Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
new article on TUSK deluxe. plus, NEW LIVE "Tusk"
http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-song-premiere

It's not that different is it? (just some weird extra background noises and a cool mix)
Lindsey sounds like he was having a breakdown here... It is a nice crisp mix though.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
How developed did those songs get in the Tusk sessions? Seems like they might have been contenders early on, but were dropped in their rudimentary stage. Then Stevie stashed them in her "vault" for future reference.

All the digs that her 24 Karat Gold songs were "left in the vault for good reason"(inferring that they were substandard) are ignorant, revealing a complete misunderstanding of the creative process.
Beauty & The Beast was rather far along; the version commonly known as "the blues outtake" is from Tusk. I'm not sure how far they came on The Dealer, but there's a demo out there that sounds great. Both can be heard on YouTube.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I gave the tracklisting of this box set a good look today, and it's rather disappointing from the perspective of a Stevie fan. In all honesty, were I not getting it as a Christmas gift, I probably would pass at this point.

Any other Stevie fans feeling a bit 'meh' about it?
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I gave the tracklisting of this box set a good look today, and it's rather disappointing from the perspective of a Stevie fan. In all honesty, were I not getting it as a Christmas gift, I probably would pass at this point.

Any other Stevie fans feeling a bit 'meh' about it?
I am mainly just curious to know if the previously unreleased Beautiful Child version has different lyrics or sounds vastly different.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlynow View Post
I am mainly just curious to know if the previously unreleased Beautiful Child version has different lyrics or sounds vastly different.
I'm guessing that it's probably not all that different from what we already know and have, but maybe it will be a surprise!
Old 12-03-2015, 03:20 PM

Default Fleetwood Mac, ‘Tusk: Deluxe Edition': Album Review

Fleetwood Mac, ‘Tusk: Deluxe Edition': Album Review
By Michael Gallucci December 3, 2015 11:25 AM

Had Fleetwood Mac played it safe after Rumours, they probably could have made another gajillion-selling album. Instead, they handed the reins to singer and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and allowed him to steer the follow-up to one of the 20th century’s biggest LPs to wherever he wanted (with a few detours along the way).

The result was 1979’s double-LP Tusk, a much-delayed, over-budget and sprawling masterwork that often played out like Fleetwood Mac’s version of the Beatles‘ White Album: three distinct singer-songwriters hashing out their solo compositions while the rest of the group played backing band. And it was, if you believed what you read at the time, a total bomb.

But 36 years later, Tusk stands as one of rock’s most underrated and rewarding albums, a complex and layer-revealing work that offers new perspectives and treasures with each listen. A new five-disc Deluxe Edition doesn’t so much give fresh insight to the record as it provides a behind-the-scenes peek at its formation and development, as well as the occasional struggles the band endured during its long and difficult birth.

The original two-LP set is expanded with discs of single remixes, outtakes, session leftovers, live cuts from the 1979-80 tour in support of the album and the entire record made up of mostly previously unreleased versions of the 20 songs. It’s as often fascinating as it is repetitive: Even for an album built on textures and detailed studio assembling, multiple takes on the title track and “I Know I’m Not Wrong” begin to get tedious after the fourth pass.

Still, alternate versions of “Over & Over” (the ambiance-soaked Christine McVie ballad that opens the album), “The Ledge,” “That’s All for Everyone” and “Brown Eyes” (with early member Peter Green prominently sitting in) show just how meticulous the recordings were … and just how much the band was slowly unraveling. Buckingham is clearly in control here, injecting flashes of weirdness and brilliance into the project. Stevie Nicks‘ contributions tend to be the least affected by his mad-scientist tinkering, but even they go deeper than Rumours‘ most intricate tracks.

Tusk: Deluxe Edition doesn’t show us much in the way of how skeletal demos evolved into multi-layered art pieces, though — it’s not that kind of box. If anything, it leads us to believe that most of these songs were fully structured by the time Fleetwood Mac began recording. And radio mixes of “Think About Me” and “Not That Funny” prove that even after the LP’s release, some cuts took on even newer forms.

It’s a lot to get through — more than 80 songs in all — and parts of it seem like padding (the live tracks, mostly from 1975’s self-titled album, Rumours and Tusk, sound diluted without their studio adornments). But the original album is worth diving into again, if only to revisit one of the era’s most undervalued works, a bold record made by a superstar band willing to risk its place at the top for its art.

Read More: Fleetwood Mac, 'Tusk: Deluxe Edition': Album Review | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...ckback=tsmclip
Old 12-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seriously, it's completely ridiculous they put like seven outtakes of I Know I'm Not Wrong and Tusk in the deluxe package. One of each would have been enough, that's a lot of space they could have used for outtakes and/or alternate versions of other songs. Sara, for instance, the only unreleased version of Sara in the deluxe package is the live track we got a month ago.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You're making a huge assumption that there are a ton of outtakes in the vault they could of used instead. Between this set and the 2004 set, the barrel my be scraped clean.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh hey....an entire tusk concert officially released and mostly untouched...c'mon that is one of the biggest gems and surprises to happen in a while.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Oh hey....an entire tusk concert officially released and mostly untouched...c'mon that is one of the biggest gems and surprises to happen in a while.
Absolutely. And Lindsey recorded so much versions of his songs because that is the way he writes them. Recording. I LOVE the fact that we get insight in all those renditions. And I also understand that it is not for everybody. Bad luck. I'm happy.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FYI - you can preview all of the tracks on amazon.co.uk

I was bummed to find out that the autorip mp3 version is only sent to those with UK mailing addresses and credit cards. If you're in the US and ordered off of amazon.co.uk for the better price, you're going to have to wait until the set to arrive in the mail!
Old 12-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Seriously, it's completely ridiculous they put like seven outtakes of I Know I'm Not Wrong and Tusk in the deluxe package. One of each would have been enough, that's a lot of space they could have used for outtakes and/or alternate versions of other songs. Sara, for instance, the only unreleased version of Sara in the deluxe package is the live track we got a month ago.
and not really a lot of Angels. Nothing at all on the last Tusk package, though there were versions of all her other songs. I would love to hear her songwriting demo of it that she brought to the band.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Absolutely. And Lindsey recorded so much versions of his songs because that is the way he writes them. Recording. I LOVE the fact that we get insight in all those renditions. And I also understand that it is not for everybody. Bad luck. I'm happy.

Amen to that! This is like a dream come true for my favorite MAC album released as a true "Box Set". After listening to the samples, I know I'm Not Wrong on the alternative disc with Stevie very prominent really gets me excited.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default it's on Spotify

Tusk de Luxe is in Spotify, as well as the expanded version:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1d075yQcykHjerQ2BN0ABn
Old 12-04-2015, 06:57 AM

I also am happy to hear different takes on the same song, but 6 on the same disc is truly a lot even for a fan. It means that of the 22 songs contained on that disc, more than 1/3 of the space is occupied by the same song (even if in different versions).

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 12-04-2015 at 03:21 PM..