Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Disk 3

This box set is so amazing. It's easily the best thing fleetwood Mac has ever released. And I say that without any fear of hyperbole or exaggeration. I already considered tusk the best album they ever released. And now I have that same great album, with many alternative versions that are either equal to and very different or just flat out better. And the icing is the incredible live set, which in itself surpass any live set the rumours line up have released. On a side note, I feel there should be an option to just buy the 2 disk live set.

My only complaint over the whole box set is that they should've included the piano version of SOTM. Probably would've went on disk 2 since it's such a raw demo.

But that's a very small complaint. After listening to the alternative tusk of a few days my highlights are Angel, brown Eyes, I know I'm not wrong beautiful child, never forget and the biggest and most pleasant surprise... Never Make Me Cry! What the hell were they thinking there! This album could've been perfect to me all these years but I always considered NMMC the one weak link. But not now, with this version. It's better then songbird! Especially the ooooooo ooooooos in the middle. But even without that, she's singing the whole song like she means it. And the simple piano is way better then whatever weird echoey thing lindsey decided to got with.

I know I'm not wrong from disk 3 is probably my favorite of all the demos. Stevie's vocals are really cool. Walk a thin line was always up there with NMMC as the other song I would occasionally skip, but I love the extra instruments on disk 3. And I don't know if we should even call that's all for everyone an alternative version, it's like a completely different song!

My favorite stevie alternative song is beautiful child, or it's at least the most interesting. A lot of cool instrumentation. It's almost sounding like it's going to turn into a rocker at some points. It's not better then the original, just different. Same with Angel. I love the soft sexy vocal and the slightly different ending.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-31-2015, 01:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Especially the ooooooo ooooooos in the middle.
I love this version of Never Make Me Cry. It's similar to the way she sang it on the Tusk documentary (the scene on the boat, with just her and the keyboard)-- After seeing that, I've always wanted to hear the full song with the original arrangement, so I'm glad they released this one (I love the album version, too-- but in a different way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEQxwiQZuog
Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish they remaster the Tusk docu on DVD for we can retire out muffled, blurry worn out tapes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I wish they remaster the Tusk docu on DVD for we can retire out muffled, blurry worn out tapes.
Praise the Lord above!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I finally listened to the 96/24 stereo mixes on the dvd last night after getting an optical cord to connect the blu ray to the receiver and OMG!

They're basically completely different songs - the clarity of vocals and instruments is that magnificent. Storms, Over and Over, The Ledge, Angel - these really struck me. The one stinker on the disc for me is Sisters of the Moon. The beginning is all...funked up, and a different, in my opinion inferior vocal was used for the first verse.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
This box set is so amazing. It's easily the best thing fleetwood Mac has ever released.
Me agree. It's a marvelous box. Beautifully packaged, too. The whole shebang really transports me back to 1979, sitting on my bedroom carpet listening to my just-released vinyl, looking at all the Peter Beard polaroids and scribbles, calling the telephone numbers (one of the numbers was Seedy Management), and wondering what the words to the songs were.

Quote:
And the icing is the incredible live set, which in itself surpass any live set the rumours line up have released.
Fantastic, too, and very illustrative of the band's ferociousness onstage at that time. I'm disappointed, however, that several cuts were taken from St. Louis. Because of the video doc and the soundboard, that show is already too familiar to us. But the material from Wembley surprised me with how manic and wonderful it was, and the two or three cuts from August are dreamy treats.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Me agree. It's a marvelous box. Beautifully packaged, too.
Beautifully packaged, except for the fact that the discs fall out of their slots whenever you breathe near the box.

But I agree that it's collector's paradise.

Michele
Old 01-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also love the liner notes. love seeing what they say about the songs. Loved seeing Lindsey say he loves both Storms and Beautiful Child. They are amazing.

Was not a fan of live SOTM. That song is so darn amazing and so many great live versions. That one did not do it for me. Sara live is incredible.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
I also love the liner notes. love seeing what they say about the songs. Loved seeing Lindsey say he loves both Storms and Beautiful Child. They are amazing.

Was not a fan of live SOTM. That song is so darn amazing and so many great live versions. That one did not do it for me. Sara live is incredible.
I'm also underwhelmed by the live version chosen for SOTM and that was one of the ones I was most looking forward to on this. The one in the Tusk doc is incredible.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I Know I'm Not Wrong on the alternative disc has got to be favorite track. It's great to have a gem like this to surface after all these years thinking I had all the outtakes. It's like when I got the Never Going Back Again Duet from the Rumours reissue.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Someone posted Disc 1 of the Tusk show in Mobile 1980 but I didn't get Disc 2. Can someone kindly post Disc 2. I think that it was on this thread but can't seem to find it. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
They must have used video tape instead of film
for that documentary. The same way they did
for Stevie's HBO Concert and FM's Mirage.

I have the original video tape of that documentary
and it doesn't look much better than whats on YouTube.

Though the Mirage and Stevie concerts look decent
considering the source.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
On another note, I wish they put the 5.1 surround mix on Blu-ray and not DVD-A. Blu-ray audio is really the best format now. I have a DVD-A player, but blu-ray is really far more accessible for people. Kinda surprised actually...well maybe not.
And the sad thing is it's not even DVD-Audio - it's just lossy DTS on DVD-Video, which is sad given the DVD-Audio master was ceated.

I agree that Blu-ray would have made it more accessible to the masses and I would have preferred it lossless.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
And the sad thing is it's not even DVD-Audio - it's just lossy DTS on DVD-Video, which is sad given the DVD-Audio master was ceated.

I agree that Blu-ray would have made it more accessible to the masses and I would have preferred it lossless.
You're saying a blu-ray would be more accessible to the masses than a regular DVD, which this is? I would strongly disagree with that. A lot of people own blu-ray players, but a lot more own dvd players. Sure it could be lossless, but then the masses don't really care about that.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
You're saying a blu-ray would be more accessible to the masses than a regular DVD, which this is? I would strongly disagree with that. A lot of people own blu-ray players, but a lot more own dvd players. Sure it could be lossless, but then the masses don't really care about that.
I agree with both of you. On the one hand, a release like this should have an audiophile version. On the other hand, the masses don't care and / or don't have the stereo equipment to hear it properly.

I connected my blu ray to my receiver with an optical cable, and left the tv sound of out of the mix completely. I think the dvd mixes sound *amazing* when played through a stereo, with a proper audio connection. They certainly don't sound lossy. But even still, I only have two floor speakers, and not the proper surround sound system that the mixes are designed for.

I've also decided these tusk dvd mixes are superior to the Rumours dvda mixes, insofar as the layers of sound and the work put into them, but I do occasionally find myself disappointed by the alternate bits that were used here and there, such as the opening of Sisters of the Moon.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case