Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Colour Me Pop" 1968 BBC

There was a performance on this show shown in color (American spelling) on BBC TV during the summer of 1968. "Lazy Poker Blues", and "Love That Burns" were played live on TV. The audio of those recordings are the alternate versions from "Jumping At Shadows", and "The Vaudeville Years". The audio of those recordings are poor, which means it's second+ gen recording. Where is the video?

I went to "wiped.com" (a website devoted to lost video, and audio material), and discovered that the show "Colour Me Pop" is in high demand for the videos that still exist of bands from the late 60's. Many claim that the BBC erased their footage right after broadcast, yet someone responded that two years later when Peter Green left the band, the BBC showed this footage in tribute to his departure.

To make this footage more rare, Peter Green is playing his Fender Stratocaster. It doesn't matter the guitar, the tone is amazing!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink Celloid Heroes....

Thanks, slipkid. I didn't know that there was a site dedicated to this magnificent course, bless them....

I went and had a look at the page in question:

http://wipednews.com/2009/03/29/colo...sing-material/

Just think that the BBC had the nerve to erase ANYTHING from this Golden Age of British Music! Who the hell would make a decision like that??? What a loss!!!

A few years back we (here on The Ledge) were discussing the film from Njĺrdhallen, Oslo taped by NKR-TV on the 3rd of october 1969 (screened the next year). Some clips of it are on Youtube or on The Early Years video. The full concert might still be in the vaults according to - I think - ledgie dansven. Maybe other European countries have film, like Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden....???

There is a website for Free Festivals in the UK, where they are looking for film of The Bath Festival 28th of June 1969. There was a film crew there that day. And the description here gives a good idea of the problems of finding footage from these events. It has still photoes of FM:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/bA1.html

Oh Well....

Ms Moose

Last edited by Ms Moose; 01-09-2011 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
To make this footage more rare, Peter Green is playing his Fender Stratocaster. It doesn't matter the guitar, the tone is amazing!
This is something that always gets me. I know some guitars sound better than others but in the hands of a master, a cigar box and stick with a rubber band strtetched across it would sound great.

such is the case with Peter Green

doodyhead
Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
This is something that always gets me. I know some guitars sound better than others but in the hands of a master, a cigar box and stick with a rubber band strtetched across it would sound great.

such is the case with Peter Green

doodyhead
Right on! You hit the nail right on the head!

Ms Moose
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Just think that the BBC had the nerve to erase ANYTHING from this Golden Age of British Music! Who the hell would make a decision like that??? What a loss!!!

Maybe other European countries have film, like Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden....???
Yeah, well... Same problem over here in Holland. The Den Haag venue, shown on TV by NCRV (Netherlands Christian Radio Vereniging [Association]) has been erased as well. The Bas***ds!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The BBC has many countries, and copies.

Wouter,

I'm hoping that somewhere in Australia, or Canada, this footage still exists.

As for Amsterdam, or Norway, it's a long-shot.

That "Sugar Mama" from Holland 2/69 was shown on television??? I think my head just exploded.

I've played that song (bootleg) for Green fans, but more in the Hendrix/Clapton/Allman realm. They say it's on par with Jimi Hendrix.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-10-2011 at 01:16 AM..
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Baaaaang!!!

Quote:
Wouter,

That "Sugar Mama" from Holland 2/69 was shown on television??? I think my head just exploded.
SO DID MINE!!! With no "explosion smilies" a will have to do. Sugar Mama - Netherlands version - one of my favourite live recordings.
I am usually not a violent person, but this "erasing-footage business" makes me want to organize a posse.

Ms Moose
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sugar Mama gone

Slipkid and MsMoose:
Don't worry, as I mentioned above, it was the Den Haag venue that was broadcasted on TV. They played Den Haag at appriximately 20:00 o'clock. Later, at 24:00 they played in Amsterdam. Sugar Mama was from the Amsterdam show, thus not in Den Haag, thus not on on TV, thus not erased, thus nothing to be mad about.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Slipkid and MsMoose:
Don't worry, as I mentioned above, it was the Den Haag venue that was broadcasted on TV. They played Den Haag at appriximately 20:00 o'clock. Later, at 24:00 they played in Amsterdam. Sugar Mama was from the Amsterdam show, thus not in Den Haag, thus not on on TV, thus not erased, thus nothing to be mad about.
Do you remember the Den Haag setlist? FM used to mix up their setlists for every concert (under Peter Green) since the band was formed which wasn't the norm in 1969.

Of course today the Grateful Dead are credited as ("pioneers") one of those bands that don't follow a "script" on tour. Even if Den Haag has an "Albatross", it's a still a tragic loss of visual, and musical content. If there wasn't a "Sugar Mama", there had to be another song that captured Peter Green's mood that night, because he was "on".
Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Holland 1969 info

This is the information I have regarding FM in Holland 1969. Obviously they must have played longer, but this is all that has been broadcasted. Den Haag on TV, Amsterdam on radio.
I myself was there in De Doelen in Rotterdam. I do not have any vivid memories except for a long number where Mick bent over his hihat for a long time, and just kept on playing just the hihat. Must have been The Green Manalishi where Peter plays his 6-string bass. Also vague memories of a tiny fellow behind a guitar: Jeremy Spencer. I was only 18 then, and it was one of my few live concerts (really loved Pink Floyd show too). Memory fades "As the years go passing by" (Deadric Malone).
I now live in Groningen (since 1971). People I know that attended the Korenbeurs show have nice stories about how the show suddenly stopped because some dude in charge of facilities shut off the electricity because he didn't like the music and felt it was too loud.....

My favorite track? One Sided Love from Den Haag.

Anyway:

HOLLAND: THE HAGUE & AMSTERDAM, 1969-02-28
(Same tour: Korenbeurs, Groningen, 1969-03-01; De Doelen, Rotterdam, 1969-03-02)
Line-up: Peter Green : guitar, vocals Danny Kirwan : guitar, vocals
Jeremy Spencer : guitar, vocals John MacVie : bass guitar
Mick Fleetwood : drums
Tracks:
The Hague (Den Haag):
01. Introduction announcement
02. One Sided Love
03. Stop Messin’ Round *
04. San-Ho-Zay *
05. Albatross *
06. Tallahassie Lassie
07. Blue Suede Shoes *
08. Teenage Darlin’ (just the bass guitar)
09. Twist And Shout
Amsterdam:
10. Introduction announcement
11. Merry Go Round *
12. One Sided Love *
13. Dust My Broom *
14. Got To Move *
15. “Green Thoughts” *
16. Sugar Mama *
17. I Can’t Hold Out *
18. Tallahassie Lassie

Comments: Live bootleg

Recording quality : B
Playing quality : B

Other
* tracks released on bootlegs “Live in Amsterdam” and “Roughage 69”.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default That TV footage was head exploding material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
This is the information I have regarding FM in Holland 1969. Obviously they must have played longer, but this is all that has been broadcasted. Den Haag on TV, Amsterdam on radio.
I myself was there in De Doelen in Rotterdam. I do not have any vivid memories except for a long number where Mick bent over his hihat for a long time, and just kept on playing just the hihat. Must have been The Green Manalishi where Peter plays his 6-string bass. Also vague memories of a tiny fellow behind a guitar: Jeremy Spencer. I was only 18 then, and it was one of my few live concerts (really loved Pink Floyd show too). Memory fades "As the years go passing by" (Deadric Malone).
I now live in Groningen (since 1971). People I know that attended the Korenbeurs show have nice stories about how the show suddenly stopped because some dude in charge of facilities shut off the electricity because he didn't like the music and felt it was too loud.....

My favorite track? One Sided Love from Den Haag.

Anyway:

HOLLAND: THE HAGUE & AMSTERDAM, 1969-02-28
(Same tour: Korenbeurs, Groningen, 1969-03-01; De Doelen, Rotterdam, 1969-03-02)
Line-up: Peter Green : guitar, vocals Danny Kirwan : guitar, vocals
Jeremy Spencer : guitar, vocals John MacVie : bass guitar
Mick Fleetwood : drums
Tracks:
The Hague (Den Haag):
01. Introduction announcement
02. One Sided Love
03. Stop Messin’ Round *
04. San-Ho-Zay *
05. Albatross *
06. Tallahassie Lassie
07. Blue Suede Shoes *
08. Teenage Darlin’ (just the bass guitar)
09. Twist And Shout
Amsterdam:
10. Introduction announcement
11. Merry Go Round *
12. One Sided Love *
13. Dust My Broom *
14. Got To Move *
15. “Green Thoughts” *
16. Sugar Mama *
17. I Can’t Hold Out *
18. Tallahassie Lassie

Comments: Live bootleg

Recording quality : B
Playing quality : B

Other
* tracks released on bootlegs “Live in Amsterdam” and “Roughage 69”.

A televised version of "San-Ho-Zay", and "Tallahassee Lassie" is enough to get angry at short minded TV producers in Holland. "One Sided Love" from Amsterdam is killer, to see it televised would make your jaw drop. Danny Kirwan's confidence dropped the longer he was with Peter Green. Those early months with FM Kirwan could belt a solo ("One Sided Love'). By Boston 2/70, Kirwan was so intimidated. You can hear the difference between the concerts. BTW I bet the song you remember with Mick Fleetwood on the Hi-Hat was "Coming Your Way". Peter Green didn't introduce "The Green Manalishi" until late '69. Maybe that was the concert you remember later in the year.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-12-2011 at 01:46 AM..
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default confidence

What was going on with Danny is a function of Danny. Peter was a monster player by that time. The craziness of human dynamics is that personalities mesh in so many ways that one can't see it close up.

There is a great line in an old R & B song.
"The very thing that makes you rich makes me poor"
They had a strange symbiotic relationship with each other and each contributed to the total product. Together they were so incredibly formidable. That it had side effects.........Oh Well

doodyhead
Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
What was going on with Danny is a function of Danny. Peter was a monster player by that time. The craziness of human dynamics is that personalities mesh in so many ways that one can't see it close up.

There is a great line in an old R & B song.
"The very thing that makes you rich makes me poor"
They had a strange symbiotic relationship with each other and each contributed to the total product. Together they were so incredibly formidable. That it had side effects.........Oh Well
doodyhead
The cog in the wheel was Jeremy Spencer. While JS wasn't an active guitarist for Peter Green songs, or songs that featured Danny Kirwan, JS played great piano for some Peter Green blues songs, and some of the Fifties songs' Peter Green sang.

Jeremy Spencer wrote a song in 1969 that was protopunk; "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonight". It's been covered so many times by many punk bands. For that song alone, Jeremy Spencer grew beyond the blues.

Three guitarists was a crowd. That was the problem, so Peter Green left. IMHO (sorry Mr. Spencer), but the wrong guitarist left in May 1970.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-14-2011 at 01:44 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The cog in the wheel was Jeremy Spencer ...[...]
Slipkid, people just leave, it has nothing to do with right or wrong (my humble opinion)

/z
Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Slipkid, people just leave, it has nothing to do with right or wrong (my humble opinion)

/z
What I'm trying to say is that once Danny Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac, Jeremy's role became smaller. Jeremy logically would've been the first to leave. Peter Green came from the John Mayall/Eric Clapton school of thought that one should not stay in one place for so long. So he left first. Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green lasted longer than Cream.