Tango In The Night
Old 06-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Over and Over
Sara
Gypsy
"Sara" has always been one that I just don't get. (Production-wise, I mean.) To me it's so repetitive, and changes so little throughout its long running time, that it just sounds monotonous. I guess the fact that the song stays so "samey" throughout does lend it a bit of a hypnotic, dreamy quality -- is that where the appeal lies? I'd like to be shown how to enjoy this song, actually, since it's clearly a fan favorite.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

The Chain and Tusk!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The title song of Tusk is a masterpiece. One of my favorite songs period--and entirely original.

His production skills are most notable on Stevie's songs, where the demos are so skeletal as to be almost nothing but a vocal with chord changes. Hence, Dreams and Gyspy are superb examples of his "wizardry."

He has certainly lifted very good Christine songs to greatness, especially on Hold Me, Little Lies (already mentioned), Say You Love Me, and Love in Store. But the end result is not as dramatic as the demos-to-final versions of Stevie's tunes.

There are a few cases where Buckingham's production hurts the songs, I think: the demo for Everywhere is stronger than the end result, and his decision to muck about with Christine's voice on Isn't it Midnight is disturbing. But these are minor exceptions. He was a great producer. Not so certain anymore. Will have to see with the next record....whenever it comes.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
"Sara" has always been one that I just don't get. (Production-wise, I mean.) To me it's so repetitive, and changes so little throughout its long running time, that it just sounds monotonous. I guess the fact that the song stays so "samey" throughout does lend it a bit of a hypnotic, dreamy quality -- is that where the appeal lies? I'd like to be shown how to enjoy this song, actually, since it's clearly a fan favorite.
I can see your point. It does go on and on. I think the appeal for me is how all those layers of instrumentation and voices subtly build. It took me many years to really appreciate those qualities on several of the Tusk songs. "Storms" and Over And Over" are other good examples of this.

Tango In The Night is the album I have trouble understanding. Don't get me wrong. There are some great moments but to my ears, much of it sounds too artificial and stitched together. I think Mirage sounds better production wise but the songs just aren't as interesting. Mirage does actually sound like a band playing together and I don't hear that so much with TITN. I really have tried to love it. If anyone can help me understand the appeal, please feel free to try.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Just close your eyes and listen. Sara is a beautiful song. Don't think about it, just close your eyes and listen.

But back to the topic at hand: I'm going to go with Gypsy, especially the extended version. Hold Me is my favorite song.

Sara is amazing.

I never really liked Tusk, the song, it's kinda weird and random.