User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Don't get me wrong...I like Time. It's just not in the same league as Tango.
Of course, I also love the 'white' album too.
I think the album it kills the most is SYW. I can't enjoy that one at all. It is very weak and had poor production. That fact that it didn't include any controbution from the British Songbird, only made it worse. An album without her is not the same.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll come back to rank later, but I gotta say this is really a favorite album of mine. It started as a favorite cassette of mine on my Walkman at the University of South Florida, where I saw them live for the first time. It's definitely of its time but I still love listening to the record and the CD downloads. It'll always loom large in my Mac love.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Don't get me wrong...I like Time. It's just not in the same league as Tango.
Of course, I also love the 'white' album too.
I wish Time was Billy, Bekka and Christine. Christine was correct about the chemistry of the band being off.

But then again, she's Christine. She's been in the band since 1969.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
I'm one of the VERY few people that like Time. I have to respectfully disagree with you; it is not a better album than Fleetwood Mac. In fact, I think The White Album is their most flawless release. That's just how I feel, though.
I agree with you on both scores.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I don't care for very much on Tango. It has almost no Fleetwood Mac sound and is a Lindsey solo album with Christine and Stevie appearing on it. Unlike a classic Mac sound, its pure 80s synth pop. Stevie was there a total of 3 weeks according to Mick. She flew off the wall and threatened to blackmail the group because she was barely on the album. Then you get the cheezy Stevie quick added padding like on Family Man "i am what I am in cheezy 80's sound. Stevie's demos were flown in from the Rock A Little tour and she could not even write to contribute 3 songs and borrowed Seven Wonders from Sandy Stewart. Tango is also the worst album cover of any Mac album IMHO.

****getting off my soapbox now*****

Having said that to get off my chest there are a few good songs and Christine makes this album worthy. Unfortunately we have to wait to Behind the Mask to hear her play keyboards again. There are a few parts here and there where her playing shines on this album though.

Favorite track: Isn't it Midnight - pure rocker that this album needed more of. Lindsey's solo is amazing and his backing vocals take the song to another level. This is one of Christine's best songs ever!

Tango In The Night - a great song by Buckingham. Its creative with surprising pounding guitar work at the end. One of Lindsey's best songs from the 80's

Little Lies - what a cute little song that made the perfect pop single. No wonder it charted all the way at #4. To hear all 3 singers featured on a Mac song on Tango is extremely rare. One of the major reasons I like this song; Group effort .....hello!!!!

Those are my top 3. I also like Everywhere mostly because its a different and great song live. Mystified is also a worthy McVie effort.

The best thing from Tango were the videos. Big Love - awesome to finally see them all together again. Seven Wonders - just beautiful Little Lies - pure magic

I wish the Mac would have not played it so safe on this album. There was tremendous pressure to make it commercially successful. They should have kept the pop hits waiting after showcasing the Mac was back. I wish Isn't it Midnight was the first single just to blow everyone away. Ahhh Hello....the Mac is back! Then they could have released the top 40 pop hits. It would have given the Mac some credibility to rock critics instead of embracing the current pop 1987 sound. That is why it never charted past #7 at its peak. Its 1987 pop songs were not stand outs or unique. The best rock albums hold up because they are daring and have a unique sound. Most of these songs could have easily been added to Lindsey's Go Insane and no one would have even noticed.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-26-2016 at 05:51 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
I know this is not a favorite album among fans, but it's not that bad. I think it contains some fairly decent songs.
I don't think it's disfavored among fans.

Michele
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Big Love
Seven Wonders
Tango in the Night
Little Lies
Isn't it Midnight

From a live perspective, I enjoy Everywhere quite a bit too (both the 1987-90 and 1997/2014-15 versions)....but on the album it's a clunker.

Family Man is cringeworthy and When I See You Again was/is/and always will be a hot mess. Stevie's voice is horrible, the production is brutal, and the lyrics...holy hell. She stares at the stairs...wassamattabaaaabay....
Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When you break them down to guitar and drums, there are some good songs on "Tango In The Night", but as is the case with MOST music from the mid/late 80's, the OVER-PRODUCED 80's synthesizer sound makes the album feel so dated. I find it unlistenable. The great thing about Fleetwood Mac is that their albums like "Rumours" "Tusk" and "The White Album" have stood the test of time so well. The 1980's brought such overproduced music, that most of it sounds ridiculous today. This is also the case with most parts of Stevie's "Rock A Little" and "The Other Side Of The Mirror". I'd like to hear some of these songs rerecorded with less heavy production and cheesy 80's synthesizers. Again, it just all sounds so DATED to the 2016 ear.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

'Everywhere', 'Seven Wonders' and 'Little Lies' are the truly great songs in the album. I really like every song though. Really. Even those Stevie songs that always get dumped on. I dig 'em.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 05-27-2016, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Little Lies" is probably the only song I really dig just the way it is. I'm not really a big fan of the 80's sound prevalent on Tango but for whatever reason it wins me over here.

"Big Love" is also a good song but I think I do like the version on The Dance better. Still, I like it.

"Seven Wonders" is nice, despite Stevie's shot voice.

That's probably it, those three there. This is just not my album. I could've loved "Everywhere" with different production. I like the stripped down, simple and sweet version I try to hear in my head. "Isn't It Midnight" is sound but it still sounds like a workout video soundtrack to me. Plus I don't quite like the way Chris' voice sounds here or on "Mystified." Though I don't hate that song either.

I think Chris does the best on this album, unfortunately she's attempting sounds that aren't my favorite things to listen to. I want to like Lindsey's F. Synth Fitzgerald thing more than I do. Stevie, oy.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey and Christine killed it on this album. Stevie's songs were not that great. Seven Wonders is okay and Welcome To The Room Sara is okay. When I See You Again is awful, completely unbearable. Why didn't they use If You Were My Love on Tango instead of Stevie's subpar songs.

Lindsey's songs are great, my favorite is Family Man

Christine's songs are great. Everywhere could use a little less glitter, but I still love it. Mystified is great too.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 AM
Junior Ledgie

1.Tango
2.Caraline
3.When i see you again
4.Isnt it midnight
5.family man .
I quite like all the others also except Seven Wonders
Old 05-27-2016, 03:53 AM
Junior Ledgie

Oh , forgot to add i dont like Everywhere .
Old 05-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I just had a funny memory of Tango. When Big Love was released many thought it was Stevie grunting on the song. Everyone wanted to know who was the female grunting. The band put out a statement it was not Stevie grunting but Lindsey's voice sped up.
I remember the world premier of Big Love on MTV and the 2 hour Mac Attack leading up to the video. Long live the 1980's!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Strangely, the only song I really ever listen to from Tango is "When I See You Again"... It's so heartbreaking and sad and it's a great pity party song.