Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 100 Best Albums Of The Decade

I'm not sure if anyone else had read this, but Rolling Stone released their "100 Best Albums Of The Decade" recently, and there is no Fleetwood Mac, or any of the artists associated with them. Say You Will, to me, is amazing and i believe deserving to be on there. Or what about Gift of Screws, Trouble in Shangri-La, or In The Meantime? Here's the link: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto..._the_decade/44

So do you all think some of the albums on there aren't as deserving? Because i certainly believe that Say You Will should be in the top ten
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

of the Decade......Not a chance,
Defo not, be lucky to even have something in the top 500

Im my opinion yeah sure GOS would be in the top 10 or 20 and SYW maybe in the top 50. But Not to Rolling Stone.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, that doesn't really surprise me that SYW is missing from the list.

I hardly like a single one of their choices.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
Yeah, that doesn't really surprise me that SYW is missing from the list.

I hardly like a single one of their choices.
yeah, its seems to me that they wanted to just appear hip by choosing a ton of indie albums. most of which are definitely not good.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can't say I disagree with Rolling Stone for not including the Mac/solo albums... and that's rare. Fleetwood Mac, nor it's solo members really made any landmark albums this decade. Nobody did anything ground breaking, nobody reinvented themselves. Nobody had a breakout success. None of the albums changed the music biz. None of the albums had a lasting impact on the artists catalogue of materials. None of the albums had an impact on the genre, or influenced fellow artists. I could continue... but y'all get the point.

That's not to detract anything from the band and it's solo member's albums. I think In The Meantime, Gift Of Screws, and Trouble In Shangri La all rank among the best solo albums of Christine's, Lindsey's, and Stevie's solo careers. But that doesn't make them any more substantive in the presence of the sum of ALL albums recorded this decade. For better, worse, or indifference artists like Amy Winehouse, Coldplay, Alicia Keys, and others came on the scene in this decade, and forever changed popular music, and left an indelible mark on the entire recording scene. You just can't say that for any of the Fleetwood Mac/solo ventures.

Granted, I think some albums are definitely left off this list (Taylor Swift has single handedly reinvented Country and Pop music in my eyes)... and some albums desperately need to be taken off (do we really need multiple Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem, Radiohead, and Dylan albums listed??). And I definitely will agree that scanning this list it's very typical Rolling Stone: elitist, pompous, out of touch, and purposefully inflammatory. But I still don't think the Mac/Solo ventures belong on the list necessarily either.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
yeah, its seems to me that they wanted to just appear hip by choosing a ton of indie albums. most of which are definitely not good.
What ones aren't good?

I think there's a lot of great stuff on that list although I'd argue why some are there and not others but that's the general purpose of lists like this: they are not definitive, they're just a bunch of opinions.

I'm surprised that anyone would have thought Say You Will would have been a contender for the decade's best. I love it and it would probably be in my list but it's not like it got overwhelmingly positive praise when it was first released. I know I didn't see many five star reviews. In fact I'd be surprised if it made it on many magazine's lists of the best albums of 2003 let alone the decade.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post

Granted, I think some albums are definitely left off this list (Taylor Swift has single handedly reinvented Country and Pop music in my eyes)... and some albums desperately need to be taken off (do we really need multiple Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem, Radiohead, and Dylan albums listed??). And I definitely will agree that scanning this list it's very typical Rolling Stone: elitist, pompous, out of touch, and purposefully inflammatory. But I still don't think the Mac/Solo ventures belong on the list necessarily either.
And Coldplay and U2! I think they've pretty much included all their releases of the past decade on there. But I don't agree it's that elitist, it is pretty predictable though.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
What ones aren't good?
Well I personally do not like Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, or The Postal Service(I much prefer Death Cab). Plus, there are 3 U2 albums on the list, and just as previously mentioned Kanye and Eminem repeats. The only impact those two artists makes are controversial ones, as of late at least, and I have always been a huge Kanye fan. Maybe Say You Will wasn't groundbreaking, but it made just as big, if not bigger, an impact as the indie bands which did so to only the small group of people who listen to it.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gift of Screws was probably my favorite mac related album of this decade with Say Yow Will second but it doesnt bother me that neither of those are on there. Well actually I hate greatest hits albums but theres something special about both Crystal Visions and Soundstage that they are actually up there too. But theres no way either of those 2 would or should be on that list.

But Wow the real travesty is not one of Neil Young's Awseome albums this decade made that list. Greendale was the best album of the decade hands down to me and maybe of NY's career especially if we're talking about breaking ground. Prarie Wind also needs to be on that list, since in my opinion it improves on both Harvest and Harvest Moon. And then there's his most recent album Chrome Dreams II which is nothing out of the ordinary but I just think its a danmed good album. Actually his most recent album was Fork in the Road which really really sucks, but thats a huge advantage to putting out new material almost yearly it's OK for some of it to suck. Stevie Lindsey and the gang shouls be doing the same. Just release everything and stop thinking about, your average is bound to be way better then 50 percent!

Wow I just got off on some serious tangents. Wheres Trackaghost to agree with me on said tangents.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I personally do not like Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, or The Postal Service(I much prefer Death Cab). Plus, there are 3 U2 albums on the list, and just as previously mentioned Kanye and Eminem repeats. The only impact those two artists makes are controversial ones, as of late at least, and I have always been a huge Kanye fan. Maybe Say You Will wasn't groundbreaking, but it made just as big, if not bigger, an impact as the indie bands which did so to only the small group of people who listen to it.
I love Bon Iver but I actually agree with you about the others but at the same time those were hugely acclaimed albums when they were first released and a lot of people loved them. I know they were being recommended to me all the time. Certainly I'd say more people loved those albums and had them as the soundtrack to their lives than Gift Of Screws or Say You Will. You can't deny Vampire Weekend had the indie kids in a tizzy and had more of a cultural impact than Fleetwood Mac's recent projects have had in the past decade. I also don't agree that alternative acts have only a small audience, I'd say a lot of those bands, such as The Strokes and The White Stripes crossed over to the mainstream.
I also don't agree Eminem's and Kanye's impact has purely been controversial. Like them or loathe them their impact and influence on rap music has been pretty massive.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Under the Skin is the only real Mac release of the decade that belongs on a list like this -- even though I absolutely loved SYW and GoS, Under the Skin is really unique and noteworthy in that respect. It deserves to be acknowledged but probably won't be -- except as an underappreciated gem.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Gift of Screws was probably my favorite mac related album of this decade with Say Yow Will second but it doesnt bother me that neither of those are on there. Well actually I hate greatest hits albums but theres something special about both Crystal Visions and Soundstage that they are actually up there too. But theres no way either of those 2 would or should be on that list.

But Wow the real travesty is not one of Neil Young's Awseome albums this decade made that list. Greendale was the best album of the decade hands down to me and maybe of NY's career especially if we're talking about breaking ground. Prarie Wind also needs to be on that list, since in my opinion it improves on both Harvest and Harvest Moon. And then there's his most recent album Chrome Dreams II which is nothing out of the ordinary but I just think its a danmed good album. Actually his most recent album was Fork in the Road which really really sucks, but thats a huge advantage to putting out new material almost yearly it's OK for some of it to suck. Stevie Lindsey and the gang shouls be doing the same. Just release everything and stop thinking about, your average is bound to be way better then 50 percent!

Wow I just got off on some serious tangents. Wheres Trackaghost to agree with me on said tangents.
Well, I have to admit I can't quite agree about Greendale, I like the idea of it but it has never been one of my favourite Neil Young albums, but Prairie Wind and Chrome Dreams II definitely. I'd go as far to say that Prairie Wind is maybe his most moving, beautiful album. I think when Neil had that brain aneurysm it really made him reflect on his life and it shows in the music big time. Also, I think Living With War is quite underrated. It's probably his most passionate, energetic album of recent years imo.
I mean, I do love Dylan and enjoy many of his recent albums but I have to admit I sometimes I think they are a little overrated because people worship Bob so much, which I know is a blasphemous thing to say to some. I would definitely like to see one less Dylan album in there and at least one Neil album.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I can't say I disagree with Rolling Stone for not including the Mac/solo albums... and that's rare. Fleetwood Mac, nor it's solo members really made any landmark albums this decade. Nobody did anything ground breaking, nobody reinvented themselves. Nobody had a breakout success. None of the albums changed the music biz. None of the albums had a lasting impact on the artists catalogue of materials. None of the albums had an impact on the genre, or influenced fellow artists. I could continue... but y'all get the point.
THANK YOU!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
Under the Skin is the only real Mac release of the decade that belongs on a list like this -- even though I absolutely loved SYW and GoS, Under the Skin is really unique and noteworthy in that respect. It deserves to be acknowledged but probably won't be -- except as an underappreciated gem.
I agree, artistically I think UTS is leaps and bounds above a lot of stuff on this list. But, apart from a few critics, it was barely noticed by the public so it doesn't surprise me it's not on this list although in deserves to be. There's nothing too obscure on RS's list. it's all pretty popular stuff despite the lack of any true pop albums on there, which is surprising.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I LOVE BON IVER AND VAMPIRE WEEKEND

Besides that I agree with you too (argh, kanye west )