The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I sometimes think that Stevie can be heard on the title track. It's probably more fake Stevie concocted by Lindsey, though- listen from 0:56 to 1:12, for example.

I do love that tiny bit of Christine you can hear at 2:25 to 2:41 just before the guitar solo kicks in. She sounds like a lost soul about to be carried away in the night.

I've tried so many times to hear Stevie on Eveywhere.If she's there, her voice has been synthesized almost out of existence
Old 06-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've tried so many times to hear Stevie on Eveywhere.If she's there, her voice has been synthesized almost out of existence[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what was done as did with Mystified. She could easily been mixed in the same way on some of Lindsey's tunes. I guess we will have to wait for the Tango box set to get all the skinny.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I sometimes think that Stevie can be heard on the title track. It's probably more fake Stevie concocted by Lindsey, though- listen from 0:56 to 1:12, for example.

I do love that tiny bit of Christine you can hear at 2:25 to 2:41 just before the guitar solo kicks in. She sounds like a lost soul about to be carried away in the night.
I think there a strong chance it could be Lindsey's voice in both of these cases- as Sisternightroad says, perhaps Richard D could clarify.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think Stevie's voice is there but you would have to strip down the song to hear it. She also sings back up on Go Your Own Way and Dont Stop. You surely dont hear her on those songs. I think there is a trace of Stevie on these songs if you would strip them down. Mick did say Stevie's voice was added later on Everywhere after Stevie threw a hissy fit.

I was not aware Klonopin was an issue this early. It was not until an interview I saw with Stevie a few years ago that she admitted she would show up late to Tango sessions because of tranquilizers and there was tension between her and Lindsey. Maybe it was an excuse from her.
But even if she started taking Klonopin at this time, its not going to be visible in album photos or even on stage. Like any drug it takes time for obvious changes to take place. In addition her doctor would up her dose year after year. Again like any drug, the body builds up a tolerance and you need more and more to achieve the same effect. Towards the end everyone could see how zonked out Stevie was. It was in her eyes, in her speech and even her behavior. 1987 and 1988 were good years. The lights went out during the 1989 tour and it was worse in 1990 and so on.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-09-2016 at 05:36 AM..
Old 06-09-2016, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post

I've tried so many times to hear Stevie on Eveywhere.If she's there, her voice has been synthesized almost out of existence
Quote:
She also sings back up on Go Your Own Way and Dont Stop
Listening back, I can hear what you mean, around 0:54 in TITN, there's a faint backing vocal which sounds like Stevie's voice around the time.

On Go Your Own Way, I think she just sings backup to the tune in the chorus, and so Lindsey drowns her out. You can hear her though at 2:38 when Lindsey cuts out the melody. I can't hear at all on Don't Stop.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:31 AM

This is why we need a remaster of Tango!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post

She's very prominent in the concert version from the Tango tour. I always liked her in the chorus. I always loved her harmonies in the alternate version of You Make Loving Fun as well.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highwayman View Post
Well, I've heard that the effects of the Klonopin were slow to take effect on Stevie, so who knows when it really started hitting her big time. As you said, she does look terrific in the Tango photo shoots. Remarkably clear-eyed.
She looks amazing early on in the tour too. I don't think the huge hair did her any favours.

Check this out - fresh off the plane and she looks incredible. This could've been 10 years earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM81_qkp3KI
Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
She looks amazing early on in the tour too. I don't think the huge hair did her any favours.

Check this out - fresh off the plane and she looks incredible. This could've been 10 years earlier.

Thanks for that video, she does look good there, big hair and all. Anyway, 1987-'88 was the height of big Aqua Net hair in the '80s; she was just following a trend.
I don't quite think she looks as good as a decade before, but in that video (and in these pictures below), she looks surprisingly fantastic.

Hot:

White hot:

Sipping napalm, smoking dynamite facing a thermonuclear sunrise on Mercury in July hot:

So sad to know it was only a matter of time until the big evil K would pull her under. So amazing then, to see her rise again like a Phoenix a decade later. I mean, look at Stevie in this photo with the band in 1998 at the Brit awards:

She looks like she aged about 20 seconds in the ensuing 10 years since Tango, and she was more popular, influential and beloved than ever before.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 06-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've also thought she looked INCREDIBLE when they did that press conference, must have been before the tour, she looks even better IMO:

Old 06-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:

She looks fantastic!! And she was quite enduring, back then.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Neither do I. I just hear Lindsey's altered vocals behind Chris.
That's what I hear too. Lindsey experimented a lot with the voice oscillator on Tango. But I agree with SisterNightroad, it would be a good question for Richard D.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She looks fantastic!! And she was quite enduring, back then.
she was certainly endearing.

And has proven after all this time to be enduring.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie sang on Little Lies, obviously, but she also sang on Everywhere. I can clearly hear her on the chorus, particularly the last line of it. She doesn't really sing on any other Tango tunes except her own. She may or may not be that weird voice on Family Man--I think it's her.

In response to someone else's observation that Stevie doesn't really sing much or at all on Lindsey and Christine's Mirage tunes, I would say Love in Store is a notable exception. Her harmonies on that really give that song an added glow.

Of course she sings the chorus on Go Your Own Way, but she does not sing at all on the studio version of Don't Stop.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Stevie sang on Little Lies, obviously, but she also sang on Everywhere. I can clearly hear her on the chorus, particularly the last line of it. She doesn't really sing on any other Tango tunes except her own. She may or may not be that weird voice on Family Man--I think it's her.

In response to someone else's observation that Stevie doesn't really sing much or at all on Lindsey and Christine's Mirage tunes, I would say Love in Store is a notable exception. Her harmonies on that really give that song an added glow.

Of course she sings the chorus on Go Your Own Way, but she does not sing at all on the studio version of Don't Stop.
I concur with all of this.