Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
The thing that strikes me the most odd and still baffles me to this day is why Lindsey never released his next solo album until 1993. He says in one of those articles he intended to release a solo record in 1988. I wonder what he was doing in all that time?
I remember waiting and waiting and waiting... Maybe, because Tango took a lot of his songs.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 AM

I remember after Tango In The Night how Lindsey would always say things to the effect of: (paraphrasing) "I know it would be very lucrative, but I don't want to go out on the road." "I'm not keen on the road, anymore."

And it irked me because he left the band and then got butt hurt that Christine didn't want to continue to tour or be out on the road.

I think when he came back and saw how the Dance did so well, he was gung ho again. He got the break he needed.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I have said this many times before, but I really wish Lindsey did the Tango tour. We might have gotten a really cool full band version of Big Love, maybe Tango In The Night, the song, would have been performed live too. That would have been an awesome instrumental. I love Family Man, I don't think they would have done that song live, but it would have been interesting to hear if they did. I also think that Hold Me would have been on the set if Lindsey was there and it wouldn't have become a forgotten hit. It's a shame Fleetwood Mac only performed Hold Me at like 20 shows.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

We can dream but I don't think it was realistic for this group to function during the mid 80's. Stevie was so out of control that her good friend and producer Jimmy Iovine walked away mid-production. That's pretty bad. In a 1991 interview Stevie said for awhile she was so out of control that she did not even see her parents because they thought she was crazy and lost her mind so she just stayed away. When you are addicted to coke, all you think about is your next line. You don't care about your family, friends, or career. Mick was out of control too but not as visible as Stevie. I don't blame Lindsey for not wanting to be around people like that. I don't think they could have recorded anything during this time and if they did, the band probably would have broken up.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We can dream but I don't think it was realistic for this group to function during the mid 80's. Stevie was so out of control that her good friend and producer Jimmy Iovine walked away mid-production. That's pretty bad. In a 1991 interview Stevie said for awhile she was so out of control that she did not even see her parents because they thought she was crazy and lost her mind so she just stayed away. When you are addicted to coke, all you think about is your next line. You don't care about your family, friends, or career. Mick was out of control too but not as visible as Stevie. I don't blame Lindsey for not wanting to be around people like that. I don't think they could have recorded anything during this time and if they did, the band probably would have broken up.

But didn't they start working on Tango in 1985?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Lindsey was pretty out of control too, if I remember well the alleged abusive behavior during his relationship with Carol Ann reached the peak during the early eighties.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Lindsey was pretty out of control too, if I remember well the alleged abusive behavior during his relationship with Carol Ann reached the peak during the early eighties.
Only Stevie was out of control. The other four members were like well behaved school children.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
For starters, he played all the instruments himself, and produced "Go Insane" without longtime Mac producer and close friend Richard Dashut, who was "completely burnt out" from working on Fleetwood's last project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfTheDragon View Post
I didn't know that Richard was "completely burnt out" after Mirage. I don't remember reading anything to that effect on his blog. Interesting.
Ah, but it was not Dashut who helped produce Go Insane, it was Gordon Fordyce.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Rolling Stone on Lindsey's uniform in 1984

Lindsey's assessment of his lyrics matches Stevie's, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
Ah, but it was not Dashut who helped produce Go Insane, it was Gordon Fordyce.
And I never knew why that was. Wasn't sure if LB wanted a different collaborator for a change of pace (though he returned to working with Dashut soon after), or if Dashut had chosen not to work on the project for some reason. This is the first I've heard of him being "burnt out" at that time.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
And I never knew why that was. Wasn't sure if LB wanted a different collaborator for a change of pace (though he returned to working with Dashut soon after), or if Dashut had chosen not to work on the project for some reason. This is the first I've heard of him being "burnt out" at that time.
I actually read that quote wrong. I thought it said that Richard did help produce the album. But yeah, I also wonder why he didn't take part. In some weird way, I'm glad he didn't because my favorite Lindsey album is Go Insane, and it may not have turned out as well with Dashut co-producing. Not to knock Richard or anything because Rumours through Tango in the Night, Law & Order and Out of the Cradle all turned out great.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
But didn't they start working on Tango in 1985?
No.
In 1985 Stevie was still trying to scrap together bits and pieces of a fragmented RAL. She went on tour the next spring and summer of 1986 while the Mac went into the studio. Stevie was late to join them in the studio because after the tour she went to rehab. She sent them demos before and during the tour. Tango was almost finished in late 1986 and Stevie was not happy she was barely on the album. She threatened to go to Rolling Stone with an exclusive interview to tell them she had nothing to do with the album. Christine had a few glasses of wine in her and went after Stevie "I wanted you to sing back up on Everywhere but you were not here!" Christine was having none of it. (Source: Mick's book)

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-31-2016 at 03:39 PM..
Old 03-31-2016, 04:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
No.
In 1985 Stevie was still trying to scrap together bits and pieces of a fragmented RAL. She went on tour the next spring and summer of 1986 while the Mac went into the studio. Stevie was late to join them in the studio because after the tour she went to rehab. She sent them demos before and during the tour. Tango was almost finished in late 1986 and Stevie was not happy she was barely on the album. She threatened to go to Rolling Stone with an exclusive interview to tell them she had nothing to do with the album. Christine had a few glasses of wine in her and went after Stevie "I wanted you to sing back up on Everywhere but you were not here!" Christine was having none of it. (Source: Mick's book)
I believe they started working on Tango in 1985. (See this timeline). Christine recorded the Elvis cover "Can't Help Falling In Love" for a movie soundtrack, she brought in Lindsey to co-produce the track, and that started the ball rolling.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I believe they started working on Tango in 1985. (See this timeline). Christine recorded the Elvis cover "Can't Help Falling In Love" for a movie soundtrack, she brought in Lindsey to co-produce the track, and that started the ball rolling.
Ok that timeline says "Late 1985" November, December? Tango started out as a Lindsey solo album. The band may have met to play on Christine's song but Rock A Little was released in November 1985. Stevie had nothing to do with the Mac at that time and was just releasing a solo album. I think John McVie was still in St Thomas too. Working with Christine was definitely a springboard to Tango sessions. The real serious recording happened in 1986. But it surely is possible in late 1985 they met with rough demos and Lindsey showed Mick and Christine what he had been working on.

So I guess you could say 1985

There is a Stevie RAL concert in spring of 1986 where she announces to the audience that Fleetwood Mac just got back together and had a meeting and there would be a new record.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-31-2016 at 07:30 PM..