The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Since tomorrow is December 8th I thought I'd bump this up...

I grew up listening to the Beatles and, like a lot of people, their music, words, voices have been ingrained in my subconscious for the better part of my life. For that alone, John's accomplishments as a musical artist should be exhumed in the panels of history for years to come. But he was so much more.

I have a great love and admiration for many different artists. Their music has moved me or left some kind of impact on my life, for whatever reason. And there will absolutely be more that I have not heard who will probably have a similar affect. But none of them can compare to John or how deeply his music has moved me. He is my absolute favorite, bar none (yup, not even Lindsey). And that will always be. I can't explain it or bother to try. And those who still can't understand him or think he's "overrated" or he reached his legendary status due to untimely death, well, that's on you. His music is otherworldly to me, and his person was blunt, honest, and hilarious. He never pretended to be anything but a flawed human who tried his best to do it right, openly admitting when he did not. And that is something rare to find these days: a famous person who isn't posing about for some hidden agenda or portraying themselves as some perfect, saint-like humanitarian.

He was enigmatic, troubled, sweet, cruel, funny, smart, quick, and absolutely fascinating. He opened himself up and he let people judge him, and he pursued his dreams without giving an eff what other people thought. There was so much about him that was just so very, very cool.

And that's how I feel about John Lennon. I'm grateful we had him for whatever time and so thankful for the music he made that I grew up with. He's forever the greatest to me, and even if I've heard an interview 100 times I can still laugh, be inspired, and drawn in. He's like the anti-dull. Love him.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 10-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

~Remembering John Lennon~ I'm sitting here on my computer, trying got find a video clip of John Lennon I have where John is confronted by an intruder at his home, and calmly tries to reason with the man. (the video was out there, but the jerks at YouTube pulled it)

A synopsis of it is here: "A homeless man had broken into the Lennon grounds and had been sleeping there. Here we see that the man has an extremely personal connection with John s music and believes it was written just for him. John corrects him and says that his music is for everyone." John's compassion and trustworthy nature is such that he invites the man into his home and offers him breakfast. The man joins John and they eat breakfast together and talk.

This is as far as I got watching this video. The tears rolling down my cheeks made it impossible to watch more. I get tears in my eyes every time I think of that scene, imagining John approaching his killer with the same trust and compassion right before he was murdered.

I'm dating myself when I say that I remember that fateful day all too well. I was 18, and waiting in my Dad's truck while he got supplies for work, listening to the radio. It was cold, dreary and raining. Then they came on and said that John Lennon was dead, and then started playing his music. I broke down crying, sobbing in disbelief. I turned the radio off, I couldn't listen anymore. I cried quietly to myself the rest of the day, trying to hide it from my Dad.

That day still affects me. I can listen to John's music without tears, but if I try and watch anything about his murder, forget it. The tears come and I can't stop them. Trying to find that clip, I saw news reports from the day, the vigil outside The Dakota, an interview with Mark David Chapman…all of them brought tears.

I have no sympathy for Mark David Chapman. I hope he never gets out of prison. If he ever does, I'm sure someone will martyr themselves and take his life. I wish him a horrible, painful death for what he has done. He should have been put to death as soon as it was clear he was absolutely responsible for John's death. It is a travesty of justice that he gets to live, to breath the air, see the sunshine from time to time. while the world mourns the loss of John.

I realize that John would not agree with my opinion, and I am sorry John. While you imagined a world without religion, you were closer to God & Jesus than many could ever hope to be. Long live John Lennon :-)

Last edited by 3rd World Man; 10-10-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't even alive when he died and i miss him everyday. I still get sick when I think of what happened. He shall live on in his music and words forever. R.I.P John.....Love you.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default We Will Never Forget You, John Lennon

Third World Man and bluefox4000.I understand how you feel.I was in my 20's when John Lennon was murdered by that scumbag.It still is very sad how he died.I hope that cowardly killer never gets out of prison either.He can rot in prison the rest of this worthless life.
I agree with you about John. He shall live on in his music and words forever.Also in all our hearts. R.I.P John. We Love you.

Last edited by msLinds; 10-11-2010 at 12:21 AM..
Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face I was 10 years old...

when John Lennon was sadly gunned down in 1980. I remember hearing Howard Cossell during the MNF that John Lennon was shot twice and was DOA at the hospital - That was the first time I can recall seeing my Mom cry, she was a MAJOR Beatles fan (I inherited her collection of Beatles memorabilia, including books, vinyl LP's and even a Beatles telephone that is a double decker Routemaster bus, see the link below for an image of this phone...And I use it as my landline/house phone) and I don't even recall her crying when my Dad died 3 years earlier (I don't recall much from 1977, excepts 3 funerals), I'm sure she cried over Dad, but the Beatles were of some importance because she wanted her kids to like rock 'n' roll...And they were the first band I recall listening to as a child.

I can, to this very moment, recall my Mom's sadness that Monday night back in 1980...My memories are sometimes too vivid.

RIP John

Here's a link to what the telephone looks like:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7087035

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As I stated on my Facebook status over the weekend, the world would be a better place, if John Lennon were still in it.......Imagine! Happy 70th Birthday, John. You are lovingly remembered and sadly missed.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
As I stated on my Facebook status over the weekend, the world would be a better place, if John Lennon were still in it.......Imagine! Happy 70th Birthday, John. You are lovingly remembered and sadly missed.
Here here. One of the great fighters and patriarchs of the working class people sadly lost. I honed my fighting for a cause streak by listening to his music. He was a rarity the likes of which it is doubtful we would ever see again. It's too bad that I missed out on the era I was meant to live through and missed out on being involved in the scene. Darn....I should have been part of Warhol's celebrity artist collection
Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Here here. One of the great fighters and patriarchs of the working class people sadly lost. I honed my fighting for a cause streak by listening to his music. He was a rarity the likes of which it is doubtful we would ever see again. It's too bad that I missed out on the era I was meant to live through and missed out on being involved in the scene. Darn....I should have been part of Warhol's celebrity artist collection
Sounds like we are cut from the same cloth, Silver Springs! I have been told over and over again by SO many people who know me, that I was born at the wrong time and that I should have come of age in the 60s. I love the music, the art, the causes, the clothes, etc. I visited San Fransisco for a week on vacation, and I certainly felt at home there. I did the whole Haight/Ashbury thing, saw a show at the Fillmore, went to Golden Gate Park and the Panhandle, went to all the places that the rock band hung out and lived, etc. It was really awesome. I wish I could have lived it back then about circa 1965-1966.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin