User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Garbo Speaks!!!!!!!!! Lol

From the Fan Club: QUESTIONS FOR JOHN MCVIE!! Come ON with the LINDSEY questions already!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Hi John. You are so damn cool. Do you ever get tired of all the promotional junk that comes along with being part of a huge band like Fleetwood Mac? The sad thing is that you guys are fabulous musicians, but also immensely popular so it seems like you'd be stuck in the publicity corporate grind a lot. And seeing as you seem like the kind of guy that is just more like screw this and on with the music" I wanted to know your opinion. Rock on - peace -"

Thanks for the question (and compliment)! You got it in one! The business side of this "business" is not for me. I can't stand it! BUT it's part of what we do. Sometimes its unavoidable. It's the nature of the BEAST!

Hey John, I am a big fan of yours. Its unreal how alot of times your bass line anchors alot of Fleetwood Mac's songs. My question is I really enjoy your bass solo in the middle of the chain and was wondering is there anyway making it a little longer, like you did in the old days, like on the mirage tour? It sounds so good and really gets the jamming going at the end of the song. Keep up the good work , cant wait to see you guys on tour.

It's not really a "solo," more of a "lead in" to the "out choruses," so Lindsey and Mick can stretch out a bit, especially on the road.

Hey, John, I love the way you play the bass. It is so cool. Do you play a 4 or 5 string bass. If both, which do you prefer and why?

Hi Zachary,
I play a four string bass. Tried a five string once but decided that with the way I play and the band's musical style, there was no need for a fifth string. (It felt bloody awkward, too!)

I hear that you have a penguin tattoo. Can you tell me the story behind the penguin?

Hi Lisa,
The penguin tattoo was the result of an afternoon at the bar in the "Riot House" on Sunset Strip. There was a tattoo parlor across the street, "Lyle Tuttle" I believe. As the afternoon wore on the idea of getting a tattoo became more appealing! We'd also been using a penguin as a "logo" for years before that.

John, I've been playing for 4 years now and I can't play anywhere near the way you do. How did you learn to play the bass and when did you start?

Hi Adrian,
I've been playing bass since I was 15 years old. I started by listening to records, Willie Dixon, Charles Mingus and others. When I add up the years, seems like I should be better than I am!

You seem so quiet and reserved on stage. Are you the same off stage as on stage?

Hi Jackie,
"Quite and reserved"! Mmmmm! I guess you're right! However, a couple of beers does change that sometimes! Doing interviews, when they finally get 'round to me, it's all been said!

I know that I only can ask one question, but there is so many things I want to know. I read somewhere that you love to sail. Is that true? What kind of boat do you have? Where are some of the places you sailed to? Thanks for reading my questions, I think you are the greatest.

Hi Melanie,
Yes, I LOVE TO SAIL! What a release and communion. I've had two sailboats over the last 25 years. The first was a 43' ketch in which four of us (not band members) sailed to Hawaii and back. The last sailboat was a 63' sloop in which I sailed to, with others, Tahiti and most of French Polynesia, Hawaii and back four times, all around the Caribbean (when we lived there), and up to "Bar Harbor" in Maine twice. On the last Hawaii return trip I decided I was too old to get cold so I sold the sloop and I now have a 46' trawler in which we fish the California coast and islands. (Sometimes we even catch fish!)
Old 04-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Muchas gracias Christy!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow DOR...

Well, isn't that cute!?! LOL

You are quite welcome. I can't believe we got JOHN'S answers before Lindsey!! LOL
Old 04-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have never imagined that John was so chatty! His answers are great, especially when you compare then with Stevie's usual five-word brush off responses.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You seem so quiet and reserved on stage. Are you the same off stage as on stage?
Hi Jackie,
"Quite and reserved"! Mmmmm! I guess you're right! However, a couple of beers does change that sometimes! Doing interviews, when they finally get 'round to me, it's all been said!
So according to John, give him a few beers before a concert and HE Will start doing the Gold Dust Woman wail

He Will Burn You Down