User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I agree Tom's death is not a factor, despite many wanting to make it one.

But....Jimmy Page?? I mean, yeah, I guess if he didn't care what he played and just wanted to get back on a posh tour (reminds me of an interview with Michael Caine talking about various movies he'd done and why he'd done them and he said about certain films "I did it for the money" or "I did it because I wanted to work with a certain director and didn't care that the movie wasn't that good"). (to be clear, I think FM's music is good...duh!) Otherwise, I can't realllllly see Jimmy Page being a support player for a twirling chick -- both onstage and offstage, as she is indeed now effectively running the band and calling the shots.

Also, musically, I just don't see his playing fitting their hits. Sure, the old FM blues stuff, but really, you can imagine him trying to adapt his style to play the required bits on Dreams, Gypsy, Never Going Back Again, Little Lies, etc etc??????? Before anyone freaks, I'm not saying he can't play the songs, but the guitar parts on any FM song are more melodic and integrated into supporting the song, not about showing off scorching solos, and don't have big, driving chords (esp not Stevie's songs, where he'd essentially be playing the same one or two chords throughout).

When I first read that suggestion from SteveMacD I though 'what the ****?'
It was the most ridiculous thing I'd read in....ages.
But you know what....? its actually not that far fetched. I bet Jimmy would do it just to p!ss of Plant. Yes, he's pretty much idle at the moment. He loves touring. He loves the big life. Yes- I bet he probably would have said yes.

As Steve points out; Stevie...see Robert Plant

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
He’s kind of in the same boat as Mick and John. Without a singer, he doesn’t really have a job.

Any worse than Robert Plant?

I get what you’re saying. The thing is, Zeppelin had that mystical side as well as the blusier stuff. Stairway, Battle Of Evermore, Babe I’m Gonna Leave You, etc. Plus, the violin bow thing would be cool AF on GDW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
When I first read that suggestion from SteveMacD I though 'what the ****?'
It was the most ridiculous thing I'd read in....ages.
But you know what....? its actually not that far fetched. I bet Jimmy would do it just to p!ss of Plant. Yes, he's pretty much idle at the moment. He loves touring. He loves the big life. Yes- I bet he probably would have said yes.

As Steve points out; Stevie...see Robert Plant

So basically, then, he'd be doing it for all the Michael Caine reasons.

Fair enough. I don't know the politics and band dynamics within Zeppelin so will have to defer to you guys on that one. But isn't it funny the sort of predictable relationships across most bands between the lead guitarist and the singer. I watched a recent clip of Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend doing something together live and Pete couldn't help take a swipe at Roger -- something to the effect of how Roger never wrote any of the songs, how he, Pete, did all the work musically. Roger refused to be drawn in and just said, "I still love you anyway, Pete".

Not knowing the inner workings of Led Zeppelin I am only able to try and imagine it musically, and I still see FM as on the whole far more pop than Zeppelin and a weird transition to plug Page into.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
So basically, then, he'd be doing it for all the Michael Caine reasons.
He can close his eyes and take the money with the best of them.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He can close his eyes and take the money with the best of them.
that's another guy's prerogative. the guy who's responsible for existence of 75% of all those songs they are playing.

Jimmy Page is an actual bigger name than anyone in FM. him joining (which he would never even consider, planes or arenas notwithstanding) would never sit well with the diva ruling that roost right now.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Jimmy Page is an actual bigger name than anyone in FM. him joining (which he would never even consider, planes or arenas notwithstanding) would never sit well with the diva ruling that roost right now.
Except, what else is he doing? Zeppelin isn’t getting back together any time soon. Hell, he was in The Firm with Paul Rodgers, did an album and tour with David Coverdale, and did an album and tour with the Black Crowes. Of course he’d do it. Fleetwood Mac isn’t beneath him.

As for Stevie, it’s not like Page is a singer, so it’s not like he’d steal her spotlight.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Google "Jimmy Page and Lori Maddox" and tell me again that adding him to FM would be a good idea. I mean, all the big Rock'n Roll bands had their share of underage Groupies, but Jimmy Page is one of the worst offenders (besides David Bowie, Steven Tyler and (this Rolling Stones bass-player who was so boring that his name escapes me all the time) Bill Wymann). Robert Plant is not available because he is busy with his own projects, he does not sit around waiting for a gig.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Google "Jimmy Page and Lori Maddox" and tell me again that adding him to FM would be a good idea. I mean, all the big Rock'n Roll bands had their share of underage Groupies, but Jimmy Page is one of the worst offenders (besides David Bowie, Steven Tyler and (this Rolling Stones bass-player who was so boring that his name escapes me all the time) Bill Wymann). Robert Plant is not available because he is busy with his own projects, he does not sit around waiting for a gig.
Equally bad was Ted Nugent.... getting his teenaged girlfriend's mother to sign over her parental rights to him and making him her legal guardian.....
Old 11-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I for one never said it would be a good idea....and I certainly do not know him or about him well enough to pass judgement on his behaviour with underage groupies. All I personally said is that I think there's a good chance he'd have taken the gig if he'd been offered it. I'm not sure Steve suggested it as a good idea either- again, I just think he said he'd have been available and there's a decent chance he'd have said yes.

Fleetwood Mac are far more 'pop' than Led Zeppelin... but Jimmy Page can turn his hand to anything. And its a job. And it would have been a middle finger to RP.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't even fathom the levels of delusion that are required for someone to genuinely think that Jimmy Page of all people would join Fleetwood Mac in the year 2018.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I can't even fathom the levels of delusion that are required for someone to genuinely think that Jimmy Page of all people would join Fleetwood Mac in the year 2018.
Hmmm. What makes you feel this way dreamsunwind?

Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Hmmm. What makes you feel this way dreamsunwind?
He's one of the most famous great, great guitar players of all time. People put him right up at the top with Hendrix and Clapton. From one of the biggest great, great rock bands. Is there a band aside from The Beatles or The Stones that was bigger than Led Zeppelin? There's literally no reason to think he would have any interest in joining Fleetwood Mac and play a bunch of Lindsey Buckingham parts on their greatest hits tour when they're all 70. As much as I love the band, it would be beneath him lol.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry all this talk of Jimmy Page was kicked off by my aside "with Mike Campbell now available."

I realize now that I could have, without mentioning Campbell, left it at "they decided in November 2017 to fire Lindsey but couldn't make any move until after the Musicares event."

Jimmy Page hasn't toured in about 20 years. He has more money than Campbell and Finn put together x20 (at least).

There is no way he would have joined Fleetwood Mac.

Yes, they could have found someone other than Mike Campbell, but there is no way Jimmy Page would have joined.

Mick Taylor, formerly of the Rolling Stones, would perhaps have been a possibility, but Campbell (at least at this stage) is a better player.

Last edited by cbBen; 11-08-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
He's one of the most famous great, great guitar players of all time. People put him right up at the top with Hendrix and Clapton. From one of the biggest great, great rock bands. Is there a band aside from The Beatles or The Stones that was bigger than Led Zeppelin? There's literally no reason to think he would have any interest in joining Fleetwood Mac and play a bunch of Lindsey Buckingham parts on their greatest hits tour when they're all 70. As much as I love the band, it would be beneath him lol.

...and that was exactly my initial reaction.
Then you realise he's idle not though choice but because he doesn't have a band to play with. More than anything he wants to write/tour/record with Led Zep but Robert Plant isn't interested. He comes across as quite sad to no longer have that in his life. He's tried putting his own band together in recent times but it hasn't come off. Of course he doesn't need the money but I don't think the idea that its 'beneath him' would come into it. He just likes playing live music to big audiences. Not saying he'd definitely have said yes, but I think there's a decent chance.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Google "Jimmy Page and Lori Maddox" and tell me again that adding him to FM would be a good idea.

Funny how Lori doesn’t seem to have any regrets.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Funny how Lori doesn’t seem to have any regrets.
actually not true. In the years since she began seeing it differently.