Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Kiln House

Nothing new or interesting to report. Just reiterating my love for Kiln House. I've been listening to it front-to-back a lot lately and can't get enough of it! So many gems on it.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It took awhile to grow on me, initially I probably only really appreciated Jewel Eyed Judy and the cover drawing. Then One Together, Station Man and Tell Me and finally Mission Bell, Buddy's Song and This Is The Rock began to strike me as clever rather than reminding me of Sha-Na-Na or whatever.

I'd love a reissue with a good transfer of the studio Purple Dancer on it alongside Dragonfly.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked this album immediately, most especially "Station Man" and "Earl Gray", but also "Jewel Eyed Judy", "Mission Bell" and "Blood on the Floor".
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Junior Ledgie

It's the next FM album on my to buy list. Can't wait to here it.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I'd love a reissue with a good transfer of the studio Purple Dancer on it alongside Dragonfly.
I was just about to post that same thing...good thing I read the ENTIRE thread before posting!

I added those two songs to Kiln House album on my iPod, but an OFFICIAL version would make me feel a whole lot less guilty.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking about Kiln House era recordings, does anybody know whether Danny's "Down At The Crown" was ever recorded in a studio (other than BBC) ?
The song is awsome!!

Particularily those Kiln House outtakes (such as Dragonfly and Purple Dancer) have a very special feel to them, which I've heard nowhere else.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dragonfly is one of the band's best tunes of any era. Such fantastic guitar work, too.

There are so many gems from that period that should have made it to record. I think Christine's live in-studio version of Crazy Bout You Baby with the Mac is incredible, as is Danny's Trinity.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I definitely agree about Dragonfly. I was at a garden party once and the guitarist who was providing the entertainment suddenly started playing it. I was rather drunk at the time and had to stop myself shaking his hand then and there (which would have rather interrupted his performance). Everyone looked at me as if I had gone mad.... I would love to get a decent recording of of the original B-side Purple Dancer. I've got the Madison Blues version but the B-side (which I only heard on Youtube for the first time the other day is a bit rockier, a touch more psychedelic. It's the only "official" studio recording of the Danny-Jeremy-Chris-John-Mick lineup as far as I can make out, so I've always thought it's quite important. I really hope it appears on any Rhino re-working of Kiln House
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Both "Dragonfly" & "Purple Dancer" are really the "transition songs" that could just as easily fit on Kiln House or Future Games despite the fairly drastic personnel change between those albums. (and "Purple Dancer", to me, could've also fit somewhere on Then Play On as well, being that it would've been Jeremy's only appearance on TPO, if I'm not mistaken)

Try this short playlist (I'd be interested to hear what you think):

Dragonfly
Morning Rain
Purple Dancer
Future Games

Again, it sets off my "what if" alarm...as "what if they added Bob Welch even if Jeremy hadn't left the band" (granted it is far fetched, but with the above playlist, it could've worked...especially since the live TV version of "Dragonfly" was done by the Future Games/Bare Trees incarnation.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think Christine's live in-studio version of Crazy Bout You Baby with the Mac is incredible, as is Danny's Trinity.
I kept wondering why, on Madison Blues, that there was the parenthetic "Can't Hold Out Much Longer" after "Crazy Bout You Baby" title. I kept thinking that somehow they did a medley with the Elmore James song. But not the case.

Well, come to find out, that lyrically, the Christine sung tune was an old Little Walter song called "Can't Hold Out Much Longer". (hence the original title in parentheses; apparently a publishing company had threatened litigation)

She had just given it a little bit more of the British pop/blues feel, where Little Walter's original version has that more Muddy Waters-esque plodding feel. (it was covered very faithfully to the original arrangement by Eric Clapton on his recent Clapton album)

Typical of blues tunes...the same song can have multiple titles depending on who records them. Like Elmore James' "I Can't Hold Out" has also been recorded by James himself under the titles "Talk To Me Baby" & "Telephone Blues". (not sure if that was a ploy to reap more royalties or not; since most blues artists got stiffed of most of their royalties anyway) Even his most famous song "Dust My Broom" (itself a cover of a Robert Johnson song) had also been recorded under the title "I Believe My Time Ain't Long" (even Fleetwood Mac themselves recorded two versions of the song one under each title)

And, on a personal note, one of my bands plays Danny's "Without You", but the singer in our band never refers to the song by it's official title...he always calls it "Crazy About My Baby". (Irritates me to no end...for the last 7 years!!! )
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Typical of blues tunes...the same song can have multiple titles depending on who records them.
Yes, like Honey Hush/Hi Ho Silver--another favorite of mine no matter what the version.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes, like Honey Hush/Hi Ho Silver--another favorite of mine no matter what the version.
Yep!

Also like how Foghat took Aerosmith's arrangement of "Train Kept A-Rollin'" instrumentally, yet sang "Honey Hush"...for all intents mashing up both sides of Johnny Burnette Trio's single with the original versions of both songs.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliD
Try this short playlist (I'd be interested to hear what you think):

[B
Dragonfly
Morning Rain
Purple Dancer
Future Games[B]
Yep, I think that kind of sums up that spacey period well, if you can imagine that Jeremy and Bob were getting spat out of a revolving door in the studio and ended up cutting tracks out of historic order. I've always had a slight problem with Future Games. I've warmed to it over the years, but I can't help thinking that it needs a bit of editing, somewhere.

Maybe I would top and tail the above four with Station Man (that bit of three-part harmony at the beginning always makes me think it presages the Chain somehow) and Show me a smile. It's the links from Then Play On to Kiln House that can seem the least strong, sometimes.

I'm never sure whether I can hear Christine on keys on Dragonfly. Most sources say no, but I'm not totally convinced. Another of my audio illusions, no doubt.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 06-25-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Old 08-04-2013, 03:16 AM
Ledgie

I was apprehensive to listen to Kiln House at first just because Peter isn't there. Now I wish I had of listened to it sooner, great album. Jewel Eyed Judy is probably in my top top ten FM songs. Also I love the old Rock n Roll songs on the album (Hi Ho Silver, Buddy's Song, This is the Rock) I'm guessing this is what Jeremy brought to the table? They are real highlights also.

Last edited by TheGreenBlues; 08-06-2013 at 05:20 AM..
Old 08-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBlues View Post
I was apprehensive to listen to Kiln House at first just because Peter isn't there.
Didn't Peter once say (when he was still in the band) that he'd be the one to do the next solo album while Danny and Jeremy did the next Fleetwood Mac album (i.e. Jeremy's solo album/TPO), and that there was also going to be a live record (the Boston Tea Party show)?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 08-11-2013 at 11:57 PM..