The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

I assumed they meant Rhiannon and that's why the started talking to Stevie first. OMH sounds like a single not a song that would become a single.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I feel the reason Stevie is so low key in those early interviews was because she was still the "new kid in town," still adjusting the sudden public profile, and her role in the band dynamic. Soon, as she became popular, and established herself as a significant force in band, she became far more dominant and outspoken.
Yes, she definitely didn't feel she had the power then that she clearly knows she has now.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick mentioned that Stevie felt insecure after the White album debuted, because she knew the band hadn't wanted her in the first place and she still wasn't sure of her standing and he pointed out to her that her vocals were very good on OMH and he felt they contributed to its success and, oh hey, Rhiannon and Landslide weren't bad.

Michele
Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Mick mentioned that Stevie felt insecure after the White album debuted, because she knew the band hadn't wanted her in the first place and she still wasn't sure of her standing and he pointed out to her that her vocals were very good on OMH and he felt they contributed to its success and, oh hey, Rhiannon and Landslide weren't bad.
The thing that has always bugged me about that whole "they only wanted Lindsey" thing is that it makes it sound as if she joined Fleetwood Mac against the band's will. It's not that they didn't WANT her. They wanted Lindsey for his guitar playing but didn't know the situation. Once they knew, they were fine with having Stevie in the band. I think she was over-thinging things.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice find. The clothes are a hoot, but Stevie's top half looks a bit disheveled & sloppy. Not very glamorous for the future Queen of R&R.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
Was Stevie even on the album version of OMH? I certainly can't hear her. Perhaps Mick was referring to the live performance?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The thing that has always bugged me about that whole "they only wanted Lindsey" thing is that it makes it sound as if she joined Fleetwood Mac against the band's will. It's not that they didn't WANT her. They wanted Lindsey for his guitar playing but didn't know the situation. Once they knew, they were fine with having Stevie in the band. I think she was over-thinging things.

It's never been about the band not wanting her, it's just that they weren't looking for her! They found a guitar player they wanted and needed, and Stevie just came with the package. She was an unexpected surprise, but when they heard the vocal harmonies the three voices could create, it was easy to accept Stevie.

Christine said she liked that she wasn't the only girl in the band anymore, and it sort of balanced the equation of guys and the girls. Stevie also brought a sexual appeal, and Christine was happy about it, since it deflected the media focus off her in that manner. Christine never sought or wanted that kind of attention. The infamous reply Christine gave when a reporter asked her what it was like to be a sex symbol in the rock world, she said "I don't know, ask Stevie."

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-18-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I would imagine that Stevie's fixation on "they only wanted Lindsey" came from perhaps: ............
Excerpts from various arguments heard outside hotel rooms circa 1975-77:

".....You don't want to be my wife, you don't want to be my girlfriend..........."

" You wouldn't even be in a band if it wasn't for me. I'm the one they wanted, they would of never have asked you to join if I hadn't insisted on it."

The identity of the male voice has not been verified but is somewhat high-pitched and condescending in nature some would say cyclic in overall dictation and tone.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You guys are gonna LOVE this!

I would guess it is Rhiannon that became the unexpected hit single they are talking about here. Did you notice how Mick points to his nose when telling the reporter how they have the energy to keep going at such a grueling pace?
I viewed that more as Mick pointing to the dark circles around his tired looking eyes......of course, I could be wrong.....Thanks to overdocumented accounts, we all know what the band was doing to tap into "energy". I just didn't view that clip as Mick pointing to his nose.....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I viewed that more as Mick pointing to the dark circles around his tired looking eyes......of course, I could be wrong.....Thanks to overdocumented accounts, we all know what the band was doing to tap into "energy". I just didn't view that clip as Mick pointing to his nose.....
No, I didn't view it as a sly reference to snorting either.

Michele
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This Rolling Stone excerpt from 1977 talks about that time period:

"The newest members of the band were happy with the album, but Stevie Nicks went through an anxious period of self-doubt. She can quote entire passages from a review in Rolling Stone that, she says, almost caused her to quit. "They said my singing was 'callow' and that really hurt my feelings." She began to think that maybe she wasn't that good, and that she had been asked into the band only because she was with Buckingham. "Time after time I would read: '...the raucous voice of Stevie Nicks and the golden-throated voice of Christine McVie, who's the only saving grace of the band.' When it comes to competition, I won't compete for a man and I won't compete for a place on that stage either. If I'm not wanted, I'll get out. I was bummed."

But the bum didn't last long: Fleetwood Mac immediately became a gold album and Christine's ethereal song, "Over my head," broke big in both pop and easy-listening radio. Nicks, who'd done harmonies on the track, felt better. And when "Rhiannon" found an even bigger audience, with its mainstream rock and roll getting both AM and FM airplay, she forgot all about quitting."