Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
Except those aren't the lyrics, they are "And she stares and the stairs, ooh there are many things to stare at these days...." Not a huge improvement but still.
Forgive the slip! I typed the wrong word. Happens to the best of us, eh?

More fun with stairs:

"I fell down the stairs, a broken rag doll" - Street Angel

And of course.... "I went searching for an answer up the stairs and down the hall"

Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Downstairs the big old house is mine, upstairs where the stars still laugh and they shine...

Last edited by WarmSir3; 01-17-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=vivfox;865670]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Perhaps because the silly vocals are ridiculously distracting. I will never understand why Lindsey thinks they are so clever and cool. The insipidity and repetitiveness of the lyrics doesn't help.

Worst. Mac. Song. Ever.[/QUOTE]

That award goes to Oh Diane.
It's funny (or not that funny) that both Family Man and Oh Diane were singles! It's amazing that Oh Diane, in particular, was a minor hit in Europe. I even have a 12" picture sleeve record of the song. It's a thin whisp of a song, but it has grown on me, as a little musical sketch.

Some of Lindsey's lyrics push the limits brevity and simplicity, however the evidence from his more recent records shows his lyrics have more substance.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-17-2010 at 10:58 PM..
Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Street_Dreamer;865674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

You must have never listened to When You Say or The Second Time. Talk about a lifeless, dull and depressing song. Stevie's vocals on The Second Time almost make me wish that I had never been born.

Matt
The Second Time was a pathetic attempt to create something emotional on the level of Landslide, but is a huge misfire. For me, it exposes an odd quirk and a big weakness/flaw in Stevie's lyrics -- she obliviously switches tenses within a stanza and it spoils any comprehensible cohesiveness. The last lines of the song is the epitome of it.

Someone that you loved and will aways love second person
The second time around for us first person
She never looked back, she could never look back third person

Uhh!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-17-2010 at 11:32 PM..
Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

[QUOTE=PenguinHead;866008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post

The Second Time was a pathetic attempt to create something emotional on the level of Landslide, but is a huge misfire. For me, it exposes an odd quirk and a big weakness/flaw in Stevie's lyrics -- she obliviously switches tenses within a stanza and it spoils any comprehensible cohesiveness. The last lines of the song is the epitome of it.

Someone that you loved and will aways love second person
The second time around for us first person
She never looked back, she could never look back third person

Uhh!
This is exactly what Lindsey was trying to say to her in the Destiny Rules documentary about the lyrics in "Thrown Down" when she was like 'Well, you wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan"
Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Rick wrote the music & the lead vox melody line of SECOND TIME. I think it's superb -- the melody has its own lyric integrity, & can be sung a cappella with very little loss of musical power.

Stevie's lyrics are good, too -- one of her more believable songs.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Viv, you rock

I wonder if I'll ever listen to BTM. I feel almost afraid I'll enjoy it, I guess.

Family Man is certainly not the worst FM song, there are worse on Tango, let alone FM's career. And if you count b-sides, FM has a lot of ****ty ones of those (albeit a lot of great ones too).

Listen to the extended Family Man and you may see what I see, with an extra verse (a dark one) and a lot more Spanish guitar. Much more enjoyable than the album version.

As to the genesis of Family Man, I always thought it and some other Tango LB tracks were the start of a solo project like OOTC, which he put on hold so that FM could have another record.
A lot of Lindsey's Tango tracks feel like solo stuff to me, like on the Go Insane album.

Oh Diane isn't a bad track either, it's just too simple. I give Lindsey a lot more credit for it after hearing the much angrier demo, very Tusk-like (A Tusk session?), which was obviously pared down to sound like the rest of the album. Same goes for Eyes of the World.

I just want to know who considers Mystified and Empire State better tracks than OD and FM. I don't like Can't Go Back much either, and I love Lindsey.

I used to hate WISYA, but I heard it listening to Tango yesterday and it has qualities I like. Stevie just doesn't do well on the track. Lindsey has such a profound influence on every track on Tango, that's why the album is a good one, for me.
I like Welcome to the Room, it has neat vocals in it, very 80's Stevie. I'm amazed she came up with Seven Wonders and WTTR given how little she was there for TITN.

Quote:
It's funny (or not that funny) that both Family Man and Oh Diane were singles!
Look at some of the other singles they released over time. Stupid choices, most of them post-Rumours. Guess coke'll do that to you :P

- Spike
Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=holidayroad;866024]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

This is exactly what Lindsey was trying to say to her in the Destiny Rules documentary about the lyrics in "Thrown Down" when she was like 'Well, you wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan"
I'd have given my left n*t for Lindsey to have said, "Yeah, well you're no Bob Dylan, you self absorbed loon!"
Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=HomerMcvie;866037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I'd have given my left n*t for Lindsey to have said, "Yeah, well you're no Bob Dylan, you self absorbed loon!"
To me his face did say, "Well, you're no Bob Dylan." That made it so funny to me. His tongue may not have moved, but the sentiment was there in his eyes.

Of course, I wouldn't have wanted him to call her any names and hope he's more mature than that.

For her part, given the fact that he leaves a sentence completely unfinished in Tusk, I can see why she won't be taking grammar lessons from that ellipsis master any time soon.

Michele
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=michelej1;866045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

To me his face did say, "Well, you're no Bob Dylan." That made it so funny to me. His tongue may not have moved, but the sentiment was there in his eyes.
Right, and the funny thing is, that she thinks she is as good a songwriter as Dylan!

She IS a self absorbed loon!

I wonder if she's ever regretted saying that?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I wonder if she's ever regretted saying that?
No, I'm sure she pats herself on the back for that great comeback.

It's funny to me that although they're known for their arguing, how the things they do not say to each other, the things they hold back, are pretty interesting.

That's why I laughed so much when Mick didn't say anything to Lindsey's face, but was talking to Ray about him. You can just hear the inner dialogue that must have been going on in Mick's head when Lindsey was discussing making sacrifices for his craft. Later Mick said Lindsey knew he wouldn't ever be in a two room apartment. Point taken, as we saw the construction site for Lindsey's mansion and him driving around in an $80,000 car discussing how he had no allies in the band.

But with them, and so many of the show biz couples really, a lot of the stuff that's amazing to me is what they don't fight about. The quirks and craziness that they just accept from the other person without challenge. I think that's fascinating in a relationship dynamic.

Michele