Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Two words:

Two Much

Old 08-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I loved the acting in The Human Stain (also because Anthony Hopkins is my absolute favorite ), but I think the movie needed a director with a little more courage.

Dogville is wonderful, Lars Von Trier has outdone himself and Nicole Kidman has been able to tranform her role in an icon. And Young Americans at the end was a great touch . She would deserve another Oscar for it, but I'm not sure the Academy can digest such an uncompromising film.

About Penelope Cruz, I'm not a great fan of hers, but she's recently given a beautiful performance in an Italian movie called Non ti muovere, that here has won every possible award. She could have with it some Oscar chances too, IMO.

Romy
I thought Hopkins was miscast. I was a HUGE fan of the book (I even have my copy signed by the author and in plastic) and think it's one of the great American novels. He was good, but there was just something that didn't click; he didn't have that nervous intensity that I was looking for. Kidman was breathtaking, though, and Ed Harris was fabulous (as always).

Dogville has quickly become one of my favorite movies, everything about it is perfect. I think at the most she'll get nominated for it. The Oscars are notorious popularity contests, so they'll just give it to the star who was in the highest profile movie. I mean, I'm still shocked that Julia Roberts won for "Erin brockovich" over Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem For A Dream," which I consider the best performance ever put on film. And I also can't believe Cher won for "Moonstruck" over Sally Kirkland for "Anna." Such travesties.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Want to know something even scarier?

I. Own. It.

I really like Melanie Griffith (can we say "Something Wild"?), but that movie was the biggest stinkbomb ever.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I KNOW!!! Doesn't it just make you want to vomit??!!? And can anyone say "Training Day?" 'cause I think his new movie has been made before (and probably better) with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke.
Nothing with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke is better than something with Tom Cruise. I think he's hot, and i love him.
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. She can act up a storm, she just chooses ****ty projects. I doubt her career will ever recover from the debacle that is Catwoman.
THat's one boring storm, my friend - and even if she is acting well, it's still boring....
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I *loathe* Tom Cruise. Always have. Always will. I think he's crap.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 08-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
THat's one boring storm, my friend - and even if she is acting well, it's still boring....
AMber
I thought she was superb in Monster's Ball and Introducing Dorothy Dandridge.

I can't believe she's starring in the remake of Foxy Brown, though. I love my Pam Grier.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
I *loathe* Tom Cruise. Always have. Always will. I think he's crap.
I *love* Tom Cruise. Always have. Always will. I think he's hot. And a very nice, funny man.
AMber

Old 08-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought she was superb in Monster's Ball and Introducing Dorothy Dandridge.

I can't believe she's starring in the remake of Foxy Brown, though. I love my Pam Grier.
You know Pam has Stevie's birthday?
AMber

Old 08-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
You know Pam has Stevie's birthday?
AMber
Tell her to give it back.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought Hopkins was miscast. I was a HUGE fan of the book (I even have my copy signed by the author and in plastic) and think it's one of the great American novels. He was good, but there was just something that didn't click; he didn't have that nervous intensity that I was looking for. Kidman was breathtaking, though, and Ed Harris was fabulous (as always).
I'm a huge fan of the book too (so much that I try to convince everybody I know to read it ) and I loved Tony in the movie, but it's not my favorite performance of him. He tends to give more with directors who know how to challenge his insecurities (like Oliver Stone, or Julie Taymor).

Quote:
Dogville has quickly become one of my favorite movies, everything about it is perfect. I think at the most she'll get nominated for it. The Oscars are notorious popularity contests, so they'll just give it to the star who was in the highest profile movie. I mean, I'm still shocked that Julia Roberts won for "Erin brockovich" over Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem For A Dream," which I consider the best performance ever put on film. And I also can't believe Cher won for "Moonstruck" over Sally Kirkland for "Anna." Such travesties. :nod
I haven't seen Anna, but Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream created an unforgettable work of art . Another case, in which Academy voters preferred to go ridicolously safe, like in 1997, with the infamous triumph of The English Patient, preferred to Fargo and Secrets & Lies .

Romy
Old 08-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of the book too (so much that I try to convince everybody I know to read it ) and I loved Tony in the movie, but it's not my favorite performance of him. He tends to give more with directors who know how to challenge his insecurities (like Oliver Stone, or Julie Taymor).
I find that Hopkins is at the top of his game when there's a fabulous director onboard. If not, he just goes through the motions and collects the check.

Quote:
I haven't seen Anna, but Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream created an unforgettable work of art . Another case, in which Academy voters preferred to go ridicolously safe, like in 1997, with the infamous triumph of The English Patient, preferred to Fargo and Secrets & Lies .
You MUST see Anna, Sally Kirkland was unforgettable. That ending...oh my lucky stars. And The English Patient was sheer torture.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe none of you have mentioned this one yet...

JESSICA SIMPSON!!!!!

Can't someone just shoot the dumb blonde and get it overwith?

Old 08-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Junior Ledgie

Tom Cruise. If I ever have to view that toothy grin again, it will be too soon.

Michael Douglas just makes me want to bathe every time I see him.... and coupled with Catherine Zeta-Jones (who I also can't stand) is just too much of an annoyance to bear.

Brad Pitt

Mel Gibson

The list can go on and on....
Old 08-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladystardust
Tom Cruise. If I ever have to view that toothy grin again, it will be too soon.

Michael Douglas just makes me want to bathe every time I see him.... and coupled with Catherine Zeta-Jones (who I also can't stand) is just too much of an annoyance to bear.

Brad Pitt

Mel Gibson

The list can go on and on....
Ooooh, I forgot about Michael Douglas and Mel Gibson! Everytime I see or hear about Mel Gibson now I think of the South Park episode that totally (excuse the pun) crucified him! Gotta love those guys...