User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
What you said. Cept Stevie lost me earlier, on OSOTM. I LITERALLY(once even a huge fan) played it one time.

Still, imagine ITM's best 5 or 6 songs on SYW! THAT would've been an album I could've really gotten into!
Ah yes! That would have been worth a listen! Sigh

Gail
Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I find it absolutely divine that it's the Christine fans on the Christine board who feel the need to bring up Nicks all the time.
Ermm. Sorry can we not say her name?

I believe I also mentioned the M word and the J word. Is that also divine?

Gail
Old 11-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown
mediocre?

I can't figure it out, but I expected much more for this record...
Yeah. I have to admit, I don't think she really flies as a solo artist. I love her and her voice to bits, but as a reviewer put it, she works best as a 'side dish' than a main course. Or something to that effect. LOL. It's not that her solo work is BAD... I adore her Christine Perfect stuff, actually, and both the '84 album and ITM have good songs on it, but I don't think those last two are full, solid records. The jazz stuff, however? Rocks. I'm not even a big fan of that kind of music.

The best songs on ITM are Calumny and Friend. Those are my two favourites, along with Anything is Possible. Reminds me of something from the Mac days. Bad Journey is just... a bad song. The rest is kind of "eh". I wrote up an entire review during the summer. It's sitting in a notebook in my drawer.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
GateandGarden
This message has been deleted by GateandGarden.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:44 PM
GateandGarden
Old 11-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
mediocre?

Christine is mellow, MOR, AC. All three of her solo albums are like this. Yes, even the Perfect album has its boring songs and that's an album where she didn't practically write everything as in her later solo albums.

ITM is nice and mellow. Period. It never intended to break new ground and is nothing short of a cute little pet project with her nephew.

Last edited by Richard B; 11-21-2005 at 05:55 PM..
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I agree with you. I think that's just an awful song; I don't know what people see in it. But I think there are some other great tracks on there besides the ones you mentioned. I think "Forgiveness" is one of the best, but that one seems to get mixed reviews.

I love "Sweet Revenge" too, but I find myself wondering what "wicked ways" she intends to use to get her sweet revenge, exactly. So ominous and ambiguous. It's like Meatloaf. Just what is it that you won't do for love, man? You're so adamantly against it so what the hell is it???

Oh, yeah, I like Sweet Revenge. I was just singing that one last night.
Everyone seems to love You Are, and it got some radio play in the UK, but it's not really a favourite of mine. The random high notes kind of... eh. Don't really grab me. Forgiveness is okay. I also like So Sincere... more the lyrics than the song itself. It's a little cryptic. Reminds me of something you know who would've written, with the "Funny little white car with the broken light".

I think Northern Star could've been a great song, if it had been arranged properly.

If you go back a bit in my LJ, you'll find the post where I talked a bit about each of the songs. It's not a proper review, but it's basically my first impressions of them, since I posted it the day I bought it.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
I think Northern Star could've been a great song, if it had been arranged properly.
oh yea, and i love northern star, & calumny especially

Last edited by GypsySongbird; 11-21-2005 at 06:07 PM..
Old 11-21-2005, 05:59 PM
GateandGarden
Old 11-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't really get into it but I do think her voice still sounds amazing.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not mediocre at all for me. I like most of the songs, even if a couple seem composed on the autopilot. I agree, the production damaged the album. To sound homemade could work for grunge (if it still exists) but not for a sophisticated lady like her, IMO.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySongbird
oh yea, and i love northern star, & calumny especially
Calumny is my favourite, actually! I don't know if it's just me, but I tend to visualize voices... In terms of textures, and shapes, and stuff. I know, I'm insane. But there's a part where her voice sounds round, when she sings the word "soft" in the "oh, so soft and sweet" bit. It's just something in her voice that really gets to me. Same with Songbird, when she goes, "I wish it from myself". Chills.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I'm fond of "Northern Star," though I do think it would've benefitted from better/different production. My beef with "You Are" is how cheesy it is, but I find it very listenable regardless. Some of the lyrics in "So Sincere" really bother me. Not a bad song, though. Anyway...
it is a bit cheesy... Therefore, radio friendly. I kid.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
It's not mediocre at all for me. I like most of the songs, even if a couple seem composed on the autopilot. I agree, the production damaged the album. To sound homemade could work for grunge (if it still exists) but not for a sophisticated lady like her, IMO.

Romy
I think there are only a few songs that sound very polished. Calumny, Northern Star, and Friend spring to mind.

In terms of lyrics, I think some of them border on being overly cheesy... But then again, I have to say, most of her songs do. I don't think she'd object to that statement either, as she's said she's a "pretty basic songwriter". And she is. She's never been very prolific, with the exception of songs like Songbird, and Show Me a Smile. I think, though her songs are very simple (a style that I believe comes from her background in jazz), it's her delivery that really makes them what they are. Some songs just have to be sung by the right person.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
mediocre?

I've heard others say something like this and I just don't understand it. It rocked, grooved, kicked, swayed, cruised, simmered, burned, and cooked. There weren't any piano ballads on it, but the record had a lot to offer. Why couldn't more people see this?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
I've heard others say something like this and I just don't understand it. It rocked, grooved, kicked, swayed, cruised, simmered, burned, and cooked. There weren't any piano ballads on it, but the record had a lot to offer. Why couldn't more people see this?
i see it!!! although, that is quite a few things to see!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It's dull, light mallpop. Something one would likely hear while browsing the travel section at Waldenbooks. Half of the album is great fun, while the other half just gives off the impression that she shouldn't have bothered. It's inoffensive enough, but a whole album of it is just too damned much.

If half of any album is great, I'd say it was justified...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
There weren't any piano ballads on it, but the record had a lot to offer. Why couldn't more people see this?
That was what I noticed first: No piano! Calumny was the only song with piano, right? I think that is what people expect from her, since the piano is what she is associated with. Hey, that's what I was expecting from her, too. I don't think this is a terrible album, but nothing to get totally excited about... I guess it all comes down to personal taste.