Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Trouble in Wickhambreaux

[Ah Chris, come home to FM where things are peaceful. Stevie and Lindsey never threatened you with poly-tunnels]

Express Co. UK, March 28, 2010
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-ripped-apart-

THE ROCK STAR, THE 'NASTY' BB CONTESTANT AND A VILLAGE RIPPED APART

By Ian Read

AN IDYLLIC village is being shaken by a row between a retired rock star and one of Big Brother’s most *notorious contestants.

This time, however, “Nasty” Nick Bateman, kicked out of Big Brother’s first series for his double-dealing with his housemates, is not seen as the villain. That role is being assigned to Fleetwood Mac’s Christine McVie, who wrote Don’t Stop, which became President *Clinton’s campaign song.

Tensions rose after Ms McVie joined a consortium last year to buy fields next to the Little Stour river in the village of Wickhambreaux, near Canterbury in Kent. She has lived in the *village for more than a decade and was worried that the fields near her home would be used for unsightly poly-tunnels. However, her consortium promptly fenced off the fields, denying the *villagers access to the river.

SPRING HAS ARRIVED! GET YOUR FREE GARDENING DVD HERE

The furious residents are calling for the fences to go. Particularly angry is “Nasty” Nick Bateman, whose family home is now owned by Ms McVie.

As a boy he played by the stream and feels the rock star has let down the villagers. “The consortium promised to keep the land as it was,” he says. “By putting the fences up the *children are *unable to enjoy the river.

“It was hoped the consortium would gift the land to the village so it could be enjoyed as it has been for hundreds of years. It didn’t *happen.

“Other landowners bequeathed lands to the village and Christine McVie could have done the same.”

The author of How To Be A Right Bastard is also angry with fellow *villager and consortium member Mark Perkins, an investment consultant. Mr Perkins and three friends outvoted Ms McVie to put up the fences.

SEARCH UK NEWS for:

“Perkins acts like Mr Toad,” said Nick, referring to the arrogant and impulsive character from Wind In The Willows. “He used to live in the village a long time ago but returned to live here two years ago. He tells people he lives in the community but he isn’t part of it. People try to be civil with him but he just doesn’t listen.”

Residents are also angry because an old willow tree was cut down by the consortium.

Since 1964 Mrs Emmy Watts has lived close to the spot where the willow tree once stood. She said: “I’m heartbroken and horrified. The flood ditches are filled in and the children are unable to see the wildlife here. I’ve spoken to Mr *Perkins about it but he doesn’t want to know.”

Ms McVie, now 66, left Fleetwood Mac in 1997 and now guards her *privacy ferociously. Her palatial home is surrounded by high hedges and big fences and she rarely emerges except to walk her dogs. She hasn’t been photographed for a decade.

In an interview 10 years ago she said she enjoyed shopping in *Canterbury without being mobbed.

A pair of water engineers wanting to check drainage on her land were told to go away because she didn’t want to see anybody.

Opposite her home the drainage ditch filled in by the consortium can be seen. Further down the lane a small stream burst its banks. Local *councillor Brian Staley, who represents Wickhambreaux, Seaton and the nearby village of Ickham, said the drainage ditch was a vital run‑off for flood water .

“The willow tree was a popular landmark but according to Mr *Perkins it was taken down for health and safety reasons. Legally he might be in the right but morally he is wrong,” he said.

“A lot more communities will be affected like this as the Church Commission sells off land to finance its activities.”

Mr Staley said villagers are mounting a concerted push to get the land village green status so no development can take place on it and the fences have to be removed.

Canterbury City Council has confirmed it is investigating the loss of the tree.

A spokesman said: “Mr *Perkins will have to prove the tree was dangerous and he will have to replace it under the terms of the conservation area status.”

Zimbabwean businessman Mr Perkins claims the compensation culture is at the root of the decision to put up the fences, to avoid legal action from people who might injure themselves while on the land.

He said: “None of us set out to be landowners when this process began but since it started we have had to look at our obligations. The decision to put up one fence has been made by the consortium .

“I can understand where the emotion is coming from but I have to take advice on liability. In this compensation culture we live in we have to cover all eventualities.”

Relations between the rock star and the rest of the consortium are strained. Local people believe Ms McVie now wishes she had bought the whole parcel of land rather than joining the group.

Mr Perkins said: “The majority of owners decided the fence must go up. I do not talk to Christine McVie. She is totally independent.”
Old 03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine has not been photographed in a decade? Well . . .

Michele
Old 03-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Christine has not been photographed in a decade? Well . . .

Michele
Hasn't she really? Perhaps those photos were of Helen Mirren after all

No point in pretending we don't know exactly where she lives now then is there?

Sounds to me like Christine didn't want the fences put up but was outvoted.

This sounds like a storm in a tea cup (with a chocolate Hobnob)

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 03-28-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Old 03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That Big Brother wannabe should feel bloody privileged that Christine owns his home. The villagers complain now, but they'd be even more riled up if the land had been used for poly tunnels.

I might only be 16 but when I was little I could climb a fence to get to a river if I wanted to play, surely kids can still climb? Hmmpf I really can't imagine Christine making a fuss over a kid playing so what is there to complain about.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 03-28-2010, 02:44 PM

All she wants is to be left alone... is that too much to ask? Jeez
Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Sounds to me like Christine didn't want the fences put up but was outvoted.
Yes, that was strange. Bateman seemed like Christine was the one keeping the poor little children away from the river, then when you read on it seems she voted against the fences and is not in accord with the other consortium members.

Michele
Old 03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
To be fair, she needs to let the man in to check her drains!

Michele
Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
To be fair, she needs to let the man in to check her drains!

Michele
ONly if they whistle SYLM while they do it..
Old 03-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
This sounds like a storm in a tea cup (with a chocolate Hobnob)

Gail
Duck in the kitchen not included.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Of course it's not too much to ask.
I've always said that if I won the lottery, big time, that I'd either buy my own island, or about 500 acres of woods. with my house right in the middle of it.
I totally understand her desire for privacy!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, that was strange. Bateman seemed like Christine was the one keeping the poor little children away from the river, then when you read on it seems she voted against the fences and is not in accord with the other consortium members.

Michele
Yeah, I noticed this, too. For Christine who probably doesn't want to get involved in any politics, as it would draw her into relations with others, this article has to be a big annoyance. She can't win either way--no matter how she voted she would be cited as "the bad guy" here.

Maybe she should write an album about it...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Duck in the kitchen not included.
Hmmm. Christine never said how that ended. She realized that she never got that kind of delivery service in Los Angeles, picked him up and threw him in a pot.

Michele
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmmm. Christine never said how that ended. She realized that she never got that kind of delivery service in Los Angeles, picked him up and threw him in a pot.

Michele
I reckon the duck saw her zesting an orange and legged it

Here's an article from a local newspaper

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_...on_fences.aspx

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 03-29-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Janis Volckman wrote:

Seaton Marsh

I walk past Seaton Marsh every day. Within a matter of weeks a beautiful meadow has been turned into an Essex Girl's garden! I'm waiting for the garden gnomes to arrive! I can't wait for the day that Seaton Marsh is declared a Village Green. Janis Volckman, former Essex girl now Wickhambreaux woman.
Ahem

Quote:
Paul Harris wrote:

Seaton Marshes

Good that a local celeb has got behind this, this look like a problem that needs that kind of backing.
I get the impression he doesn't realise that a former member of Fleetwood Mac lives in his village.

Talking of back garden's, it still escapes me just why other people in Britain get such bad cases of NIMBY.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr

Last edited by ButterCookie; 03-29-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny to read this, when you know what he was saying about Chris Mcvie, 10 years ago...looks like friendship didn't last

http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic...36274010/pg_2/

Anyway, I don't see Christine as the "bad guy".
I'm surprised that no one seem to know who she is, I mean CHRISTINE MCVIE !
Even on the Wickhambreaux Wikipedia article, it is mentioned that Nick Bateman lives in the village, but nothing about her.