User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Herald Sun October 22, 2016 6:00am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...5ff662f36475ca

Empire Of The Sun make magic with Fleetwood Mac, Prince and David Bowie star musicians

Kathy McCabe, National Music Writer, News Corp Australia Network

[excerpts]

And most famously, they asked Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham if he would join them on the Two Vines album.

Littlemore self-deprecatingly suggests these musical legends agreed to lend their talents to the Australian duo’s third record because they are “thoroughly nice people”.

So Melvoin, Buckingham and pianist Henry Hey and bassist Tim Lefebvre, who were members of David Bowie’s Blackstar band, surely would have heard of these eccentric, creative Australians.

“I think they did it out of the kindness and generosity of their hearts. I do. I think (Wendy and Lindsey) are both still so fascinated by music. They still love it,” Littlemore says.

“Lindsey would hear a lot of compliments (in our music) I would imagine because Fleetwood Mac was the first show I ever went to, at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, and we’ve never tried to hide the fact we were massively influenced by them.

“I believe the first press release about Empire said we were Daft Punk meets Fleetwood Mac.”

Two Vines is a reconciliation for these two vastly different men. Littlemore laughs when asked if Buckingham’s presence in the studio put them on their best behaviour.

The friction between the pair has more to do with fighting for their respective creative corners than it does with ego or the business of show business.

But he agrees they could have done with a referee when it came to choosing the songs which made the cut from the list of 70 tracks they wrote for Two Vines.

“We don’t really have one, which is probably annoying, it would be good to have someone impartial,” Littlemore says.

“It could be Lindsey but he’s already given us so much and I wouldn’t want to burden him with 70 songs and say ‘which one?’

“And we can’t compare our tiny, minuscule squabbles with the making of Rumours. What right do we have to ever have an argument? If they can do it
Old 10-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Faster Louder How Empire Of The Sun learned to stop worrying about EDM and love Mother Nature

by Jules LeFevre 24 October 2016 [excerpt]

http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/empir...-nature/867855

Were there any surprises in recording Two Vines?

Well, maybe the collaborators were a surprise. It was wonderful to work with Lindsey Buckingham. I’ve been working with Henry Hey and Tim Lefebvre for quite a while now and it just felt very natural to bring them into the fold. Lindsey, however, you never think you’re going to work with someone of that calibre. It’s crazy. If someone said to me today, “How does it feel to see your name on a thing next to his on songwriting credits,”…it’s bizarre. But if you meet him it feels completely natural. He’s the nicest person. He’s a lovely, lovely guy. He brought his son to the studio. We all just hung out and made music together. It was crazy. It was beautiful.

How was that introduction get made? How did he get brought in?

We send out a lot of emails out to people we’d like to work with. Some come back, some are too busy, and occasionally someone will come all the way through, and he just drove down. We had a studio in Downtown Los Angeles, which looks a bit like Mexico, in old rag trade building. And he just walked in one day with his guitar, and there he was: Lindsey Buckingham.

I’m glad you brought it up cause it’s a real dream team of collaborators on this album. There’s Lindsey, but also Wendy from the Revolution.

Yeah, Wendy came in right at the end. We were working in Jim Henson’s studio which was actually built by Charlie Chaplin and then Henson bought it off him and now it’s the Muppets, basically forever, I guess. Wendy has had a studio there for about 15, 20 years. She was in the building and maybe she liked us or something so we ended up in her room saying “Hi, we have this song, it’s kind of good but we can’t quite …” We left the song with her, we hadn’t quite finished it. She came down and she said “Come upstairs, I have something.” She prefaced it by saying, “I wouldn’t put something on here if it didn’t feel it right, I wouldn’t do anything …” But she played this thing to us. It was just wonderful.

What track is that?

It’s on a song called ‘Ride’.

Do you have any particular favourites?

The song I wrote with Lindsey, or rather, we wrote with Lindsey called ‘To Her Door’, I think is my favourite song on the record. I always like the gushier ones, I’m quite emotional like that but that one, for me, is really special. It’s simple, you know?

There’s a big vein of simplicity on Two Vines. Which I think is really nice. Even though I loved Ice On The Dune but it was definitely… a volcano of new sounds.
It was, it was little bit volcanic.

What’s been the biggest evolution for Empire Of The Sun?

We’ve been fortunate enough to reach people on a large scale and now for the first time I feel like I have something to say, and I want to tell people to look out for the planet. I know it’s not a new message but it’s really important to me. That’s the biggest thing is that I’m seizing the moment to actually talk about something important and it doesn’t matter what country we’re in, there’s always some ****ed up **** the government’s doing to the planet.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it looks like To Her Door completely failed to chart....anywhere.
I guess it wasn't really a proper release as it didn't have a video- maybe that would have made a big difference. I guess High and Low was the proper 'lead-out' single and at least that went top-20 in Australia.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
it looks like To Her Door completely failed to chart....anywhere.
I guess it wasn't really a proper release as it didn't have a video- maybe that would have made a big difference. I guess High and Low was the proper 'lead-out' single and at least that went top-20 in Australia.
The track wasn't quite what I was expecting. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't thrilled either.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll maybe give this album a try, but from what I've heard, I don't like them too much.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Empire of the Sun’s Luke Steele Says Working with Lindsey Buckingham Was Magical Experience

http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/empire-...abcid35799791/

BY ABC News Radio | October 28, 2016

Lindsey Buckingham has kept a pretty low profile since Fleetwood Mac‘s On with the Show world tour wrapped up late last year, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer does make a guest appearance Australian electronic music duo Empire of the Sun‘s new album, Two Vines, which was released on today. Buckingham contributed a shimmering guitar solo to song called “To Her Door,” which he also is credited with co-writing.

Empire of the Sun singer/guitarist Luke Steele tells ABC Radio that working with Buckingham in the studio was “just like magic,” describing him as an “infinite magician, just sort of pulling tricks out of the air.”

Steele adds of the experience, “Notes would just appear, and things fly in the room, and a dove disappears.”

You can check out “To Her Door” at Empire of the Sun’s official VEVO YouTube channel.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's hardly true. Some of his work outside of FM has been his best work.

Michele
100% agreed!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Nobody cares about his work outside of FM. I hate your thread title also.
You obviously haven't listened to his back-catalogue of solo albums. He is one of the finest musicians around, and his solo work easily matches up to his work with Fleetwood Mac.

Listen to the "Out Of The Cradle" album for example.

If you're not interested in his solo work then why view the "Lindsey Buckingham" section of this forum?
Old 11-17-2016, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bangkok Post 11/13/2016

NEWSPAPER SECTION: BRUNCH | WRITER: CHANUN POOMSAWAI

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle...ose-to-the-sun. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

[excerpt from review]

Stunning track To Her Door finds the boys linking up with Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham, giving us a dose of meditative lushness and tender, human moments.