Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Buckingham Nicks Missing Multi-Tracks

I was reading through Ken Callait's Q&A session, and I'm confused by what he meant about the Buckingham Nicks multi-tracks being lost. Is this a major problem for the album to ever be re-released? I've included the question and answer below.

Hi Ken, I was wondering what the chances are of the other FM albums (especially Tusk) being rereleased on DVD-Audio? I'd think this would be a great way to also rerelease B-sides that never saw the light of day past singles before, like you did with Rumours on Silver Springs. Also, do you know if there's any chance we could see a compilation DVD of all of the Fleetwood Mac, Stevie, Lindsey, Chris and Mick's Zoo music videos? Thanks sooo much for taking the time to do this! (Brian Shoop, Cornwall, Pennsylvania, USA)

I'd like to see all the Mac albums out in DVD-Audio. My thoughts were the "Best of Tusk' or the "Greatest Hits". It would really help me, as well as the band, if all of you could vote on what you would like to hear next in DVD-Audio. Tell us! Mirage? Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood Mac? Tango in the Night? Buckingham Nicks? the Zoo? The problem is we can't find the multi-tracks of Buckingham/Nicks. I'll pay $$$$ if anyone can help find the tapes. Thank you for taking your time to ask me these questions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippilil86 View Post
I was reading through Ken Callait's Q&A session, and I'm confused by what he meant about the Buckingham Nicks multi-tracks being lost. Is this a major problem for the album to ever be re-released? I've included the question and answer below.

Q: Hi Ken, I was wondering what the chances are of the other FM albums (especially Tusk) being rereleased on DVD-Audio? I'd think this would be a great way to also rerelease B-sides that never saw the light of day past singles before, like you did with Rumours on Silver Springs. Also, do you know if there's any chance we could see a compilation DVD of all of the Fleetwood Mac, Stevie, Lindsey, Chris and Mick's Zoo music videos? Thanks sooo much for taking the time to do this! (Brian Shoop, Cornwall, Pennsylvania, USA)

A: I'd like to see all the Mac albums out in DVD-Audio. My thoughts were the "Best of Tusk' or the "Greatest Hits". It would really help me, as well as the band, if all of you could vote on what you would like to hear next in DVD-Audio. Tell us! Mirage? Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood Mac? Tango in the Night? Buckingham Nicks? the Zoo? The problem is we can't find the multi-tracks of Buckingham/Nicks. I'll pay $$$$ if anyone can help find the tapes. Thank you for taking your time to ask me these questions.
For real? I was under the impression Stevie and Lindsey own the masters and are in possession (in some manager's safe somewhere). So, are master's and "multi tracks" two separate things? If Tom Moncrieff and Kim Anderson believed BN could be released 10 years ago... and Stevie told Tom that Keith Olsen was the hold up back then... what's the real scoop?

Of course, I still think it will be released and they're just playing a cat and mouse game... Otherwise, why would Lindsey have re-recorded "Stephanie"?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I remember at one point, the Masters were missing for Buckingham Nicks. Then they were discovered, but in tentative condition. From what I've gathered, Stevie is waiting for Lindsey (and vice versa) to agree as to when to re-release BN. Which I honestly don't see happening anytime soon, since the collapse of the traditional recording industry due to digital downloads. I think if we get an official version of BN, it will be down the road a ways... perhaps when either Stevie or Lindsey dies, or when one or the other retires completely. If it were a priority, they would have piggybacked it's release with The Dance, or even Say You Will. They would have found a way to make it happen by now if it really was important to them.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I remember at one point, the Masters were missing for Buckingham Nicks. Then they were discovered, but in tentative condition. From what I've gathered, Stevie is waiting for Lindsey (and vice versa) to agree as to when to re-release BN. Which I honestly don't see happening anytime soon, since the collapse of the traditional recording industry due to digital downloads. I think if we get an official version of BN, it will be down the road a ways... perhaps when either Stevie or Lindsey dies, or when one or the other retires completely. If it were a priority, they would have piggybacked it's release with The Dance, or even Say You Will. They would have found a way to make it happen by now if it really was important to them.
Yes, Lindsey has said they were waiting for the right marketing tool to come along... like they're not thinking of that or already have it planned. They've only had **muffled** years to think about it. Destiny doesn't rule - business does!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Ledgie

The multitrack tape is used for the two track stereo master. Commercial releases are produced from the stereo mix after the tape has been sent to a mastering house.

A new stereo master can be created from the muti-track recording. A re-mastering of an original two track stereo mix can also be done. Re-mastering a stereo master tape can be done with limited results but it cannot be re-mixed.

At best, re-mastering a once mastered stereo mix can be cleaned up and some frequency manipulation can be performed.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
The multitrack tape is used for the two track stereo master. Commercial releases are produced from the stereo mix after the tape has been sent to a mastering house.

A new stereo master can be created from the muti-track recording. A re-mastering of an original two track stereo mix can also be done. Re-mastering a stereo master tape can be done with limited results but it cannot be re-mixed.

At best, re-mastering a once mastered stereo mix can be cleaned up and some frequency manipulation can be performed.
Gotcha. So, it could be re-released as a remastered version - but the ideal would be to remix it altogether (from original multi track)? I can see how LB may be interested in doing that, but then again he has said why not just release it as is - he said something like "it is what it is"...
Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Ledgie

I think the original sounded fine. I bought a new copy of the album in '78. The recording was very clean and well engineered and mastered.

I agree with Lindsey. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Sounds like it can be done......but for various reasons....its not happend which is kinda sad really.....
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Sounds like it can be done......but for various reasons....its not happend which is kinda sad really.....
Stevie's latest quote on it was - "we will make sure it happens."
Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe they used the master tapes for the Enchanted Box release
Long Distance Winner.

And also on Lindsey's promo-CD Words and Music Stephanie,
which I highly recommend to anyone who doesn't have it.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Aha.... So it may not necessarily matter that the multi-tracks are missing. Thanks for the info, guys! It doesn't hurt to hope that this will come out, eventually, hopefully before Lindsey and Stevie retire or die.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So basically they don't have ANY excuse for not releasing it.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
They would have found a way to make it happen by now if it really was important to them.
Louie, I completely agree with you on this.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

And also on Lindsey's promo-CD Words and Music Stephanie,
which I highly recommend to anyone who doesn't have it.
What cd is this? I haven't heard of it and would love to check it out.

Also, how do you quite from various messages in one reply? I've seen many others do it before and it would have saved me having to post 2 replies (see theone above). Thanks.

Al.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
What cd is this? I haven't heard of it and would love to check it out.

Also, how do you quite from various messages in one reply? I've seen many others do it before and it would have saved me having to post 2 replies (see theone above). Thanks.

Al.
The only way I know how to do it is to hit quote and respond in the reply box, then copy, hit back on the browser, then go to the next one and do the same, pasting the quote and reply that I just made into the new reply box.