The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now that she's surpassed Elvis for the most Billboard top 1o hits - she's had 37 - I'm sure Madonna will accept her irrelevancy and the fact that she's a slut.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Man, your friends are so hip and cool. Can you guys teach us children and queers to be like you?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for reminding us "queers" that only bigots decide what music is of value.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

does this mean I have to turn in my queer card for thinking that Madonna is an artistically talent challenged hoax?Well maybe not I do love Stevie Nicks and ABBA!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

The NAMECALLING post was removed, for its insulting content.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
does this mean I have to turn in my queer card . . . .
Only 80% of it

Seriously, Madonna's talent is not her voice. It never was.

Her talent is her ability to dance (still the heavy emphasis in her tours and videos) and her ability to be the mouthpiece for some of the more talented producers and innovative musicians of the last 25 years. She also has a talent for pushing the envelope of convention. I cannot really think of anyone like her or forget that in like 1983, there was nobody like her at all, save possibly for Cyndi Lauper in that they were both very quirky and made this great music. La Lauper, though, actually has a great voice. But, I love Madonna's stuff and think she is very talented in those areas.

I also think to call her a fluke or say that she was a slut therefore she made it ignores the facts. If you want to say she made it bacause she understood how to manipulate the public by shocking them, I will grant you that, though she also had slammin' music to back it up.

I also think she can act in a limited way. She was wonderful in Evita and Desp. Seeking Susan. Then again, like Winonna Ryder paying crazy, Madonna was merely playing herself in those two parts.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Well, let me know when you write a song even a 10th as good as the epic Cortez The Killer or the "cheesy" tale of heroin abuse and death, The Needle And The Damage Done. Thanks.

And yeah, the legend that is Dave Matthews is still producing awesome music while other Farm Aid performers such as Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, Emmylou Harris and Bob Dylan, haven't produced anything worthwhile in years. Okaaaaay.
Buy my album and you'll see I have written songs as good as those. Okay, I did forget about Needles and the Damage done. It is a pretty good song, but not exactly in the top 500 of the decade even. It's a song that is very good for a folk singer in a coffee shop. In fact, I've heard better from guys at coffee shops.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
He first got famous as a member of Buffalo Springfield. He is a master songwriter and singer and I enjoy his work very much, both studio and live. He plays:
Guitar
Harmonica
Piano
Ukulele

When I saw him live for the first time at a Bridge School Benefit, I was completely blown away.
I don't know if you can call what he does "playing". It is all at an extremely rudimentary level. His "singing" is better described as moaning and croaking. LOL! One poster pointed out The Needle and the Damage done which is a good song, I will admit. Please tell me someone who doesn't cringe at "Keep on Rocking". LOL!
Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
. . . How did Neil Young even get famous?! He can't really play, he CANNOT sing, and I hate his songs because they're so darn cheesy . . . .
Quote:
I don't know if you can call what he does "playing". It is all at an extremely rudimentary level . . . .
To each their own, but, objectively - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Young

I am not a huge fan of his, but I respect the talent

Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Only 80% of it

Seriously, Madonna's talent is not her voice. It never was.

Her talent is her ability to dance (still the heavy emphasis in her tours and videos) and her ability to be the mouthpiece for some of the more talented producers and innovative musicians of the last 25 years. She also has a talent for pushing the envelope of convention. I cannot really think of anyone like her or forget that in like 1983, there was nobody like her at all, save possibly for Cyndi Lauper in that they were both very quirky and made this great music. La Lauper, though, actually has a great voice. But, I love Madonna's stuff and think she is very talented in those areas.

I also think to call her a fluke or say that she was a slut therefore she made it ignores the facts. If you want to say she made it bacause she understood how to manipulate the public by shocking them, I will grant you that, though she also had slammin' music to back it up.

I also think she can act in a limited way. She was wonderful in Evita and Desp. Seeking Susan. Then again, like Winonna Ryder paying crazy, Madonna was merely playing herself in those two parts.
I'd say she's a master manipulator and has gotten where she is largely because of image and not any innate performance talent. She has an okay voice and I don't know if she plays anything or not. She is an excellent songwriter, far better than Neil Young. LOL! )Have to take another jab at the guy......) Like A Prayer, La Isle Bonita, Crazy for You, Music, Cherish, and many others are all wonderful songs. I just think there has to be a point where you put the slut image behind you and try to have some dignity. I think a 50 something year old women in an S & M outfit isn't sexy, it's just pathetic.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . I think a 50 something year old women in an S & M outfit isn't sexy, it's just pathetic.
Apparently not to millions of people world wide. I mean you have your opinion and all, but I'd venture to say you are vastly out numbered.

Also, what exactly constitutes a slut? I say this in an historical way. She has inspired fashion since 1982 ish. So, if dressing like a slut is what she does, then seemingly women for the last 25 or so years are doing that as well. i get she did a nudie book, but that was 16 or so years ago. Also, I might agree with you in general if that 50 year old woman looked even 40. But, Madonna's body looks like she is in her 30's. Finally, dignity is how one judge's oneself, not how others judge another. For all we know, she has lots of dignity. Who am I to judge her about that?

Also, she is a highly trained and very good dancer, which is performace talent.

I think it is interesting that the two you attack are also heavily anti war - I think I see a correlation

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-23-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Man, your friends are so hip and cool
How would you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Can you guys teach us children and queers to be like you?
You're standing in a long line.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ya know -- I always seem to miss the name calling and bickering by like 10 minutes

Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
His "singing" is better described as moaning and croaking.
I feel like we're talking about Bob Dylan or Stevie Nicks.

I don't know about moaning and croaking. Have you heard 'Old Man' or even better 'War of Man?' His voice is pure and golden. He doesn't really have a rasp.

Too each his own of course.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Ya know -- I always seem to miss the name calling and bickering by like 10 minutes
What happened? I didn't call anyone names. Perhaps I missed it too as my post is deleted.
Sheesh.