, I can delete my old vinyl rip. Has anybody else on this forum heard about the flat master tape transfer of Buckingham Nicks circulating?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
As most of you know, the Buckingham Nicks album has never been released on CD or official download. I though the only way to listen to this album was either by playing the vinyl or downloading/making a vinyl transfer. However, I have been made aware that there is a flat transfer of the master tapes circulating on the internet, which are in the FLAC format (uncompressed). Today, thanks to a very kind person I was given these files and they sound fantastic! No more vinyl crackles or pop. It sounds just like a CD release. I don't know how these files got into the public domain, but I'm so glad they did. Now, I can delete my old vinyl rip. Has anybody else on this forum heard about the flat master tape transfer of Buckingham Nicks circulating?
You'd be better getting the mods to move this to the Rumours era board as most people on this board usually hold up a crucifix when Nicks is mentioned!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
You'd be better getting the mods to move this to the Rumours era board as most people on this board usually hold up a crucifix when Nicks is mentioned!
But this album was pre-Rumours, although I realise she didn't join FM until 1974/75 and the Buckingham Nicks album was 1973.

Last edited by Andrew Smith; 01-26-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I haven't heard of the master tapes copy, Andrew, but someone with the username DLedin did a needle-drop of the album that's been circulating in FLAC. It's a revelation -- a full-bodied sound, and the absolute clearest I've ever heard the album (and I own two vinyl copies!).

I really can't imagine an official CD release sounding better -- although I'll still purchase an official release, of course.

At any rate, thank you for the heads up. I'll have to seek this out and compare it to the needle-drop.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I haven't heard of the master tapes copy, Andrew, but someone with the username DLedin did a needle-drop of the album that's been circulating in FLAC. It's a revelation -- a full-bodied sound, and the absolute clearest I've ever heard the album (and I own two vinyl copies!).

I really can't imagine an official CD release sounding better -- although I'll still purchase an official release, of course.

At any rate, thank you for the heads up. I'll have to seek this out and compare it to the needle-drop.
Trust me, when you here a copy of the master tapes you will hear things you didn't hear on vinyl. The sound is so clean and represents the master tape alot better than the vinyl. You have to hear it to understand what I mean.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Trust me, when you here a copy of the master tapes you will hear things you didn't hear on vinyl. The sound is so clean and represents the master tape alot better than the vinyl. You have to hear it to understand what I mean.
I have come across various downloads of the album..with different quality levels of course. The most recent I have downloaded I beleive sounds pretty crisp and clear. However I'm not that technically versed in the difference between a master tape/flat master tape, etc.

Would anyone mind posting the flat master tape downloads if you have it? I'm curious to see the differences if that's not what I currently have.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have just been given FLAC files from a CD titled Buckingam Nicks - The Beginning that was supposedly created from the flat transfer tape, so 44.1/16 and not the 96/24 the original rip was available as.

I've just done a comparison between Crystal on this and on the Galemark needledrop which I always thought was very good, and the difference is like night and day.

On The Beginning version the bass is is cleaner and less boomy, and the cor anglais (or whatever the wind instrument is) is just glorious!
Old 02-13-2021, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gotta love when post like this boast about the quality of files but then don't share or even provide a link to the files. This site used to be about sharing content with other fans and now it nothing more than endless debating from people who sound like they were actually there with the band and carefully documented everything that happened throughout their career.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
Gotta love when post like this boast about the quality of files but then don't share or even provide a link to the files. This site used to be about sharing content with other fans and now it nothing more than endless debating from people who sound like they were actually there with the band and carefully documented everything that happened throughout their career.
"Please" works as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1alX...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-14-2021, 05:44 PM
Junior Ledgie

Listening now. This is the BEST I have ever heard BN sound. It sounds so warm and clear! Thank you!
Old 02-14-2021, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
The perfect response to an asinine comment. God I love Australians.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:02 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
This is a treasure, thank you very much for sharing
Old 02-16-2021, 05:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

mega thanks for the upload! Sounds so startlingly clear.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
mega thanks for the upload! Sounds so startlingly clear.
Ditto! Much appreciated!