Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ok

I enjoyed my cup (cups) of coffee this morning rewatching both the "Black Magic Woman" and "Free Fallin'" videos multiple times and I have to say, I was impressed with how good they sounded. I need more videos, especially the complete "Storms", "Isn't It Midnight?" "Hypnotized" and "All Over Again".

Do I wish Lindsey was still in the band? Absolutely! But I have to say I've enjoyed what I've heard with these two songs. And the setlist is definitely an improvement from previous tours.

Need more videos and more coffee!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie’s vocal on BMW was cool but it gets incredibly boring...

Last edited by AliceLover; 10-04-2018 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Honestly I wish they'd drop it and do another pre 1975 or deep cut.
Agree. Also, I may be in the minority, but they never need to waste another song slot on Don't Stop on my account.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Oh Come On! They certainly did play a different set list both in song choice and running order.

I don' t like how the band chose to separate from Lindsey, I don't think it enhances their legacy or creates a proper closing chapter. Enjoyment of music is subjective, I don't particularly care for how this incarnation of Fleetwood Mac sounds as Finn and Campbell are talented but their strengths don't play well within the 75 and on Fleetwood Mac catalog. That said, they are professional, they have created an initial set list that surprises me in range of choices and the number of Lindsey tracks. There is almost as many Lindsey writes / cowrites in the set as there are Stevie.

My choice to not spend money on this version of Fleetwood Mac, but I am not going to say that they are not producing a professional show and that show will no doubt get tighter as the tour goes on and they find better sync with each other.

It will be interesting to see the some broader feedback and band press output. These first two shows, while not sold out, sold well enough. The 3rd-5th shows have not been commercial successes.

Enjoy the show for those of you going! Let's not create red herring arguments about set lists and poor production choices and arrangements, I think they are on track there. It comes down to personal taste and that is always subjective.
Are you sure about that? The Tulsa World review above stated it was a sold out show.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Are we just agreeing to ignore the total butchering of the Free Falling lyrics?

Not much of a tribute when you don't nail the lyrics.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Are you sure about that? The Tulsa World review above stated it was a sold out show.
On Ticketmaster yesterday it was not sold out.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands of time View Post
Complain, complain, complain. Whine, whine, whine.
No I just want them to be true to Lindsey's legacy.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I enjoyed my cup (cups) of coffee this morning rewatching both the "Black Magic Woman" and "Free Fallin'" videos multiple times and I have to say, I was impressed with how good they sounded. I need more videos, especially the complete "Storms", "Isn't It Midnight?" "Hypnotized" and "All Over Again".

Do I wish Lindsey was still in the band? Absolutely! But I have to say I've enjoyed what I've heard with these two songs. And the setlist is definitely an improvement from previous tours.

Need more videos and more coffee!
Definitely. Want more!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Agree. Also, I may be in the minority, but they never need to waste another song slot on Don't Stop on my account.
If we're going to play deep cuts and the blues then let's gooo! Campbell sounds killer on Oh Well and BMW. More please.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali101 View Post
https://www.tulsaworld.com/photovide...c78989089.html

https://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/mus...e8e6f92c6.html

One year and one day after the loss of gone-to-soon Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac launched a new North American tour and unveiled a new roster at Tulsa’s BOK Center.

The additions, who came aboard following the departure of Lindsey Buckingham, are Mike Campbell, former guitarist of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Neil Finn, vocalist for Crowded House and Split Enz.

“I can’t tell you how much it means to us that you are all here tonight to share this with us,” Campbell told a sold-out crowd.

Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood was asked in a pre-concert interview if the set list would include any Crowded House or Petty songs, or whether there might be a tribute to Petty.

“I can attest that there will be,” Fleetwood said.

Fleetwood didn’t want to cite specific songs — why ruin the surprise? — but answers came when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band, no stranger to personnel changes, began a new chapter Wednesday night.

The Petty tribute, an emotional highlight of the show, came during the encore. The first song of the encore was Petty’s “Free Fallin’” with vocals provided by Stevie Nicks, a longtime Petty friend. Images of Petty were shown on a screen behind the stage as Fleetwood Mac performed the song. Judging by the number of mobile phones held high, it was the most video-ed moment of the night.

Two songs from Finn’s ouevre were on the set list, including “I Got You” (the highest-charting Split Enz single in the U.S.) and “Don’t Dream It’s Over” (Crowded House’s biggest hit, it went to No. 2 in 1986). Nicks contributed vocal help on both songs.

Immediately before Finn sang “Don’t Dream It’s Over,” Fleetwood said this: “Many years ago I heard this beautiful song and, for me, it opened many doors in my heart, so this all eventually led to this lovely gentleman sharing the stage with us in Fleetwood Mac, so make him really welcome as he sings this most beautiful song.”

The new kids and the Fleetwood Mac vets — Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie and Nicks — played for almost two and a half hours and, perhaps feeling adventuresome in the wake of a lineup change, detoured to some interesting places.

Almost half (11 of 24 songs) of the set was mined from a self-titled 1975 album and the 1977 juggernaut “Rumours.”

But the first hint Fleetwood Mac was going to dig deep came six songs into the show, when Nicks handled vocal chores on “Black Magic Woman.” Written by former member Peter Green, “Black Magic Woman” was recorded by Fleetwood Mac in the twilight of the 1960s. The song became a hit for Santana in 1970.

Also on the set list: “Tell Me All the Things You Do” from the 1970 album “Kiln House,” the Bob Welch-penned “Hypnotized” from the 1973 album “Mystery to Me” and “Oh Well,” which was sang Wednesday night by Campbell and was originally recorded by Fleetwood Mac in 1969. (For context’s sake, consider that Nicks and Buckingham didn’t record with the band until 1975.)

Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac parted company in April. Do you really want a band with so many great songs to call it quits just because a key member is no longer part of the squad? Of course not.

Wanting to forge ahead, Fleetwood Mac took the hydra approach (lose one head; two will take its place) and announced a new tour.

At 8:14 p.m. Wednesday, when the new incarnation of the band took the stage, Fleetwood flashed a smile that was captured on the video screen. He and his band mates opened with “The Chain,” which has history as a show-starter and gave curious audience members a chance to immediately hear Finn at the microphone. The song didn’t match completely the version stuck in your brain from decades of hearing it, but Finn sounded like a natural fit in songs like “Go Your Own Way” and “Second Hand News.”

Introducing himself, Finn said, “My name is Neil and it’s a huge honor to be with you tonight with this magnificent band.”

A New Zealander, Finn also said this: “I would like to do a big shout-out to another fellow countryman who works just down the road, Mr. Steven Adams for the Oklahoma (City) Thunder. (He’s) the toughest guy in the league. I’m not even in the toughest person in Fleetwood Mac. I think that’s Stevie.”

Early in the show, Campbell looked at his new band mates and smiled. Nobody seemed to have more fun that Fleetwood, especially during a drum solo bookend-ed by the start and finish of “World Turning.” He introduced the rest of the band afterward and said it was a joy and privilege to welcome the new members.

Sometimes the whole cheer-for-an-encore thing feels too staged or expected, but the audience reaction (mobile phones illuminated, continuous roaring) suggested the crowd absolutely wanted more Fleetwood Mac, and that’s what they got when the anticipated Petty tribute arrived and was followed by two other songs — “Don’t Stop” and “All Over Again,” a song that Christine McVie said was about change.

A big change happened in the ranks of Fleetwood Mac. But here's the takeaway: The tour launch didn’t feel like you were watching/hearing something less than Fleetwood Mac.
Uh oh. Another good review?
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l2JIk0sWj9sUvbvCU" width="480" height="271" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/warnerarchive-a-mighty-wind-l2JIk0sWj9sUvbvCU">via GIPHY</a></p>
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rhiannon:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L8y5hnrDcxQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Uh oh. Another good review?
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l2JIk0sWj9sUvbvCU" width="480" height="271" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/warnerarchive-a-mighty-wind-l2JIk0sWj9sUvbvCU">via GIPHY</a></p>
He didn’t call it quits. He was fired. Being a Stevie fanatic I’m not surprised at your glee. This is a total sham though. Cash grab!!!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They way she stood there and looked at Tom on the screen at the end... I almost cried.
But Meanwhile ignore the man who put her in that freaking band this is disgusting. It’s sad that you have no problem with the fact that she has made this her band.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:32 AM
kak125
This message has been deleted by kak125.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
He didn’t call it quits. He was fired. Being a Stevie fanatic I’m not surprised at your glee. This is a total sham though. Cash grab!!!
I understand your pain. But today is a day of celebration for a wonderful show. Let's not forget how much we love the other four. You don't want to be remembered as a complainer, do ya?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
The review doesn’t say LB called it quits. It’s talking about the band as a whole calling it quits after a key member is gone. Try again!

You are hilarious. The same folks that say “cash grab” would find ways to be upset even if there WAS new music and even if Lindsey was still in the band. Instead it would be about Stevie’s writing sucking or her voice and range and clothes and weight or something slut-shaming.