User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Christine's Tusk songs are weird, for lack of a better word, weird and underproduced. They're all too laid back and folky and acoustic-y. Christine is supposed to have the catchy poppy songs. Lindsey did not produce Christine's Tusk songs to their full potential. Over & Over is her best song on the album, but only because it was so awesome live, the album version should have been more like the live versions. Think About Me is okay, very forgettable, a different instrumental and vocal arrangement is in order here. I don't like that Lindsey just steals the lead, it should have been Christine on lead with Lindsey and Stevie on chorus. Brown Eyes sounds really cool, but I hate the clicking and it's too simple, it needs more catchy and poppy added to it. Never Make Me Cry is a good slow Christine song, although not as good as Songbird, Oh Daddy, Only Over You and Mystified. And Never Make Me Cry is also too short and simple. Honey Hi and Never Forget are also too short and simple, and too weird and folky. Overall, Christine's songs on Tusk are just missing her signature Fleetwood Mac pop sound that she provided on every other Rumours era album. For example, Say You Love Me, Don't Stop, You Make Loving Fun, Hold Me, Everywhere, and Little Lies.
Everything you said I feel the exact opposite. They were beautifully produced, gorgeous songs. Were they the signature sound? No but wasn't that the whole point? When I first heard the album I was blown the f away. Loved it from the start and love it today.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Everything you said I feel the exact opposite. They were beautifully produced, gorgeous songs. Were they the signature sound? No but wasn't that the whole point? When I first heard the album I was blown the f away. Loved it from the start and love it today.
Word.

Kevin
Old 05-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
Word.

Kevin

Ahhhh.yep!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yipppee we agree on something

Old 05-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ITA! I just love Tusk so much for this reason. People always think of Lindsey's songs as being the 'different' sound, which no doubt they were the most different, but I think both Christine and Stevie's songs just had something done in their production that gave them that little hint of something different as well. That's why I think the album still ties so well all together, even if all the songs have a very different flavor.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yes to all of this!!!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie said that's why she put him on the end of WISYA and she said that he never would have chosen to close the song himself. She put his voice on at the end, because she wanted it to be a conversation between lovers.

Michele
Do you really think SHE had the say of who was going to close the song? I think appeasing her with a nod and a grin is probably the most control she ever had.

No wonder she doesn't want to record with them.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
...When I See You Again is using Lindsey to make the song between two lovers, since he was the only male in the band. Stevie said that's why she put him on the end of WISYA and she said that he never would have chosen to close the song himself. She put his voice on at the end, because she wanted it to be a conversation between lovers.

Michele
I remember reading Stevie saying something like this when the album first came out. I think it was in CREEM magazine or something like that. She said the original was her harmonizing with Lindsey on that last verse and then, when he wasn't at the controls, she erased her own voice and featured his because it was so vulnerable--I think that was her word. Can't recall exactly. Anyway, at the time, I remember thinking, "When would Lindsey ever let you make a decision like that without his knowing about it?" Then, reading Stevie's contributions to the Tango reissue liner notes, where she says LB removed some of her vocals because she was out of tune, I'm guessing the reason only he is singing in the last verse is because of the latter, not the former. But who knows?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I remember reading Stevie saying something like this when the album first came out. I think it was in CREEM magazine or something like that. She said the original was her harmonizing with Lindsey on that last verse and then, when he wasn't at the controls, she erased her own voice and featured his because it was so vulnerable--I think that was her word. Can't recall exactly. Anyway, at the time, I remember thinking, "When would Lindsey ever let you make a decision like that without his knowing about it?" Then, reading Stevie's contributions to the Tango reissue liner notes, where she says LB removed some of her vocals because she was out of tune, I'm guessing the reason only he is singing in the last verse is because of the latter, not the former. But who knows?
Stevie? Having a CLUE about how to erase a vocal in a huge studio. She's always been delusional, and lies(IMO) like this prove it.

She erased it? Hahahahaha...I might never stop laughing. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Yipppee we agree on something
Yes and I also think Stevie's songs were phenomenal. How about that?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Stevie? Having a CLUE about how to erase a vocal in a huge studio. She's always been delusional, and lies(IMO) like this prove it.

She erased it? Hahahahaha...I might never stop laughing. Thanks!
I remember her telling that story too and I smelled BS big time. She sneaked in and took herself off. Please!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes and I also think Stevie's songs were phenomenal. How about that?
They are .her greatest set of songs on any album IMHO.. her artistic peak.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For me Tusk has always been the creative peak of Fleetwood Mac.
I love all of Christine's songs on Tusk -- especially Over and Over, Brown Eyes and Honey Hi.
The version of Brown Eyes (Yesterday's Tears) on the alternate Tusk disc is quite possibly her finest moment in all the years of Fleetwood Mac.

The harmonies and guitar on Over and Over, the harmonies on Honey Hi are just about as stellar as it gets for this band. Song for song, it might be her strongest collection of songs on any FM album - but I think because Lindsey was so heavily weighted on the album, her songs got a little lost for the media and radio.

Tusk is the equivalent to Pet Sounds for the Beach Boys and The White Album for the Beatles. I bought it when it came out in 1979 and I've never stopped listening to it since then.
For me it's what gave Fleetwood Mac it's timelessness and ongoing credibility.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ok, critic hat on...
I love Over and Over, Think About Me and Brown Eyes, all some of the best she ever wrote.
Honey Hi ok but just ok to me.
Never Make Me Cry is like Songbird pt.2 but not as good as Songbird.
Never Forget to me is forgettable

I'm one of those people who like Tusk, hated it when it came out and then came to love it a few years later...so, kudos to an artistic act that challenges its audience...
however....
to me the '75 album will always be the peak of this band, it's darker than Rumours but it has a togetherness vibe that is lacking in all subsequent albums...darker in sound, that is, but brighter in its outlook. again, MHO...

Last edited by lennonfan; 05-22-2017 at 06:29 AM..
Old 05-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
ok, critic hat on...
I love Over and Over, Think About Me and Brown Eyes, all some of the best she ever wrote.
Honey Hi ok but just ok to me.
Never Make Me Cry is like Songbird pt.2 but not as good as Songbird.
Never Forget to me is forgettable

I'm one of those people who like Tusk, hated it when it came out and then came to love it a few years later...so, kudos to an artistic act that challenges its audience...
My favorites Christine's Tusk songs are Over and Over, Think About Me and Never Make Me Cry. I find so many emotion in Never Make Me Cry. To me, it's one of her best songs.
I think that those feelings about Tusk were shared by many fans. Hate or dislike first and love much, much later. Love at first sight was not an option.

Kudos to Lindsey and his idea of not delivering Rumours 2.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 05-22-2017 at 03:01 PM..