Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Ledgie

Default "The Green Maharishi"

I always wondered why the song title "The Green Manalishi" sounds so familiar in spite the word "Manalishi" seems to be unknown to the world.

These days i remembered that Mick Fleetwood writes in "My Life And Adventures in Fleetwood Mac" about the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi-scandal (p.70p).

Suddenly i knew why the word "Manalishi" sounds so familiar: it seems to be a variation (or maybe a misspelling) of Maharishi (And the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi-scandal fits perfect[ly] to theme of the song too).

But Green is not only a colour and a token but Peters Greens last name too:

Family name: Green told "Guitar" magazine (January 1997): "The Green Manalishi is the wad of notes, the devil is green and he was after me." I wonder if Peter Green realized in that moment that he is Green? So the sentence could be read: The devil is Peter Green - too, not just the "greenbacks".

token
*) to go green with envy
*) green with envy
*) it all comes down to the green

By the way: The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi-scandal made John Lennon write "Sexy Sadie": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Sadie_(song).

Last edited by Popmuseum; 08-28-2008 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: Linkfix
Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Certainly the "Manalishi" - "Maharishi" similarity seems obvious, though I don't recall ever seeing an interview where Peter was asked about that specifically.

Of course Peter's family name is Greenbaum, not Green - but I think you're right that Peter's using the word "green" in this song title seems very intentional. "The Green Manalishi" was not the first song where Peter made deliberate use of the word "green". Remember "Show-Biz Blues", where he sings:
You're sitting there so green
believe me, man, I'm just the same as you
Old 10-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Certainly the "Manalishi" - "Maharishi" similarity seems obvious, though I don't recall ever seeing an interview where Peter was asked about that specifically.
Just read the brandnew Mojo-Interview (Thanks to Norton). Peter Green tells Phil Sutcliffe about the biblical origins of the Manalishi: "'Manna' is bread, 'bread' is money ...".

By the way: I like this forum and it's helpful members a lot. Great!

Last edited by Popmuseum; 10-07-2008 at 03:23 PM..