The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which Of These "Post-Rumours" lineup album do you like more?
Behind The Mask-1990 25 71.43%
Time- 1995 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelD View Post
BTM!
Didn't really give Time the time of day... no pun intended.
No Christine, no Stevie, no interest... might have to revisit though.
Christine has 5 songs on Time, most of which are excellent.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, Christine. (and Lindsey's even on one track)
Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Christine has 5 songs on Time, most of which are excellent.
You beat me to it, Mary Anne!
Time's a pretty good album. And yeah, BTM sounds like crap. Whoever mastered that album needs to go reclaim their job at Burger King!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
BTM!
Didn't really give Time the time of day... no pun intended.
I did see this incarnation of the band open for CSN at Red Rocks....
Christine is on Time. she just didn't tour that's all.

I voted for BTM because, as many have said although the production is a bit dodgy, the songs are quite good.

Time has some good songs on it but I cannot stand These Strange Times and also what the hell was Dave Mason doing on a FM album?

Fleetwood Mac should be a five piece band with no Daves!

Gail
Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Fleetwood Mac should be a five piece band with no Daves!

Gail
Yeah, both Daves just didn't seem to be right for Fleetwood Mac.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Yeah, both Daves just didn't seem to be right for Fleetwood Mac.
Agreed. But then again, I don't think Bekka was right for FM either *hides*
Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva View Post
What basis do you have for this???
Bekka is a great singer(way better than you know who!), and had this lineup been given a chance, I think they really could've amounted to something.

There ARE just too many people who wouldn't give ANYONE a chance in those shoes. (IMO)
Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
What basis do you have for this???
Bekka is a great singer(way better than you know who!), and had this lineup been given a chance, I think they really could've amounted to something.

There ARE just too many people who wouldn't give ANYONE a chance in those shoes. (IMO)
It was just a personal opinion - I like her, but I don't like her for FM.

For starters, there was too much similarity to Stevie - so it came off like she was a cheap replacement. Secondly, she didn't write her own songs, she doesn't play any instruments - what does she really bring to the band apart from her looks and her voice

And I don't like any other woman for FM apart from Stevie and Christine - another personal opinion.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For starters, there was too much similarity to Stevie - so it came off like she was a cheap replacement.
How so? Other than blonde hair, I don't see any similarity. In fact, I'd say there was more similarity, at least visually, to Christine than Stevie. In terms of voice, it's like comparing Grace Slick to Mavis Staples.

Quote:
Secondly, she didn't write her own songs, she doesn't play any instruments - what does she really bring to the band apart from her looks and her voice
With the last name "Bramlett," most music fans and insiders were more interested in her singing than anything else. I know when I heard about Bekka on Mick's album, my first question was "any relation to Delaney & Bonnie," and my second was "does she sound like her mother". So, her voice is her primary instrument. (Kind of a weird question. "What does a singer really bring to a rock band, apart from her voice?" )

Having a chick in the band has been a part of Fleetwood Mac's identity since 1970. With Christine retired from the road and Stevie out of the band, it created the need for another female. So she didn't write songs. Lots of singers don't write their own songs. I don't believe Janis Joplin was a songwriter. I know her most popular songs were penned by others. Yet Stevie fans don't diminish the worth of Janis like they do Bekka.

Where people make the mistake with Bekka is comparing her to Stevie. Christine is a much nicer comparison. Christine was a good keyboardist when she joined, but her singing and songwriting paled in comparison to her later work. She DEVELOPED into the Christine McVie that wrote a butt load of hit songs. If "Future Games" was all we knew of Christine, we'd like her, but wouldn't be utterly in awe/blown away by her, especially when put up against Peter Green just a year and change earlier.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-01-2007 at 10:09 PM..
Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^What.he.said.too.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as Dave Mason goes, just remember, when he joined the band, there were no other guitarists. So, really, Billy Burnette coming back to the group may be partially responsible for why it didn't work. I'm not blaming Billy. It's just that the vision Mick had when putting the group together changed after Billy came back, since it became very clear in a short period of time that there was a chemistry between Bekka and Billy. If he hadn't left the band, they might have realized fairly quickly that there was something between Bekka and Billy, gotten a lead guitarist who didn't sing (i.e. Greg Wright) and focus on the Bekka-Billy dynamic a bit more.

Still, with no guitarists or male vocalists, Dave Mason, especially considering his past AOR creds and his history with the Bramlett family, was a fairly obvious choice at the time. Billy's return pretty much negated the value of having Dave in the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
How so? Other than blonde hair, I don't see any similarity. In fact, I'd say there was more similarity, at least visually, to Christine than Stevie. In terms of voice, it's like comparing Grace Slick to Mavis Staples.
I wasn't talking about the voice at all, but to me, she looked like a mid-70s Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Having a chick in the band has been a part of Fleetwood Mac's identity since 1970. With Christine retired from the road and Stevie out of the band, it created the need for another female. So she didn't write songs. Lots of singers don't write their own songs. I don't believe Janis Joplin was a songwriter. I know her most popular songs were penned by others. Yet Stevie fans don't diminish the worth of Janis like they do Bekka.
Janis Joplin wrote alot of her own songs, not the famous ones you hear on radio, but she did write her own songs.

On your other point, I don't see how apart from the touring aspect, why another female was necessary for FM. They could get away with replacing guitarists, because FM needs a guitarist - but replacing either two females, like it or not, who were the main focal point of the band, would never work...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Janis Joplin wrote alot of her own songs, not the famous ones you hear on radio, but she did write her own songs.
And, so does Bekka...she just didn't have her own songs on the one & only Fleetwood Mac album she was a part of. Faith Hill has made a BUNDLE on songs written by Bekka

Quote:
On your other point, I don't see how apart from the touring aspect, why another female was necessary for FM. They could get away with replacing guitarists, because FM needs a guitarist - but replacing either two females, like it or not, who were the main focal point of the band, would never work...
And, you DO know that Grace Slick wasn't the original singer for Jefferson Airplane, right?

I think your logic in this is just skewed, insanely skewed.

If Fleetwood Mac would've just packed it in when Peter Green left, then we wouldn't have all this "Stevie/Bekka" bull****...because we all know that Fleetwood Mac, for all intents, was just crap once Peter left.

Yes, there was a bucketload of sarcasm in my last comment.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think although Bekka is a good singer she was always going to be compared to Stevie seeing as she was out front as "the singer". It was unfair but then she must have known that was going to happen.

Sheer technical ability alone is never enough to succeed in rock music. I'm sure there are many more technically gifted keyboard players than Christine but what she does (sorry did) with Fleetwood Mac was perfect (pun intended).

Gail
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the voice at all, but to me, she looked like a mid-70s Stevie
I just don't see it. The styles were pretty different to my eyes. Certainly no chiffon on Bekka's part. Even they way they moved around on stage was different. The only thing I see them having in common is blonde hair.

Quote:
But, again, not the hits. Bekka was just developing in that area. I think Bekka has written or co-written a lot of great songs since leaving the band.

Quote:
On your other point, I don't see how apart from the touring aspect, why another female was necessary for FM.
If they stopped touring altogether, or if Christine decided to tour again, then I agree there wouldn't have been the need for Bekka. But they were a touring band, and it wouldn't make sense to have somebody who wasn't a member of the band fronting it on at least 30% of the show.

Quote:
They could get away with replacing guitarists, because FM needs a guitarist - but replacing either two females, like it or not, who were the main focal point of the band, would never work...
I wish I could agree. But their tours were done before the album was released, and they stopped touring right as the album was released. They never really gave Bekka a shot at fronting the band behind an album she appeared on. I think there would have been further changes in personnel, but I think if they had focused the band around Bekka and Billy, things would have been much better.

THE Stephen Hopkins