Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
They also play way too many songs as inspiration for the Mac. Its not like the Mac does not have such an extensive catalog of music. One out of every 4 songs is not a Mac song. It should be something like one out of 10.
I did hear Silver Heels yesterday. That was awesome. I want to hear more Christine songs from Heroes plus some Buckingham Nicks and Christine and Lindsey solo. You don't even have to play other bands on the channel. There are endless tunes from the Mac and Mac members.
Ugh, agreed. Do they think we'll get sick of the Mac or something and that we want a break from them? We're listening to the Fleetwood Mac channel for a reason, Sirius!!

They did this on the Eagles channel, too; I guess they seriously do think listeners don't want to hear the artist the channel is for all the time!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They don’t even explain 90% of the time why they’re playing this stuff. For example, instead of just playing random Rolling Stones songs, how about a clip of Lindsey talking about how the drum beat in GYOW was somewhat inspired by Street Fighting Man and that Mick couldn’t really get it exact but did end up with what we know and love.

And please tell me how Hotel California fits on this station other than it being released at the same time as Rumours?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
They don’t even explain 90% of the time why they’re playing this stuff. For example, instead of just playing random Rolling Stones songs, how about a clip of Lindsey talking about how the drum beat in GYOW was somewhat inspired by Street Fighting Man and that Mick couldn’t really get it exact but did end up with what we know and love.

And please tell me how Hotel California fits on this station other than it being released at the same time as Rumours?
It’s like they’re using this as The Bridge II.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

They play so much Eagles lol. I feel like every time I turn it on I hear an Eagles song. Aside from that they were both popular California soft rock bands at around the same time and that Stevie banged the drummer and the guitarist in both, I don't understand what's supposed to be the grand connection between FM and The Eagles lol.
And they don't play a lot of music that we actually know to have been very influential/the band was involved with. The Kingston Trio, Walter Egan, Warren Zevon etc.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
They play so much Eagles lol. I feel like every time I turn it on I hear an Eagles song. Aside from that they were both popular California soft rock bands at around the same time and that Stevie banged the drummer and the guitarist in both, I don't understand what's supposed to be the grand connection between FM and The Eagles lol.
And they don't play a lot of music that we actually know to have been very influential/the band was involved with. The Kingston Trio, Walter Egan, Warren Zevon etc.
They happen to be my favorite two bands of all time. Maybe it's just me...
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
They happen to be my favorite two bands of all time. Maybe it's just me...
I like a lot of Eagles songs but I just think they just made the same type of music over and over and over and over and over and over and over. What did the Eagles even do after Hotel California honestly? I think that's the main reason there's always a running gag about the Eagles sucking. They don't actually suck but if you listen to their songs for too long it all starts to sound the same and you get to the point where you're like 'we get it, enough'.
But to be fair I think FM could've easily gone down that road too had Tusk Lindsey not happened.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like a lot of Eagles songs but I just think they just made the same type of music over and over and over and over and over and over and over. What did the Eagles even do after Hotel California honestly? I think that's the main reason there's always a running gag about the Eagles sucking. They don't actually suck but if you listen to their songs for too long it all starts to sound the same and you get to the point where you're like 'we get it, enough'.
But to be fair I think FM could've easily gone down that road too had Tusk Lindsey not happened.
They really only did The Long Run after HC, and were done. And they already HATED each other then!

And even though it's comparing apples and oranges, I'm sure the Eagles were marginally more popular than FM.

Greatest Hits is the best selling album of the past century(literally).
Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They really only did The Long Run after HC, and were done. And they already HATED each other then!

And even though it's comparing apples and oranges, I'm sure the Eagles were marginally more popular than FM.

Greatest Hits is the best selling album of the past century(literally).
Oh yeah they definitely were very, very popular. Still are but now there's a lot of people who think they suck lol. Or just joke about it.
Personally I think all their albums sound like a greatest hits album lol. They're good just not very creative in my opinion. Made many great songs but never did anything special.
I think FM would've been The Eagles 2.0 if not for Tusk. Whether you like the album or not, I think Tusk definitely has an important part in the FM legacy because of that-- it showed they did something different instead of just doing the same thing over and over.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh yeah they definitely were very, very popular. Still are but now there's a lot of people who think they suck lol. Or just joke about it.
Personally I think all their albums sound like a greatest hits album lol. They're good just not very creative in my opinion. Made many great songs but never did anything special.
I think FM would've been The Eagles 2.0 if not for Tusk. Whether you like the album or not, I think Tusk definitely has an important part in the FM legacy because of that-- it showed they did something different instead of just doing the same thing over and over.
I agree. Tusk is what set them apart from just being just a big pop machine.

The vision of a creative genius...

How did that work out for him, in the long run?

Fired by some arrhythmic tambourine wielding idiot.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. Tusk is what set them apart from just being just a big pop machine.

The vision of a creative genius...

How did that work out for him, in the long run?

Fired by some arrhythmic tambourine wielding idiot.
I think this might be quite possibly the greatest post I've read in my 14 years on The Ledge.

Each line in and of itself is accurate, truthful and jarring. this is why I love your posts, please never stop.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
I think this might be quite possibly the greatest post I've read in my 14 years on The Ledge.

Each line in and of itself is accurate, truthful and jarring. this is why I love your posts, please never stop.
ITA. Every time I watch some old YT videos and see Lindsey working on others' songs, putting his heart, body and soul in everything he does, I can't stop thinking about how betrayed he must feel.

But as long as Stevie can dance around her house every morning, I guess it's all worth it, right?
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post

Thank you. SINCERELY.

We've become so divided, and attacks do hurt, no matter how thick our skin.

Again, THANK YOU. What you wrote means a lot to me.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you. SINCERELY.

We've become so divided, and attacks do hurt, no matter how thick our skin.

Again, THANK YOU. What you wrote means a lot to me.
i LOVE your posts too. And when I hear Stevie saying again on the FM channel today, that Lindsey liked to put "a thousand overdubs" and basically passive agressively berating his production style, I want to .... ahhhhhh. She's been saying this in TONS of interviews lately. The reason FM stood out is BECAUSE of LB and his production. The songs sounded different then anything out there and she should be kissing his freaking ass because of what he did too songs like Gypsy. SCREW HER!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
i LOVE your posts too. And when I hear Stevie saying again on the FM channel today, that Lindsey liked to put "a thousand overdubs" and basically passive agressively berating his production style, I want to .... ahhhhhh. She's been saying this in TONS of interviews lately. The reason FM stood out is BECAUSE of LB and his production. The songs sounded different then anything out there and she should be kissing his freaking ass because of what he did too songs like Gypsy. SCREW HER!!!
Forget the other songs, she should kiss his ass for Gypsy alone. What he did with that song is incredible. He took a good song and sent it to the stratosphere. The studio version of Gypsy is probably the pinnacle of what this fivesome could accomplish. It’s truly perfection. An absolutely beautiful song.

And those passive aggressive digs drive me nuts. Please, every song of hers would be “plink plonk plunk dream fairy dust maiden plink plonk plunk” if left to her own devices.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Forget the other songs, she should kiss his ass for Gypsy alone. What he did with that song is incredible. He took a good song and sent it to the stratosphere. The studio version of Gypsy is probably the pinnacle of what this fivesome could accomplish. It’s truly perfection. An absolutely beautiful song.
This 100%.
I don't want to undermine Stevie's own talents and she obviously wrote a lovely song but dear god if Gypsy isn't one of the most stunningly produced songs I've ever heard. It's just beautiful, so, so beautiful. And he even wrote the hook for it! That da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da on the guitar that runs the whole way through. Just SO beautiful, everything about it so lush and sparkling. Lindsey always spoke so favorably of it too, for that same reason, I think I saw somewhere where he called it his favorite collaboration between him and Stevie partly because of the heavy hand he had in it-- what she had and what he did to it and how it turned out. He said he was happy to have really helped her craft one of her classics.