Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

"Sometimes we analyze" the blue from the skies...

Me? Well I say, let's just "ROCK AWAY BLIND!"

Love the whole and love the part
And, What's more love the heart.....

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal
Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Now, what I've noticed, comparing reactions in the last days is that the song that completely swept me away is forgettable to everyone else. I don't think any of the critical reviews even noticed Gone Too Far was there, yet I was taken aback by its beauty and pain. It's nice to see what's a consensus, but extremely interesting to learn what sounds "universal" to your ears, but which is actually just striking you in a very singular way. It's like hearing a dog whistle very clearly and looking around the room and realizing that no one else did.

Michele
Michele, I admit that I too overlooked GTF at first. But now listening to it, it is such an outstanding piece of work. What stands out to me is LB's voice- the yearning in his voice during the chorus. It's gorgeous. And the words are so touching.

This verse is amazing:

Quote:
When your waiting for your ocean to rise
All alone at night long after I've gone
And your conversations all end in lies
And you wake up singing one of my songs

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Michele, I admit that I too overlooked GTF at first. But now listening to it, it is such an outstanding piece of work. What stands out to me is LB's voice- the yearning in his voice during the chorus. It's gorgeous. And the words are so touching.
yes, i find myself loving it more and more with each listen... love his pronunciation while singing verses of this one (kinda like i loved the way he sang verses on the GOS version of She smiled sweetly). and i love how his voice cracks on "far" in the chorus.

but i still think it's very OOTC-ish and not something completely different or unexpected. IOOT however, with all the different things going on it in parallel, and with that weird guitar in the chorus sounding like firefighters are coming... that's different, quirky, showoff-y, but still with the great hook (or two - in parallel!).
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post

I think Stars Are Crazy is my favourite song today. And to think when I first heard it I just didn't like it. Now I think it's absolutely stunning.
That song is growing on me! I actually probably liked it the least, along with "One Take," but now I am loving them both. SAC is kind of gorgeous, eh? I love the way he sings that first line...ugh, so pretty.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes, i find myself loving it more and more with each listen... love his pronunciation while singing verses of this one (kinda like i loved the way he sang verses on the GOS version of She smiled sweetly). and i love how his voice cracks on "far" in the chorus.

but i still think it's very OOTC-ish and not something completely different or unexpected. IOOT however, with all the different things going on it in parallel, and with that weird guitar in the chorus sounding like firefighters are coming... that's different, quirky, showoff-y, but still with the great hook (or two - in parallel!).
IOOT is my bb. I fell in love with it the very first time I heard it and my love for it has only grown. Amazing song.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
That song is growing on me! I actually probably liked it the least, along with "One Take," but now I am loving them both. SAC is kind of gorgeous, eh? I love the way he sings that first line...ugh, so pretty.
i still like it the least and keep skipping it (i've been scolded by a friend that i'm not giving it a chance ).

i loved One Take from the first time i heard the whole song (didn't like it much after hearing just chorus on previews). once i heard the whole song i thought everything in it hangs together perfectly, including the guitar shred - and that ending is perfect too - that llast line of the song comes down like a hammer ( truefaith). meanwhile i'm not liking it as much as initially, the novelty has worn off a bit i think, so now i'm back to appreciating songs i loved before hearing the whole CD.

and i love love love that guitar solo in electric SWS - i love lindsey's melodic but a bit screaming electric solos in general - this one, LiB version of Eyes of the world outro, RPTF solo toward the end... i could listen to these on loop.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's nice to see what's a consensus, but extremely interesting to learn what sounds "universal" to your ears, but which is actually just striking you in a very singular way. It's like hearing a dog whistle very clearly and looking around the room and realizing that no one else did.
yes, it's definitely interesting reading all these reactions, and everybody seems to pick a completely different song that they love the most or the least. it speaks about the diversity of this album - you have something for everybody's taste it seems, all different types of music LB is good at making - you can choose from rockers, fingerpicking gems, 80s or or 90s-lindsey-sounding songs and then you got some of his typical vocal-layering tracks... stuff we know him by but a little different... he was right when he said that this album represents all different things he's been doing - and they are all nicely hanging together.

reading through today's reviews in this thread i'm also surprised at the impression of some (as a complaint that was expanded to the whole album) that this album is full of Big Love/UTS/TWT style songs - i can count exactly 3 songs (out of 11 - or out of 14 if you want to count extras) that are in that distinctive LB/TWT style of the last decade - SAC, SWS, and RAB. so this type of songs must just jump out and overwhelm some people more than others?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Day two with the album and "Rock Away Blind" is my favorite song on the album. I just love this style of song, I always do. The guitar makes me feel like I'm floating, surrounded by poofy things. I've listened to it many times already and I'm still surprised by it, there are some very specific choices that are very beautiful and moving. I don't know if I'm interpreting the lyrics correctly, but I kind of see this song as a followup to "Underground". It doesn't matter what people say or think of what he does, he's just going to keep doing what feels right and good. Definitely my favorite song on the album at the moment.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Before I say this, I'll point out that I'm not a huge fan of LB's solo work.

Well I've listened to most of the tracks on the album, and I have to say that this album is better than the last two.

I do find with LB's solo stuff that a lot of it sounds the same. I know that the die-hard fans will disagree though.

I'm always disappointed in his solo works, especially because of some of the great stuff he did with FM. I wish he would work with more session musicians, vary up his vocals a bit and not stretch out every second woooorrrrrddddd....

I don't know maybe I'm getting too critical. I've not been excited two of the three releases by FM members (current and past) this year.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
Day two with the album and "Rock Away Blind" is my favorite song on the album. I just love this style of song, I always do. The guitar makes me feel like I'm floating, surrounded by poofy things. I've listened to it many times already and I'm still surprised by it, there are some very specific choices that are very beautiful and moving. I don't know if I'm interpreting the lyrics correctly, but I kind of see this song as a followup to "Underground". It doesn't matter what people say or think of what he does, he's just going to keep doing what feels right and good. Definitely my favorite song on the album at the moment.
Totally Underground. It MIGHT be better but I love the little guitar thingy he does in Underground that he repeats from Love Minus Zero/No Limits. So it's a tie for now. When She Comes Down sounds like Treason, but better.

I can't wait to see Chili's breakdown of each song's derivation!!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-08-2011 at 10:39 AM..
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I can't wait to see Chili's breakdown of each song's derivation!!!!
That's true. I thought Chili was being a little lazy yesterday.

Steve, can't you tell us which song is an exact rip off of Stephanie, ISA, Tango, etc., rather than just making a general retread statement?

Michele
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

This is what I said after hearing just the clips of the songs last week,

"I'm sitting here ... On the first "listen to" from those clips... Oh dear, hear it goes....
I hear nothing from the OOTC sound...
I hear lots of UTS... With percussion, some what...
Love love love UTS! So don't get me wrong... I've spent thousands of dollars to see him....and I've trapped people in my car.. And many other instances... and force them to listen to "my Lindsey mix"... Really you have no idea how my friends dread when I'm in a "Lindsey Mode".. Ok, maybe you do
But, I'm finding Lindsey NOT doing his "thing" with his music that he, himself, gave us Tusk -- which, to this day, every time I listen to it, I hear something new....
And It seems that when Lindsey got wind that we loved how he played "the what he plays", he went hog wild on it - hence the intensive hand shanking right before he plays Big Love - and went with the "machine" of the style.. And he's "stuck in a rut in his hut" . Yes, his lyrics are more fabulous... Yes, I love love love his guitar playin'..... Speaks to my soul.... But I'm kinda feeling deflated that he's giving us "the machine" of what we love... Maybe, that's just where he's at....
For whatever the reason...
In the end... I'll go on the ride... Cuz, it's always worth it
"

Now that I have the actual CD and listening to it on surround and sober....
I still think the same thing... BUT...
This is definitely an album that I'll be listening to a lot. Gone to Far is my fav so far - reminds me a little of Tango in the Night. The album is just gorgeous.

But I'm not going to beat LB up for sounding like himself - his sound is why I like him....
sort of reminds of that story when John Foggerty and CCR had their court battles and CCR accused John's new solo stuff sounded too much like CCR...

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah sometimes artist just can't win if they're adventerous like Lindsey was on Tusk, they get lambasted for not soudling like they were expected to sound like. On the other hand I remember a radio show on AM radio where the DJ played new singles and callers would rate them .He played Gypsy when it was new and quipped "It sounds too Fleetwood Macish"SWS does not displace OOTC for me but it is a fine album with some beautiful moments and even that is a rarity in this day and age.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's true. I thought Chili was being a little lazy yesterday.

Steve, can't you tell us which song is an exact rip off of Stephanie, ISA, Tango, etc., rather than just making a general retread statement?

Michele
Ummm...the title of the thread is "First Impressions". You want that kind of "in-depth response", it ain't comin' from just a "first impression".

That assumes that I WANT to get that deep into these songs and also pretty much demands frequent & multiple listens to the SWS album (as well as the back catalogue material, too). Which after my first impression, I'm not really inclined to play it again for quite some time. (That said, it will most likely be played more often than Stevie's Other Side Of The Mirror album. It took a bit for the official version of Gift Of Screws to grow on me, but at least IT had some songs that I liked on the first listen, SWS didn't)
Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think it's great. Pretty mellow and every original song is catchy and radio friendly. But I do miss rockers like that were on Gift of Screws. The production is a bit different than previous works. Very cleaned up. A song like The Way Love Goes could really rock during the chorus, but it seems as if it's toned down a bit and the guitars are kinda quiet. I like the up tempo stuff like Illumination (could have been a bit longer) and One Take. Don't get me wrong, I love the album and it's all I listen to right now, but nothing is perfect. I do have an issue with the sequencing. I agree with Lindsey that it's very important. When I make a compilation or playlist I make sure the ending of one song works well with the start of another. But he didn't do this one I'm assuming by the liner notes. Anyways, great album... overall it's his second best behind Out of the Cradle.