The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Is it common for bands to be so frugal with merchandise?

I don't follow any other artists very closely- so maybe you guys can help me out.

Why does FM continue to use old photos for promotion? Shouldn't we get new photos with each tour?

Why are so many of their t-shirts so bland and ugly? (Don't get me started on Stevie's ugly merchandise- ugh)

Are we going to get a fresh batch of new designs this tour, or more recycled left overs?

What is up with this contest?:

http://creativeallies.com/contests/7...od-mac/entries

I would think it was cool if the prize was tickets or VIP passes, or something really special. But this reeks of we only want to pay $500 for something that will be used to promote a tour that will generate MILLIONS OF DOLLARS- and it really bothers me!

Anyway, just wondering, is this typical of bands these days? (Does the band even make these decisions?)

I would just love to have awesome memorabilia and I feel like we don't get it anymore!

Oh- and for a positive spin- anyone want to share what their favorite memorabilia is? Got any photos?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecalmsea View Post
I don't follow any other artists very closely- so maybe you guys can help me out.

Why does FM continue to use old photos for promotion? Shouldn't we get new photos with each tour?

Why are so many of their t-shirts so bland and ugly? (Don't get me started on Stevie's ugly merchandise- ugh)

Are we going to get a fresh batch of new designs this tour, or more recycled left overs?
This really is a mystery. It's abolutely ridiculous they still use 10 year old promo photos, we should've seen new photos by now.
No idea why their shirts and merchendise are so bad but it's really frustrating. I remember in '09 they had a t-shirt design contest and there were so many cool entries but a really bland design won. Stevie's merchendise sucks because of Chris Nicks' (lack of) artistic vision, but I don't think he has anything to do with FM.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they only use the old photos, because THEY'RE old now. Better to show 55yo pics, than 65yo pics!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Ledgie

Yeah I have a definite fear of aging and so does the public so it looks better to project old Say You Will photos for the promos instead of a rather 'aged' group. My friend and I were making observations of recent Bob Dylan records (not Tempest, but some Dylan record from last decade), and Clapton's latest and a Chet Baker album from before he died and we severely wondered what the thinking behind putting really old stars to the forefront was. Very depressing.

Buckingham on the cover of Seeds We Sow looks very air brushed and sorta fake but the Songs From the Small Machine is kind of depressing in conjunction with my Law and Order and Out of the Cradle albums et al.

Though I would kill for some nice t-shirt designs, that's what I'll be crossing my fingers for in Vancouver this May!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for all your thoughts~ I guess the aging thing does make sense.

However, I am not excusing the poor designs we are getting!

Fingers crossed that things get a little spiced up this year!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think they only use the old photos, because THEY'RE old now. Better to show 55yo pics, than 65yo pics!
And they are not the only band doing that.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Stevie's merchendise sucks because of Chris Nicks' (lack of) artistic vision, but I don't think he has anything to do with FM.
Live Nation has a contract with Stevie to provide and sell all the merch. Chris no longer has anything to do with it.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Plus they're lazy and are only in it for the money. The band will peddle any old crap for a fast buck. We should all have realised that many moons ago.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Plus they're lazy and are only in it for the money. The band will peddle any old crap for a fast buck. We should all have realised that many moons ago.
YEP! Feeding egos and bank accounts. They should name the next tour that!

Not that I don't still like them, but they're no longer artists....
Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
And they are not the only band doing that.
I know. The business doesn't want anyone over 35! I can't imagine trying to market yourself at 65!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have not even see a tour book in ages.We can print one from the Ledge to male up for it.Also for free except pay for the ton of ink.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
YEP! Feeding egos and bank accounts. They should name the next tour that!

Not that I don't still like them, but they're no longer artists....
Yes. Sad cases of grossly wasted potential.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Yes. Sad cases of grossly wasted potential.
With the lack of an album of original songs for the past TEN years I must sadly agree. This tour is just another money grab.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM

It's funny, Rush released Clockwork Angels in June of 2012. It shot to #2 on the Billboard Charts, they had all new photos, new tour book, tons of new merch. The tour is still happening and they play 50 mins. of the new album.

They are 60 ish now.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's funny, Rush released Clockwork Angels in June of 2012. It shot to #2 on the Billboard Charts, they had all new photos, new tour book, tons of new merch. The tour is still happening and they play 50 mins. of the new album.

They are 60 ish now.
You know my feelings on the subject, but I truly believe that if Chris came back, a new album would actually SELL. Because let's face it, the fact that SYW didn't do big numbers, is the reason there's not a new album, but rather just another cash grab.

I'll be donating my cash in Louisville. And honestly, I wouldn't be going, if it weren't for wanting to meet up with my good Ledgie friends. THAT'S why I'm going.